Ameritrade Business News

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

TD Ameritrade to stay headquartered in Omaha

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provid ... id=9209169
Last edited by 2Adam29 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

That's definitely good news
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

TD Ameritrade tower in downtown Omaha?  I LIKE it! ;)
Go Cubs Go
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

thenewguy wrote:TD Ameritrade tower in downtown Omaha?  I LIKE it! ;)
Oh god not this again...

que suburban vs downtown debate in

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I heard they are building a campus by Westroads mall from somebody that interviewed with them.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:I heard they are building a campus by Westroads mall from somebody that interviewed with them.
Interesting, I just can't picture a lot big enough for a campus around there.
Username
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Username »

Linkin5 wrote:I heard they are building a campus by Westroads mall from somebody that interviewed with them.
Try Old Mill, it's by Westroads.  Kind of.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Yeah Old Mills.  Is this old news?
Username
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Username »

Linkin5 wrote:Yeah Old Mills.  Is this old news?
The new expansion isn't old news.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Welcome to eOmahaForums Username. If you know any more about TD Ameritrade's plans please let us know.
Username
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Username »

Ameritrade has signs up on a new building in Old Mill.  I did not see them earlier this week and it seems like no one in in the building yet.  I cannot find any news on this though.  Anyone driving by 108th & Farnam can easily see the building with Ameritrade colors on it.  It's worth the drive after work just to see it before their press release hits the papers.
Username
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Username »

p.s. This is across the street from their current headquarters in Old Mill.

Also, thanks for the welcome, Admin.
Username
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Username »

Ameritrade Update - I see Ameritrade employees in a new building at 108th & Farnam right across the street from their headquarters at 10825 Farnam.  It has Ameritrade signs in the parking lot and now the employees have come.
dandr1229
New to the Neighborhood

Ameritrade having negative national reference

Post by dandr1229 »

Associated Press
Investors in fallen money funds can't access cash
By MARK JEWELL 10.01.08, 4:50 PM ET

BOSTON - The firm managing a money-market mutual fund that "broke the buck" and threatened the stability of the $3 trillion money fund industry now plans to return cash to investors - a pledge that remains elusive for shareholders who can't access money in another troubled fund run by the same firm.

But investors in another smaller fund, Reserve Yield Plus, still have hundreds of millions that they can't take out, with no indication when or how much they'll get back from the $1 billion fund.

TD Ameritrade, which holds a majority of Yield Plus' shares..........

Notice all the references to Ameritrade - apparently over 430 people have joined up in a Yahoo Finance group to coordinate their efforts in trying to recover their funds from Ameritrade and The Reserve.  The Yahoo Finance group is:  
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/rypqx/

There are many allegations that Ameritade steered clients into this fund.  This fund is now frozen and investors cannot withdraw their funds.   Most investors referenced in the various articles believed this was an "enhanced cash fund" kind of "like" a money market fund - a conservative low risk fund.  Not a high risk fund.

Forbes business magazine recently did an article on this:
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/10/ ... 97594.html

Hopefully this negative press doesn't hurt Ameritrade too much - its nice to have a market leader in the Omaha area and a great employer.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Ameritrade Business News

Post by iamjacobm »

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/ ... -say.html/
Omaha-based TD Ameritrade is in the market for more than a half million square feet, real estate brokers who are tracking the deal say.

The securities brokerage and investment firm is scouting for office locations near Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport where it would locate a large operations center, leasing agents say.

TD Ameritrade currently has an office in North Fort Worth where its handles technology, client service, investment consulting, brokerage operations and support for its institutional business.

The company has almost 200,000 square feet in the location in the Alliance Gateway project. In 2011, TD Ameritrade expanded the facility saying it was adding almost 500 new jobs.

