Nebraska Furniture Mart

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Yeah, that's it. JUST $11.5 Million investment. And yeah, it's no big deal. And yeah, the governor shouldn't have been there. And yeah, Omaha deserves so much more from the Mart. And yeah, they should sponsor the new stadium downtown. And yeah, they should open stores all over the country. And yeah, they should......Please...

(I'm wondering what Omaha furniture, appliance & electronics options would be like without the Mart. Oh, yeah. Just like every other city, just without over 1,500 jobs that the Mart provides.)

Bob Batt said at the press conference that Omaha is and will always be the home of the Mart. He also made an interesting point. The Mart is the single largest taxpayer in the state, when figuring sales, property, payroll, income, etc. If they weren't here, would whoever from out of town was here pay as much?

That's it for the lecture.....
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

hmm.. I wonder if they'll make the parking lot less of a quagmire while they're at it? :D THAT would qualify as a Major announcement.

That said - Any improvements are welcomed, of course. I definitely agree with Novak (although, in a less condescending tone)... but cripes, there's nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking. Of NFM doesn't owe anything, but you can always hope that such a major fixture in Omaha is willing to step up to the next level. The tone of Novak's response was just as out of whack as getting upset about the announcement.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

Asten wrote:hmm.. I wonder if they'll make the parking lot less of a quagmire while they're at it? :D THAT would qualify as a Major announcement.

That said - Any improvements are welcomed, of course. I definitely agree with Novak (although, in a less condescending tone)... but cripes, there's nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking. Of NFM doesn't owe anything, but you can always hope that such a major fixture in Omaha is willing to step up to the next level. The tone of Novak's response was just as out of whack as getting upset about the announcement.
I agree. I get excited with expansion and renovation at any electronics store. Despite national stores like Best Buy, Comp USA and Circuit City (when it was here), NFM is still my favorite. GO NFM!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I don't think anyone was upset, other than buying into some marketing. An $11M paintjob and an appearance from the Gov just didn't quite live up to our definition of MAJOR. I don't think anyone said, "That's it?!? Why don't you move to KC then!"

-Big E
Stable genius.
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

I personally have NEVER liked NFM. Everytime I have ever gone there I have put up with nothing but arrogance and attitude from their employees. The last time I went there, I was intent on purchasing a $4,000 TV...At the time, they were promoting one of those "Our prices cannot be beaten, we will match anything" deals. So, I went in (with the necessary proof) that Best Buy had the same TV for $500 less, free delivery, etc...Of course, NFM would not honor the deal. So, I talked to a manager, blah blah blah, still would not. So, I said that I would be taking my business elsewhere, the manager responded with "okay, bye." That about sums up my view of NFM...They are rude, overpriced, and IMO think of Omaha as nothing more than a place to warehouse and park their trucks.

I know we will never get one, but I would love to see an IKEA come in here and stick it to them.

Phew, I feel better now. :D
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

flyOMA wrote:I know we will never get one, but I would love to see an IKEA come in here and stick it to them.
What, so instead of a $4000 TV, you can get a cardboard mockup? :wink:
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

I am sorry for my earlier comment.This is good news. But it is hardly major news which should require the governors presence. And watch it lead tonights news. Maybe this would be big news in Fargo. But it shouldnt be here. So does this mean they are taking advantage of some of our states new tax 'give-a-ways'? So how much did that last warehouse cost to build? I am curious how it compares expenditure wise.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Big E wrote:I don't think anyone was upset, other than buying into some marketing. An $11M paintjob and an appearance from the Gov just didn't quite live up to our definition of MAJOR. I don't think anyone said, "That's it?!? Why don't you move to KC then!"

-Big E
You pretty much nailed it. I expected a "Major" announcement from a Berkshire Hathaway company as announced by the Mayor to be something more signifigant then an expensive re-modeling job. I love NFM and I believe the company has huge expansion potential, and was a little dissapointed this wasn't that announcement.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

I've never liked NFM either. Their employees have always been real stuffy to me and it seems like their pushing for commissions. The remodel to the main building will be a welcome site, but I also think they need to invest in the training/development of their employees too.[/quote]
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

