MECA Business News (CLCO/TDAPO)

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: MECA Business News (CLCO/TDAPO)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
I did talk with someone from MECA the other day who did say there were concert announcements coming soon.
I hope so...I am so sick and tired of hearing about other arena getting all the "big" concerts lately.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

On cue a big two night act is announced.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:On cue a big two night act is announced.
Since I have talked to them, Bette Midler and Garth Brooks have both been announced.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just thought I would post this from this past weekend's article in the World Herald: The Centurylink Center, although no longer as highly ranked as it was in 2004, is still turning a profit.

When it opened in 2003, it was the only arena of its size in a 350-mile radius. It quickly became a regional concert goliath, attracting many of the biggest tours.
According to industry-tracker Pollstar, the nearly 340,000 concert tickets the Omaha arena sold in 2004 ranked it 17th in the world. Yes, the world.
But along came Des Moines’ Wells Fargo Arena (2005), Kansas City’s Sprint Center (2007) and Lincoln’s Pinnacle Bank Arena (2013), all cutting into that business.
By 2013, CenturyLink’s concert ticket sales had dropped by more than half, though they’ve rebounded some since. Reduced takes from concerts are no doubt a big reason that the quasi-governmental agency that oversees CenturyLink has seen its annual profits drop from a peak of more than $5 million in 2008 to $519,000 in 2014.
CenturyLink continues to hold its own on concerts. Pollstar in 2014 ranked it No. 73 in the world, behind Sprint Center (32nd) but ahead of Pinnacle Bank (111th) and Wells Fargo (115th). Now 2015 is shaping up as another big year, particularly boosted by six shows by country superstar Garth Brooks that most arenas would have killed for.
“Promoters know Omaha is a market that produces,’’ Dixon said.
Even with a new arena opening just six miles away, Dixon acknowledges that CenturyLink’s biggest competitor will continue to be Pinnacle Bank, a similar-size arena that most concert promoters consider to be in the same market as CenturyLink.
During its first year, 2013, Pinnacle Bank attracted more of North America’s top 25 concert tours than CenturyLink did, though that reversed in 2014.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I always think it's interesting how they state it's turning an operating profit. It does not take into account the cost of building and the big shortfall on the original projections on how the bonds were going to be repaid.

Don't get me wrong, this has been great for Omaha and the whole area.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/thinkin ... 24a76.html
Among the items under consideration:

» Temporary bungalows that fans could rent out for the games. These would have flat-screen TVs, bathrooms and air conditioning, along with an awning off to the side.

» A family-friendly area in a grassy spot north of the CenturyLink Center, offering a Ferris wheel, food trucks and other activities.

» A zipline along 10th Street, starting around Mike Fahey Street and running in front of the convention center and arena.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They need to do something. They still don't have the cool vibe the event had at Rosenblatt. This might help.

Here's another article. I noticed MECA is identifying the north lot for one of the garages. They threw a fit when the city suggested that for TD park. At the time it was because they planned expand the convention center into that lot. Now that they are suggesting a parking garage, I assume that means they no longer plan on eventually expanding it.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/meca-om ... 9682f.html

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote:They need to do something. They still don't have the cool vibe the event had at Rosenblatt. This might help.

Here's another article. I noticed MECA is identifying the north lot for one of the garages. They threw a fit when the city suggested that for TD park. At the time it was because they planned expand the convention center into that lot. Now that they are suggesting a parking garage, I assume that means they no longer plan on eventually expanding it.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/meca-om ... 9682f.html

Greg
I don't think more corporate sponsored activities or prefabricated tailgating sheds are what's going to bring that missing quality that Rosenblatt had. Actually, I'm pretty sure that will even further the divide of the two venues.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Although at the end of it's life, there were a bunch of houses over there that were bought by corporate types just for those two weeks. Plus the rental place right across the street. As much as we think about it still being a neighborhood, 13th was pretty corporate during the CWS.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

The loss of "feeling" about Rosenblatt has less to do with the aging stadium and more to do about the rapid escalation in commercialization of NCAA Sports. Even college football games are losing the "feeling".
No posts exist for this topic
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Rock Candy: 2 big arenas, 1 huge year for concerts
CenturyLink Center hosted 16 concerts in 2015, and Pinnacle Bank Arena hosted 12. Both venues are among the top 200 worldwide.
That’s more than 25 huge arena concerts within an hour’s drive, and among the 22 tours that played at either arena, 18 of them were among the top 100 tours in North America

Brooks’ six shows at the CenturyLink Center left a big mark on the area.
His 101,863 tickets sold were 45 percent of the arena’s overall concert sales for 2015.
Brooks’ six-night stand in May was the No. 36 highest grossing concert in the world last year, and it pulled in more than $6.7 million in ticket sales. It was the second highest gross of Brooks’ entire 2015 tour. (Arena officials are very happy. No surprise there.)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Going to be an interesting year for Century Link Center. Garth as noted in the article was a big chunk of the concert ticket sales. Plus this will be the first full year with no UNO hockey there.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:Going to be an interesting year for Century Link Center. Garth as noted in the article was a big chunk of the concert ticket sales. Plus this will be the first full year with no UNO hockey there.