Real estate brokers say if TD Ameritrade is successful with its office hunt that the operation would grow even larger with more employment.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

They've been looking for new space down there for a while. I remember them saying something about that in a town hall about half a year ago. They are completely cramped down there and there is no room for any more people. But getting this new facility doesn't mean they are going to be hiring a bunch of new people there anytime soon. This article made it sound as if this new space meant they were.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet.

It sounds solid that they are staying put and it helps that the exiting CEO has not been in Omaha. With the recent happenings with Con-Agra and Cabala's it has to be a bit unnerving though. The new building has to help too.

TD Ameritrade’s new CEO will live in New Jersey, but Omaha will remain company’s headquarters
http://www.omaha.com/money/td-ameritrad ... 9aae3.html

The future CEO of one of Omaha’s biggest companies will move from Toronto to Jersey City, New Jersey, when he joins the company in January.
Not to worry, the company says; TD Ameritrade Holdings Corp. is solidly based in Omaha, and an out-of-town CEO isn’t a new thing because the current chief executive has been working from Jersey City since 2007.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Not really surprising. Most of the execs live in Jersey City. There's no way the HQ is moving anytime in the next decade or so.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Well it looks like at least some acquiring could work in our favor for once... TD Ameritrade is moving to acquire Scottrade.

http://www.omaha.com/money/td-ameritrad ... e7921.html
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Garrett wrote:Well it looks like at least some acquiring could work in our favor for once... TD Ameritrade is moving to acquire Scottrade.

http://www.omaha.com/money/td-ameritrad ... e7921.html
I had heard about that but didn't realize it was that far along.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I always get paranoid when I see these types of headlines. I don't take them for granted as a positive development. On the surface looks eerily similar to when Internorth built their new Headquarters and then acquired Houston Natural Gas. And then Ken Lay and the HNG board wrestled away control and moved everything to Houston.

Not saying it will happen. Just that many times when there is change there is also this kind of potential outcome.

And there you have it, my paranoid thought of the day brought to you by the letter S.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

guy4omaha wrote:I always get paranoid when I see these types of headlines. I don't take them for granted as a positive development. On the surface looks eerily similar to when Internorth built their new Headquarters and then acquired Houston Natural Gas. And then Ken Lay and the HNG board wrestled away control and moved everything to Houston.

Not saying it will happen. Just that many times when there is change there is also this kind of potential outcome.

And there you have it, my paranoid thought of the day brought to you by the letter S.
The new headquarters kinda makes you feel better about the situation but yeah, if Scottrade employs 4000 people, it kind of makes you nervous. How many of those jobs are in St. Louis and do they have a shiny new headquarters in St. Louis? They most certainly have a larger population and workforce. It didn't make sense to move the HQ before because you would have had to train a whole lot of people but now you have a whole set of workers in St. Louis that know what they are doing. One never knows. Though you hope that since Ameritarade has been very successful with it's operations in Omaha, it continues to stay here. Omaha has been good for business and it hasn't been waning.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TDA is currently building a really nice new office in Dallas/Ft. Worth that would have been just as easy to move the HQ too. TD has major office operations in Denver, Chicago, San Diego among others. They could have moved their HQ to Toronto with the bought TD Waterhouse. Not saying there is no risk of them leaving, but STL would seriously shock me. Chicago with the Ricketts there or NYC where the current CEO lives or Toronto where they still do a lot of work with TD Bank makes a world more sense than moving it to STL to an office of the company you just bought. Just my thought.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

choke wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:I always get paranoid when I see these types of headlines. I don't take them for granted as a positive development. On the surface looks eerily similar to when Internorth built their new Headquarters and then acquired Houston Natural Gas. And then Ken Lay and the HNG board wrestled away control and moved everything to Houston.

