PayPal Business News

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Re: PayPal Business News

Post by BRoss »

bigredmed wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:I think the only reason Christians are being targeted so much is because they are being very vocal about their bigotry. And it's good they are suffering consequences for it. It's the only way they will learn.
Why is the choice to decline business, by default seen as bigotry? Or is calling you out on this use of a word grenade is the only way you will learn?
lol, not sure what I'm supposed to learn here...

Now if you operate a business then you have to play by society's rules and one of those rules is to not discriminate against people that society accepts. If you do discriminate then you are a bigot plain and simple. You are free to hold your own opinions personally but those views shouldn't cross over into your business unless you want trouble.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

bigredmed wrote:Why is the choice to decline business, by default seen as bigotry?
Because it is! Like the "we cater to the white trade" businesses were in the deep south.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I think the only reason Christians are being targeted so much is because they are being very vocal about their bigotry. And it's good they are suffering consequences for it. It's the only way they will learn.
I really hate lumping a group of people into one behavior. I am a Christian have no problem with gay marriage and neither does my 86 yr old mother. I also know gay Christians and they are very active in their churches.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Uffda wrote:
I really hate lumping a group of people into one behavior. I am a Christian have no problem with gay marriage and neither does my 86 yr old mother. I also know gay Christians and they are very active in their churches.
I wasn't saying all Christians are like that. I'm Christian too and don't have a problem with it either. I was just responding to how they are being targeted for the behavior because they are being very vocal from businesses to governments (see Mississippi and NC). I don't hear much about Muslims passing laws around the country discriminating against gays. There may be businesses that do and they deserved to be called out as well.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
Why is the choice to decline business, by default seen as bigotry? Or is calling you out on this use of a word grenade is the only way you will learn?
lol, not sure what I'm supposed to learn here...

Now if you operate a business then you have to play by society's rules and one of those rules is to not discriminate against people that society accepts. If you do discriminate then you are a bigot plain and simple. You are free to hold your own opinions personally but those views shouldn't cross over into your business unless you want trouble.
Then when Muslim bakers refused to bake cakes for gay weddings, we didn't see the Sturm and drang. Strange. Wonder why one religion is prosecuted and another is simply allowed to be bigots.

Rather like the middle eastern restaurant behind Big Fred's. Went there with my wife and the waiter would not speak to her. The while night was " what will she eat?" "How does she like her food?", and " what does she want to drink?". We are supposed to be tolerant of that sexism, but if this was some fundamentalist Christian group, it would bring criminal charges.

One may be pro or anti gay marriage, and as you said, your opinions are yours to hold. But if we are going to light up people's lives for them, then we either hold all offensive beliefs the same, or we accept that we now live in a nation that selectively enforces it's laws.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Speaking of these weird new laws, the UK has put out travel advisories to its citizens about the new laws in North Carolina and Mississippi.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Sounds like some significant layoffs at PayPal. Multiple locations, including their HQ in California, Chandler Az, Ireland and Omaha.

Greg
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

PayPal layoffs seem to be an annual thing. Though, the latest round is bit more significant. Another company that is always hiring while simultaneously laying people off.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

ChadJK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:53 am PayPal layoffs seem to be an annual thing. Though, the latest round is bit more significant. Another company that is always hiring while simultaneously laying people off.
Like the artist formerly known as FDR. Though I agree, these do sound more significant.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

ChadJK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:53 am PayPal layoffs seem to be an annual thing. Though, the latest round is bit more significant. Another company that is always hiring while simultaneously laying people off.
PayPal in Omaha is always hiring customer service representatives. The layoffs that occurred this week were back office jobs, most heavily in the fraud departments. These layoffs were also much more significant than most layoffs in the past.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Linkin5 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:18 pm PayPal in Omaha is always hiring customer service representatives. The layoffs that occurred this week were back office jobs, most heavily in the fraud departments. These layoffs were also much more significant than most layoffs in the past.
I heard they let a few hundred in Ireland go. How many do they employ worldwide?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

ChadJK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:04 pm
Linkin5 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:18 pm PayPal in Omaha is always hiring customer service representatives. The layoffs that occurred this week were back office jobs, most heavily in the fraud departments. These layoffs were also much more significant than most layoffs in the past.
I heard they let a few hundred in Ireland go. How many do they employ worldwide?
I would guess 30,000.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Rumor has it there's another round of layoffs coming any day now (possibly this Friday?). They've been gutting their compliance and risk management areas over the last year or so. I assume to outsource? Though, I will say that layoff rumors at a place like PayPal are probably fairly common, so take this with a grain of salt.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