Greg
When hockey left, they were saying that should help to lure a few more events/concerts there with those Friday/Saturday night time slots now available. As a Creighton fan, I like hockey not being there. Before, many of the Creighton Saturday games were forced to the 1 pm slot so they could tear down and set up for that night's hockey game.

This month is decent for the CLink:
5 Creighton games
Black Sabbath
Jason Aldean

Next month:
4 Creighton games
3 days of state high school wrestling

But overall I agree, they are going to have to work to fill the time slots this year without Garth.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There is a massive swimming event.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:There is a massive swimming event.
Is the sweet 16 this year too?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Greg S wrote:Going to be an interesting year for Century Link Center. Garth as noted in the article was a big chunk of the concert ticket sales. Plus this will be the first full year with no UNO hockey there.

Greg
When hockey left, they were saying that should help to lure a few more events/concerts there with those Friday/Saturday night time slots now available. As a Creighton fan, I like hockey not being there. Before, many of the Creighton Saturday games were forced to the 1 pm slot so they could tear down and set up for that night's hockey game.

This month is decent for the CLink:
5 Creighton games
Black Sabbath
Jason Aldean

Next month:
4 Creighton games
3 days of state high school wrestling

But overall I agree, they are going to have to work to fill the time slots this year without Garth.
Yeah UNO being gone will be good for Creighton. Those days though were they had both were so good for the businesses down there though. The swim meet will help this year.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:There is a massive swimming event.
Is the sweet 16 this year too?
That's 2018 I think.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah Swim Trials this year but Sweet 16 in 2018. It is more prestigious than the opening weekend but you have half as many teams and games as we are used to having with the opening round.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Still think they need a second shot at an AHL team and put it in the CLink. Just curtain off the top bowl. If nothing else, people will fill it up to be "seen".

Or, Creighton Basketball needs to finally schedule and play UNO Hockey. That will solve most problems.
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:Still think they need a second shot at an AHL team and put it in the CLink. Just curtain off the top bowl. If nothing else, people will fill it up to be "seen".

Or, Creighton Basketball needs to finally schedule and play UNO Hockey. That will solve most problems.
I'd love to have AHL hockey back in Omaha.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MECA reports a ‘solid’ profit of $3.1 million for fiscal year 2015
The profit figure for the fiscal year that ended in June 2015 represents a $120,000 decrease from the $3.27 million that MECA made in 2014. But the 2014 figure included $1.2 million from the City of Omaha, which purchased a parking lot from the organization.
There were 356 events at the convention center and arena in 2015, the lowest in the past five years. But the convention center set records for attendance, and the arena had more than 180,000 people show up for concerts — the second-highest figure since 2010.

The CenturyLink Center, then, generated the brunt of the organization’s profits.
The group had $28.3 million in total revenue.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I know the CLCO is 12 years old now, but how long does a commercial grade heating system last?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:I know the CLCO is 12 years old now, but how long does a commercial grade heating system last?
In my world for commercial / Industrial we planned for 20 years and depreciated at 15 years.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:MECA reports a ‘solid’ profit of $3.1 million for fiscal year 2015
The profit figure for the fiscal year that ended in June 2015 represents a $120,000 decrease from the $3.27 million that MECA made in 2014. But the 2014 figure included $1.2 million from the City of Omaha, which purchased a parking lot from the organization.
There were 356 events at the convention center and arena in 2015, the lowest in the past five years. But the convention center set records for attendance, and the arena had more than 180,000 people show up for concerts — the second-highest figure since 2010.

The CenturyLink Center, then, generated the brunt of the organization’s profits.
The group had $28.3 million in total revenue.
Are they still losing money on TD Ameritrade?

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the article:
The baseball stadium reflected a net loss of $167,000 last year. MECA was responsible for $100,000 of that loss. The rest was covered by the city.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:I know the CLCO is 12 years old now, but how long does a commercial grade heating system last?
In my world for commercial / Industrial we planned for 20 years and depreciated at 15 years.
Well I guess if they start planning now, it will be 15 before they know it.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

skinzfan23 wrote:From the article:
The baseball stadium reflected a net loss of $167,000 last year. MECA was responsible for $100,000 of that loss. The rest was covered by the city.
Fascinating.

Remember when our city leaders swore up and down that the ballpark would turn a profit with only the CWS as a tenant? They said anything else they might put in there from Creighton, concerts, football, or even minor league baseball would simply be gravy and the facility would be profitable based on only the 2 weeks of the CWS.