The new headquarters kinda makes you feel better about the situation but yeah, if Scottrade employs 4000 people, it kind of makes you nervous. How many of those jobs are in St. Louis and do they have a shiny new headquarters in St. Louis? They most certainly have a larger population and workforce. It didn't make sense to move the HQ before because you would have had to train a whole lot of people but now you have a whole set of workers in St. Louis that know what they are doing. One never knows. Though you hope that since Ameritarade has been very successful with it's operations in Omaha, it continues to stay here. Omaha has been good for business and it hasn't been waning.
This isn't the Enron disaster. That was misplayed all over the place. From what I gather Scottrade has around 2,000 in STL and they bought a 240,000 sqft building in Denver that has about 300, probably for IT. TDA is much larger than Scottrade and it's a straight acquisition. No guarantees about anything but the odds are certainly in Omaha's favor.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:TDA is currently building a really nice new office in Dallas/Ft. Worth that would have been just as easy to move the HQ too. TD has major office operations in Denver, Chicago, San Diego among others.
That's correct. STL will probably be just another satellite office.

Most of the executives live in Jersey City, so if anything they would have moved it there long ago.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Scottrade has a large branch network, so suspect overlap will cause them to close most of their branches. Their operations will most likely move to Omaha which would result in big layoffs in St Louis. I suspect a modest increase in hiding in Omaha. Furthermore I suspect this acquisition is more about removing competition than anything else.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch has more details. According to their story, St. Louis will be losing a lot of jobs, going from around 1,800 at the local offices to between 500-1000 after the merger finalizes. Half of Scottrades 3,700 total employees are expected to be laid off.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 4cd7d.html
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are the details as outlined by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

• The $4 billion deal comes in two parts: TD Bank Group will buy Scottrade Bank for $1.3 billion and TD Ameritrade will acquire Scottrade Financial Services for $2.7 billion.

• Deal expected to close by Sept. 30, 2017 and Scottrade will convert to TD Ameritrade systems in 2018.

• After the merger, TD Ameritrade plans to have 500 to 1,000 jobs in the St. Louis area. Scottrade currently has about 1,800 employed locally. About half of Scottrade's 3,700 jobs nationwide will be pared as a result of the merger.

• The Scottrade name will be replaced by TD Ameritrade's at Scottrade Center, the home of the St. Louis Blues, the local NHL franchise.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That's a pretty big blow to an already struggling city.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

There was a lot of talk today about this. In the end, this is going to be really good for TDA.
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

Great news for the Omaha business community! After enduring ConAgra and Cabela, it's nice to see a Nebraska-based company that is doing the acquiring instead of being acquired. I feel bad for the people in St. Louis who will be losing jobs but am very excited about the growth potential for TD Ameritrade in Omaha.

I read the comments section of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch article on this acquisition and this one made me laugh: "Not only are we turning into Omaha, now one of our crown jewels is being taken over by Omaha."

If only the writer of that comment realized that despite it's smaller size, the Omaha economy is so much more dynamic and is blessed with so much more upside than the stagnant St. Louis market.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is more for city marketing, but this deal puts TDA on the doorstep of Fortune 500 status. Potentially giving Omaha the 5 we have bragged about for years again.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Devastating news. This will only encourage more non-downtown growth.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Erik wrote:Devastating news. This will only encourage more non-downtown growth.
Devastating, really?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This story made front page of today'so WSJ.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Erik wrote:Devastating news. This will only encourage more non-downtown growth.

:what:
No posts exist for this topic
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

HR Paperstacks wrote:There was a lot of talk today about this. In the end, this is going to be really good for TDA.
Not really, Within two years of deal close, 98% of the Scottrade people will be doing something else somewhere else. Hopefully, they'll get the same severance TDA people got in the 2010, 2011 and 2015 layoffs.

Omaha headcount will not go up. For years, TDA had been backfilling every Omaha job loss by increasing Fort Worth headcount.

And the Scottrade client gain will not result in a proportional gain in TDA headcount. I'm sure that TDA is banking on a lot of Scottrade clients moving their accounts (pushed or jumped), and TDA's decade-old effort to reduce hands-on client service will continue.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Gee. I wonder were TDAmeritrade eventually moves to