So how many are actually working in the building along the interstate? I never see any cars parked in the lots that amount to any numbers
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:39 pm So how many are actually working in the building along the interstate? I never see any cars parked in the lots that amount to any numbers
I work across the lot from them. On a good day, fifteen cars.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:39 pm So how many are actually working in the building along the interstate? I never see any cars parked in the lots that amount to any numbers
I had heard they sent almost everyone home during covid and chose to keep most of them home. I agree, looks like the buildings are vacant. I worked there for almost two years. Started in regular customer service which was completely awful, then applied and moved over to fraud. That dept was actually not bad until they started having us call customers for every single transaction that came through.

I would not return to that company for anything... I think back to when I worked there and the supposed perks of ping pong, a Nintendo Wii mounted to the wall, a gym on the property and feel all of that stuff was there because they knew the jobs were stressful and irritating. Reminded me of working for Idelman Telemarketing in the 90's. Horrible!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

PayPal sent everyone home for COVID-19 and then kept extending the return to office date. Last I heard the return to office date was June 1st, 2022, but the return was optional and, as evidenced by the lack of cars, nobody has voluntarily chosen to return. They also turned ALL cubicles into "hotel cubes" so when you are there you just pick any desk and plop down there to do your work.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah I think the restaurants out there took a hit from this. They used to get PayPal people for lunch and it just doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Greg
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Greg S wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:32 am Yeah I think the restaurants out there took a hit from this. They used to get PayPal people for lunch and it just doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Greg
That's an interesting point, related to PayPal - they had a cafeteria inside with a kitchen that served breakfast and lunch. I suppose they just toss plastic covers over all of the equipment, salad bar stations, etc? It would be like going to Crossroads, wandering empty halls, closed restaurants, etc. How depressing.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

PayPal is getting rid of their building #2, which is the more eastern situated building.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Securities America is exploring options for its new (2020) building as well. Source: Internal email.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Linkin5 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:10 am PayPal is getting rid of their building #2, which is the more eastern situated building.
Makes sense. It's been vacant for over 2 years now.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:20 pm
Linkin5 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:10 am PayPal is getting rid of their building #2, which is the more eastern situated building.
After the |expletive| they did to themselves over the weekend, they may not need either building.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:36 pm
After the |expletive| they did to themselves over the weekend, they may not need either building.
and that was.....
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:23 am
and that was.....
Announcing that they were going to establish in their amended user agreement that they would debit your account $2500 for anything they defined as misinformation. And no appeal process was listed. It caused such a storm that lots of personal and corporate Paypal accounts closed between Friday night when this was announced and Monday AM. PayPal had to walk it back on Saturday. But then screwed themselves on Monday by the slow walking it back in to the EUA hoping no one noticed.

Surprised that you were unaware of this.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Ironically my PayPal debit card somehow got hacked and was run through a Phillips 66 gas station out of state somewhere, supposedly in the store.

I've had more issues with that damn card than any other bank card I have. I used to work for those clowns... I'd never take a job there again.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:34 am
nebugeater wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:23 am
and that was.....
Announcing that they were going to establish in their amended user agreement that they would debit your account $2500 for anything they defined as misinformation. And no appeal process was listed. It caused such a storm that lots of personal and corporate Paypal accounts closed between Friday night when this was announced and Monday AM. PayPal had to walk it back on Saturday. But then screwed themselves on Monday by the slow walking it back in to the EUA hoping no one noticed.

Surprised that you were unaware of this.
Thanks

Had a Fri start of the day that had me out of the loop for most of the weekend. Didn't even watch or listen to the Husker game and that is a rare thing for me.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Hope the coming weekend is better.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I see PayPal is laying off 2,000 more people (7% of its current workforce).
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:27 pm I see PayPal is laying off 2,000 more people (7% of its current workforce).
Sooooo glad I left there when I did. Very sad to see people lose their positions regardless of where they work. Unfortunately this will not be the last time PP does it, either.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Any idea how many in Omaha impacted? I am seeing more and more posts on LinkedIn from Omaha based employees on this.