When you're talking about remodeling a store, $11.5 million is a lot of money. Think of it like this, they could own 10% of the Dodge Expressway, 10% of the Wallstreet Tower, or 10% of the streetcar system with the same amout of money and that's all new construction. This is just renovation so it should be very significant. Not MAJOR, but significant.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

adam186 wrote:When you're talking about remodeling a store, $11.5 million is a lot of money. Think of it like this, they could own 10% of the Dodge Expressway, 10% of the Wallstreet Tower, or 10% of the streetcar system with the same amout of money and that's all new construction. This is just renovation so it should be very significant. Not MAJOR, but significant.
I'd really like to see the plans for this. That *is* a lot of money for a remodel - almost in the obscene range. Especially when you consider it's in extremely good shape and fairly modern to begin with.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

flyOMA wrote:I personally have NEVER liked NFM. Everytime I have ever gone there I have put up with nothing but arrogance and attitude from their employees. The last time I went there, I was intent on purchasing a $4,000 TV...At the time, they were promoting one of those "Our prices cannot be beaten, we will match anything" deals. So, I went in (with the necessary proof) that Best Buy had the same TV for $500 less, free delivery, etc...Of course, NFM would not honor the deal. So, I talked to a manager, blah blah blah, still would not. So, I said that I would be taking my business elsewhere, the manager responded with "okay, bye." That about sums up my view of NFM...They are rude, overpriced, and IMO think of Omaha as nothing more than a place to warehouse and park their trucks.

I know we will never get one, but I would love to see an IKEA come in here and stick it to them.

Phew, I feel better now. :D

You had a bad experience at NFM and therefore they're overpriced? Whatever, they are overall consistently lower priced than any other store in the area.

As far as there employees go I appreciate that most of them are actually knowledgable and will offer to help you(unlike CompUSA) without stalking you. And I much prefer their style over Best Buy's manufactured and endlessly annoying greating every time you walk in the door. Just SHUT UP!! Then once you're in the store you can't get them to leave you alone.

I live close to an IKEA and I'm much rather have a NFM than their over rated |expletive|.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

nebport5 wrote: You had a bad experience at NFM and therefore they're overpriced? Whatever, they are overall consistently lower priced than any other store in the area.
Well, some things. They're very good on furniture, and often quite good with electronics, but other times their electronics prices, especially on things like cameras, receivers, etc are *not* any better than anywhere else, and sometimes quite a bit worse. I've never quite understood why they have problems in these few areas.
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

I think its ridiculous that the governor took part in a press conference to announce the remodeling of an electronics store. Nice use of his time - I would like to think he has more important things to do.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

scraper wrote:I think its ridiculous that the governor took part in a press conference to announce the remodeling of an electronics store. Nice use of his time - I would like to think he has more important things to do.
Eh, it's Thursday. Maybe he wanted to take a little vacation and get paid doing it. You can't say you wouldn't do the same. :lol:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Actual article with actual details:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2101608

-Big E
Stable genius.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

my friend works at mega mart and told me last night that they were in the process of renovating the whole store and thats all he knew. i didnt post it b/c i was expecting a larger announcement. it all started a few months ago when car stereo installation was moved from the nw corner to the older warehouse along rose blumpkin dr. now they are using that area to house different depts as they get renovated/expanded. as far as shopping there, i probably have a bias opinion b/c i know him and several other nfm employees and they point me to the people that know what theyre talking about if its outside their (my friends) area. as far as prices, they is much more negotiation with furniture/appliances/stereos. prices for cameras/computers are about the same everywhere b/c there is little markup on those items. my friend (nfm employee) was going to buy a $1800 dollar computer and he got $12 dollars off with his discount. on the other hand, he bought a pair of subs that are $425/pair sticker price and got those for about half off. so to make a long story short, it just depends on what you are buying....
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

The rendering they are offering is small. You can't even get a good look at what will be done. But for what it's worth, here it is.

Last edited by adam186 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Looks like the color scheme will get the KC update
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

If 11 million dollars is significant for eastern nebraska, then by that scale the 2 billion downtown is significant for the entire continent. :roll:

I'm not objecting to them remodeling or anything, but calling in the governor for a remodling is quite a bit of overkill, if you ask me.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Swift wrote:If 11 million dollars is significant for eastern nebraska, then by that scale the 2 billion downtown is significant for the entire continent. :roll:

I'm not objecting to them remodeling or anything, but calling in the governor for a remodling is quite a bit of overkill, if you ask me.
Ya, I don't think they needed the governor there either. I do think the mayor should've been there though.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

adam186 wrote:The rendering they are offering is small. You can't even get a good look at what will be done. But for what it's worth, here it is.