It's seeming more and more like that was a "rose colored glasses" projection.

And, barring MECA landing a significant tenant, the losses on the ballpark may only go up as the facility ages and becomes more costly to operate.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

omaha79 wrote:And, barring MECA landing a significant tenant, the losses on the ballpark may only go up as the facility ages and becomes more costly to operate.
When they start selling beer in 2016 and people actually stay for 7 innings and not 3 or 4 before heading to the beer tent, they may end up doing better on concessions as a whole. Say on 20% of the crowd drinks (.20 X 24,000 = 4800) take that times $7 a beer, that is $33,600 per game. Whats the markup on beer? Even if the beer cost them $3 a cup, that's still $4 proft times 4800 people = $19,200 per game? Times what 15 games? Conservative estimate, that's $288,000 profit on beer.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good thinking on that one Brad. I forgot all about the new beer sales. That should make a difference.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Brad wrote:
omaha79 wrote:And, barring MECA landing a significant tenant, the losses on the ballpark may only go up as the facility ages and becomes more costly to operate.
When they start selling beer in 2016 and people actually stay for 7 innings and not 3 or 4 before heading to the beer tent, they may end up doing better on concessions as a whole. Say on 20% of the crowd drinks (.20 X 24,000 = 4800) take that times $7 a beer, that is $33,600 per game. Whats the markup on beer? Even if the beer cost them $3 a cup, that's still $4 proft times 4800 people = $19,200 per game? Times what 15 games? Conservative estimate, that's $288,000 profit on beer.
That's a very good point. I wonder how much, if any, the ballpark under-performing the rose colored glasses revenue projections of being profitable with no other events besides the CWS could have played into the decision making process to try out selling beer at the games?

People can tout the economic benefit of the event for the surrounding community all they want, and it is significant, but losing a couple hundred thousand a year, and possibly more in subsequent years due to higher maintenance costs, likely isn't what the city of Omaha and MECA had in mind for the facility. I'm sure they would push for any revenue streams to get the ballpark back to being revenue neutral at minimum.

And, I don't see many other viable revenue streams out there besides pushing booze at the CWS. Minor league football has been tried and failed twice. Independent League baseball is a non-starter.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't think concerts are viable either. Why have an outdoor concert which has so many variables, when you can have the same concert across the street, run by the same organization, that is built for concerts.

Honestly, I don't really care if TD Ameritrade or the CentruyLink Center make money as long as MECA is making money as whole. Use one to balance out the other is fine in my book. That doesn't usually work in the business world, but I think its just fine in a quasi government organization.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald regarding the State wrestling tournament held at the Century Link Center:
This past weekend’s crowd was unbelievable. Saturday’s attendance was 11,440. They pushed over 45,000 through the doors for the three days combined, a 10-year high.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Going forward is this staying in Omaha? I can't remember if we have had to bid against Lincoln and PBA yet.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Going forward is this staying in Omaha? I can't remember if we have had to bid against Lincoln and PBA yet.

Greg

In 2014 the NSAA chose to stay in Omaha for five years. At this time they would have had PBA as competition.

http://journalstar.com/sports/high-scho ... dcf4a.html

At its monthly meeting Thursday, the board voted 7-1 to keep the tournament at CenturyLink Center Omaha for the next five years, despite a bid from Lincoln's new Pinnacle Bank Arena.

Larger staging areas for warm-ups and weigh-ins at CenturyLink Center were a major factor in keeping the tournament in Omaha, where it has been since 2007. Prior to that, state wrestling was held at the Devaney Sports Center in Lincoln.
CenturyLink Center's seating capacity also played a role in the decision. With 10 mats on the floor, it can seat 14,793, compared with 11,500 at Lincoln's new arena. With four mats on championship Saturday, CenturyLink Center's capacity is 15,603, compared with 14,300 in Lincoln.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Larger staging areas for warm-ups and weigh-ins at CenturyLink Center were a major factor in keeping the tournament in Omaha, where it has been since 2007. Prior to that, state wrestling was held at the Devaney Sports Center in Lincoln.
There is a giant removable wall under the bud bar area that opens to the convention center that seems to be a huge draw for a lot of arena events. I have seen everything from a Team Bus to a basketball court set up in the convention center. I can only assume they put warm-up wrestling mats over there too.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Nice to see they are keeping CenturyLink up to date:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/meca-sa ... e4106.html

I know they are talking about it but I think it's crazy they still don't have free Wi-Fi available there. Especially considering who's name is on the building......

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yep, great news. It's also nice to hear they can spend $70 million and still profit $3 Million a year.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote:Nice to see they are keeping CenturyLink up to date:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/meca-sa ... e4106.html

I know they are talking about it but I think it's crazy they still don't have free Wi-Fi available there. Especially considering who's name is on the building......

Greg
The name on the building makes me know exactly why they still don't have free Wi-Fi.