Greg
stormchaser
Parks & Recreation

Post by stormchaser »

My Wife’s ex-husband was laid off from PayPal this morning - sounds like PayPal sold their buildings in La Vista and are laying off a large portion (possibly all?) of their workforce in the area. Assuming true, definitely not good news...
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

stormchaser wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:04 pm My Wife’s ex-husband was laid off from PayPal this morning - sounds like PayPal sold their buildings in La Vista and are laying off a large portion (possibly all?) of their workforce in the area. Assuming true, definitely not good news...
Oh wow that would be terrible
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

stormchaser wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:04 pm My Wife’s ex-husband was laid off from PayPal this morning - sounds like PayPal sold their buildings in La Vista and are laying off a large portion (possibly all?) of their workforce in the area. Assuming true, definitely not good news...
PayPal layoffs are a semi-annual event. They have been for quite some time (even pre-pandemic). PayPal got a big bump when things shifted online in 2020 and their stock got up to over $300/share. Now, it's at around $75/share. You don't have a valuation shift like that without a lot of layoffs. Personally, I think they were foolish to beef-up as much as they did during the pandemic-driven boom they had. It was wishful thinking to assume that shift in consumer habits was going to be permanent. However, hindsight is 20/20.

My wife was lucky and was quietly warned by someone in June 2022 that she was on the list of upcoming layoffs that ended up happening in October 2022. So, she was able to find a new position before PayPal pulled the trigger. Her new position was even cool and held her start date so she could wait for PayPal to lay her off so she get her severance package.

The La Vista office is a waste now. Once they closed it for the pandemic and let everyone work from home that was the end of that place. They had a voluntary return to office and nobody opted to return. So, those two big buildings have been collecting dust for 3 years now. Chandler, Arizona, is a very similar facility and they closed it down in Summer 2022 (after subletting a large chunk of it). So, La Vista closing was just a matter of time. There's no point in paying utilities, security, and property taxes on empty office buildings.

A lot of PayPal employees have scattered. My wife had several coworkers that took the flexible work-from-home policy and moved to other places in the country where PayPal has no office presence. It was a great opportunity to move to a place they've always wanted to live but couldn't because the career opportunities there were limited. Now, if those same people end up being a part of a future PayPal layoff (see my earlier mention of PayPal layoffs being a semi-annual thing), then I'm not sure I'd want to be living in some of those places while trying to find work.

I'm not sure how you break local news of layoffs for work-from-home staff. For example, a news story may read, "PayPal lays off 2,000 employees. 300 of them at their Omaha offices." As those people reported to a local physical office building and so could be labeled Omaha employees. When everyone is working-from-home and there's no longer a local office, then how do you determine the impact of PayPal layoffs on a particular community? They're not PayPal Omaha employees. They're just PayPal employees who live wherever, some in Omaha.
Last edited by ChadJK on Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

This company is the poster child of "Cool Gen Z Workplace"... I worked there for 2 years 2 long, and the whole ping pong table, Nintendo Wii, basketball court outside, etc was such a gimmick. Although to their credit it must have worked as they hoped because it sucked a ton of different ppl into their workforce.

That was the last job where I'd work under a scheduled break and lunch as well as the fact we had to ask to use the rr. What a joke. I do have empathy towards anyone still employed by them that could be subject to these layoffs. My recommendation would be to gtfo.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

How much impact was there from when eBay sold/spun this off, and they are no longer the preferred Ebay payment option?
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Curious--I work next door to PayPal and instead of the usual five cars, I saw fifteen there this week.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

damonhynes wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:43 pm Curious--I work next door to PayPal and instead of the usual five cars, I saw fifteen there this week.
Probably the Bobs
https://www.opticaljournal.com/wp-conte ... e-Bobs.jpg
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Louie wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:52 pm
damonhynes wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:43 pm Curious--I work next door to PayPal and instead of the usual five cars, I saw fifteen there this week.
Probably the Bobs
https://www.opticaljournal.com/wp-conte ... e-Bobs.jpg
Heh!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I have what I consider to be VERY ACCURATE information that was shared with me concerning the Paypal buildings.

I have been told that Kiewit Real Estate and Shared services is purchasing the Paypal Campus. Over the next year or so they will be doing some remodeling and consolidation into the two buildings.

The KTG group will be the first to relocate later this summer (2023) The remaining groups ( KBS, KDS,KSN) will be relocating there over time as the building is ready and should all be done by early in 2024