Supermarket Shakeup

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

dan62483
New to the Neighborhood

Supermarket Shakeup

Post by dan62483 »

From Baker's parent company Kroger's website...

KROGER TO PURCHASE THREE ALBERTSON’S STORES IN OMAHA AREA

CINCINNATI, OH, July 23, 2004 – The Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR) today announced it has reached an agreement with No Frills Supermarkets Inc. to purchase three Albertson’s stores in the Omaha area. The transaction is expected to be complete by early September. Financial terms were not disclosed.

The three stores, which Albertson’s had previously agreed to sell to No Frills, average approximately 57,600 square feet in size. They are located at the following addresses:

-4405 N. 72nd St., Omaha
-12025 West Center, Omaha
-3614 Twin Creek Drive, Bellevue

The stores will become part of the Company’s Dillons division, which currently operates 112 stores in Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska primarily under the Dillons, Baker’s and Gerbes banners. The three acquired stores will operate under the Baker’s banner.

"Omaha is an important area that offers attractive opportunities to expand our business,” said John Bays, Dillons president. “The acquisition of these three stores will enable us to provide better convenience, value and service to our customers. We look forward to interviewing Albertson’s employees for potential jobs.”

http://www.kroger.com/press_tmp.asp?fil ... newsspeech
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'm glad to see Kroger is showing they're committed to the Omaha market.

Thanks for sharing that... and welcome to the forum Dan!
dan62483
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dan62483 »

I think Kroger is lucky to get one of Albertson's newest stores at 120th and Center....however, it makes me wonder if they would consider closing the 132nd and Center store as they will be very close to eachother. As a Baker's associate it is nice to know that Kroger is committed to Omaha...I wouldn't want to go through what the Albertson's employees are going through now.
omahaismyhomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omahaismyhomaha »

:( I hope 132nd and center doesnt close
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

This is good news. Last I had heard Kroger's had no new Bakers stores planned, maybe this change of heart means we can look for another W. Omaha Bakers soon.
Sodak
Home Owners Association

Post by Sodak »

From what I have heard, the Bakers at 132nd and Center will close. I am not certain if No Frills will move in there or not.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I never cared much for the parking arrangement at the 132nd and West Center location. I never liked the parking situation at the Oakview Best Buy... which will purportedly move once the Village Pointe location is done as well.
dan62483
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dan62483 »

I have not heard anything about the 132nd and Center store closing...certainly not good news for the Albertsons employees that will have to re-apply for their jobs for the new Baker's store at 120th and Center... it would make sense to transfer all the employees down the street rather than re-training Albertsons employees on new products, etc.
As for No Frills, they were uncomfortable with the amount of stores they had to purchase to make the deal work with Albertsons...that's why they sold some to Baker's/Kroger, so at least now, if Baker's Square closes, we'll just have to put up with another empty building. :(
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

The Steinmart is opening next door... I'm sure that location would be picked up by another merchant within a short period of time. Seems like it's a little smallish by todays standards for a grocery store anyway (what am I saying? I grew up accompanying my parents to the Shavers at 90th and West Center... today... apparently only big enough to accomodate a convenience store!)
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Most worrisome to me is the Bag N Save at 108th & L closing and moving into Albertson's at 108th & Q. A great move for Bag N Save, however what will happen to that land now? Already there is a very ugly vacant lot in front of Bag N Save on 108th where Hardee's (I think) used to be. When Bag N Save moves there will be a large parcel of land that will be quite unpleasant to look at everyday.

Hopefully a good developer will pick it up, but probably not until 108th is widened and improved, which doesn't look like anytime soon.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I wouldn't worry about the (soon to be) former Bag and Save location at 108th and L... this is a very high traffic area, it will get picked up quickly. I wouldn't be surprised to see another hotel go in there.
dan62483
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dan62483 »

According to my "sources" there will not be any stores closing in the near future...atleast not until January of 2005. There are several stores (buildings) that Baker's/Kroger doesn't own, they pay rent (actually to Jack Baker, Abe Baker's son, who apparently owns a lot of commercial real estate properties in the city.) I am not for certain which ones we are renting...but for sure 132nd is a rental property, but it wouldn't surprise me if Kroger would want to get rid of those rental properties...especially since the rent is going to Jack Baker.
Brad
City Council

correct

Post by Brad »

Your sources are correct. I believe that Jack Bakers company is/was called PDM. Stories I have heard is that after Jack sold Baker's and still owned the properties, he kind of screwed Bakers parent company Flemming, which is now out of business.