That looks like they just took the current building and painted it white...
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Did I not call this announcement (by mentioning remodel)? The graphic looked like the outline to the Mart. I'm glad they aren't moving into another area though. It would be horrible news for the 72nd St corridor.
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

nebport5 wrote:You had a bad experience at NFM and therefore they're overpriced? Whatever, they are overall consistently lower priced than any other store in the area.

As far as there employees go I appreciate that most of them are actually knowledgable and will offer to help you(unlike CompUSA) without stalking you. And I much prefer their style over Best Buy's manufactured and endlessly annoying greating every time you walk in the door. Just SHUT UP!! Then once you're in the store you can't get them to leave you alone.

I live close to an IKEA and I'm much rather have a NFM than their over rated |expletive|.
It's people like you that make my job difficult. When we offer help you don't want it, then when you want help, you complain when nobody will help you. If you think the employees at CompUSA are unhelpful, quit shopping there. I have to deal with enough people like you as it is.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I can just see It now a building that encompasses almost their entire campus and is so large that they have moving sidewalks and valet parking. :shock:
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

pkiphd wrote:I can just see It now a building that encompasses almost their entire campus and is so large that they have moving sidewalks and valet parking. :shock:
And a parking garage.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

It's people like you that make my job difficult. When we offer help you don't want it, then when you want help, you complain when nobody will help you. If you think the employees at CompUSA are unhelpful, quit shopping there. I have to deal with enough people like you as it is.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Done!
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

bradley414 wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Done!

Look I don't mean to come off like a d*ck but, we aren't NFM and we aren't Best Buy. We are a computer store, not a home electronics store. We carry components of both, but most of what we sell is computers and their accessories.

We aren't as big as NFM or BB, so when we are understaffed, it isn't our choice but corporates in Dallas. COmplain to them, I would love to get more bodies in the building.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

From their website:

I'm assuming you can get the story on Friday. I'll post it then, unless someone else beats me to it. :lol:
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

SychoBC wrote:
It's people like you that make my job difficult. When we offer help you don't want it, then when you want help, you complain when nobody will help you. If you think the employees at CompUSA are unhelpful, quit shopping there.
I did.

And why are you taking this personally? For all I know you're a great employee and give great service. Everytime I went there employees were screwing off and never acknowledged my presence.

I've worked alot of retail and yes it's possible to be attentive and helpful without being irritating.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow, I just now payed attention to this thread...

...and I have to agree with the people who are like, "What the |expletive|!"

Seriously, if your gonna make a huge deal and declare that you're making some huge announcement that will impact Omaha and eastern Nebraska...and the GOVERNOR (WOW?) is going to be there...then you better |expletive| live up to it.

$11 million dollars? Yes, that's a lot of money...but nothing close to what they made it sound like it would be.

Seriously, look at all the projects downtown that are SOOOOO much huger than this...did the governor need to announce those?

It's just strange.

But good for NFM.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Ya, good for NFM.
This is what it will look like (from http://www.nfm.com):

Outside Appliance and Electronics store renderings

Warehouse connector rendering

Center of Appliance and Electronics Store

Home Theater Department

Television Department

Software Department

Computer Department
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

One might say its...'Incredible'?

Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

almighty_tuna wrote:One might say its...'Incredible'?

HAH!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Ugh....I liked the city theme they had going on. It was like the Disneyland of electronic stores.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They already have the crane and other peices of construction equipment out there working.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I just looks like a lot more of the same.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sunday May 14, 2006

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Furniture Mart Unveils New Electronics Center
Omaha World Herald wrote:The Nebraska Furniture Mart unveiled a newly renovated superstore with a Friday ribbon cutting. Bose has its own boutique, as does Sony and Apple -- the first of its kind in the United States. Batt said the new store is also much easier to navigate as large signs point customers to products.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska Furniture Mart shows off major renovation
Omaha World Herald wrote:There's a 2,000-square-foot Apple Store, which even uses Apple computers to write up the sales. There are separate "stores" for Sony, Harman@Home and Bose products, as well. The Mart is the largest single-store volume Bose dealer in the country, Batt said.

The updates are important for the Mart to maintain its dominance in the market, he added. The Omaha World-Herald's 2007 Consumer Preference Study showed the Mart with top market share in television and appliance sales, as well as furniture sales. "We're number one, we want to be number one forever," Batt said. "We set the standard in Omaha, and in Des Moines and Kansas City," he said. "We set the bar, not the other way around. They're chasing us. Never caught us.