Berkshire Hathaway Business News

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Hal Dawg
Home Owners Association

Berkshire Hathaway Business News

Post by Hal Dawg »

This year's meeting will take place on Saturday, May 1, rather than the Monday, May 3 date that Warren Buffett would have preferred. That's good news to people who work downtown.

At the same time, it should be interesting to see how much traffic congestion there is the Friday before that, when Dr. Phil comes to town.
heineken
New to the Neighborhood

Berkshire Hathaway Shareholder Meeting

Post by heineken »

The weather should be nice, people should be |expletive| the streets of downtown. I might go out of my way not to avoid downtown. It should be an exciting atmosphere. We are now starting to get a little hustle and bustle of a booming downtown.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I agree, heineken!!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I agree as well. Saturday, May 1 sounds like an excellent day to be downtown. I see that the forumers are thinking about a get-together. Why not May 1 downtown. As a newbie, I am looking forward to meeting everyone. Downtown is the place to be :)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think that's an awesome idea, Guy4O! May 1 would work out nicely for me because I'll still be in Omaha. Plus, May is such a great month to be outside!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Alright... we'll tentatively make it... May 1st then.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

May Day

Post by guy4omaha »

Count me in on May 1st. I am starting a new job in April and I believe I will be working Saturday mornings. But come Noon, I'm ripping off the tie and heading downtown. Since I'm a new one, what do the rest of you suggest for a likely congregating point?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

It should of course be some place downtown. I'll try to work up another tour or something. Last year we met and ate at Rick's Cafe Boatyard... walked around the First National Center area and finished with a tour of the Drake Court apartments. I'm open to ideas on meeting/activities/etc.

(Rob, StreetsofOmaha, Zephyr, DMRyan at last years forum meet)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

May 1st would be awesome!!! I'm excited to meet the new forumers!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'll start brainstorming about possible activities for the day.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Count me in.
Maybe we could do a photo tour.
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Minneapolis Boy may be in Omaha on May 1st. If so, can I join the gathering?
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

I would be interested in joining the festivities! :D
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow, this is awesome. I'm glad so many of you are interested!!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Well, I haven't nailed down a time yet... but it appears there is a good chance we'll be getting a tour of the First National Center tower (the only question which apparently remains is whether it will be paid time for our accomodating tour guide). I suggested the least we could do was to buy lunch if they were interested.

So unless this falls through... I'd like to suggest that this May 1st date is final (hopefully works out for everyone).
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Please see the 'eOmaha.com Forum Meet' thread!
Coyote
City Council

Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting

Post by Coyote »

Want to go to the Berkshire annual meeting at the Qwest center?
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... id=1069084

As of Saturday morning two tickets are going for only $117.50
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

I just read a story - at KETV - in which Warren expressed his desire that the World-Herald call the Qwest Center by its actual name. Warren also stated that the Qwest Center left a great impression on our visitors.
Big E
City Council

Berkshire #4 Most Admired Company

Post by Big E »

Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I can hear the critics already....... Starbucks is Number 2  :;):

Just a reminder to everyone, I have come across this several times in times past few days, some even from long time forum members.  I know other moderators have said it but here is the easy one to find:
eomaha.com wrote:Hey guys, we've all been doing a great job of posting links to stories which are relevant to our interests here.

I'd like to suggest that we go one step further and post a few key points, quotes from the story, figures, etc along with the link.  In the case of a new development, that might include things like the specific location, square footage, key dates, etc, etc.

In many cases, posting a few key pieces of information like this would eliminate our even having to bother logging in to omaha.com to read the story itself.  Plus, the World Herald seems to let some of these stories slide right off of their archive after months or a year or more.  So while we wouldn't have the entire story quoted here... at least we'd have something.

Everyone, thanks for your support, without out your participation, this site wouldn't be the valuable information resource that it is.  

-Jeff
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Considering the "article" was two sentences, and there wasn't much more info than the title of the thread and the name of the magazine, I thought I'd leave something for people to read once they clicked.

My apology for not providing a synapses of the article is now nearly as long as the article itself:
Fortune wrote:"It takes 20 years to build a reputation, and five minutes to ruin it." The man who coined this aphorism, Warren Buffett, knows a thing or two about great reputations: His company, Berkshire Hathaway, has long been a fixture on our list of America's Most Admired Companies.
Buffett burnished his reputation even more in June 2006, when he announced plans to give away the bulk of his $40 billion fortune, much of it to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A good rule of thumb nonetheless - even if it is a short article - to post a little so we know if we want to click on the link. Thanks
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Three Omaha firms 'most admired'
Omaha World Herald wrote:Three Omaha companies rated No. 1 in their respective industries on Fortune magazine's list of most-admired companies. Berkshire Hathaway Inc. was No. 1 in the insurance industry and No. 4 overall, trailing only General Electric, Starbucks and Toyota Motors out of 306 companies. Union Pacific Corp. ranked No. 1 among railroads, and Peter Kiewit Sons' Inc. was No. 1 among engineering and construction services.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Welcome to a changing city

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10324704
JOE RUFF WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Many of the 30,000 Berkshire Hathaway shareholders expected to attend Saturday's annual meeting aren't from the Omaha area. Here are some of the changes those returning to the city for the first time in a year might see or hear about
JOE RUFF WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:• Shareholders parking their cars in lots C and E of the Qwest Center Omaha could be on the site of a future $140 million downtown baseball stadium that would be the site of the College World Series.
JOE RUFF WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:• Saddle Creek Records

• Old Mattress Factory Bar & Grill

• The towers and first spans of a $22 million pedestrian bridge

• A temporary showroom for the WallStreet Tower Omaha

• Workers are dismantling Union Pacific's former headquarters

• The Omaha World-Herald is demolishing its former building

• Midtown Crossing, A Mutual of Omaha project

• Homewood Suites by Hilton & Hampton Inn & Suites.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

49 month thread revival.  Nice.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Apparently we have skipped over the past few years...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Next to the CWS (and come to think of it, maybe AHEAD of the CWS), the Berkshire Weekend, a capitalist Woodstock, is the best event to happen in/to Omaha.  It means millions of $ into city coffers, both in the hospitality industry as well as in retain (NFM, Borsheims).  It brings the exclusively well heeled (by definition) to town, and it sounds like many like what they see.  Maybe one or two will be CEOs that are looking for a new site for a factory or regional headquarters.  These are the stealth events that matter a LOT!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha cowboy said he had a lot of fun talking to the "guests" in town this weekend, especially the European ones.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

It brings the exclusively well heeled (by definition) to town
It also brings in a lot of 'average' people who bought Berkshire stock years back and enjoy coming to town for the stockholders meeting.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Postcard: Omaha
A 77-year-old Nebraskan who lives in a house he bought in 1958 and reimburses his company for personal telephone calls might make an unlikely candidate to be the most revered capitalist of our day. Yet that's what Warren Buffett is. And every year, devotees travel to the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting--part corporate event, part tent revival, part family reunion--to pay him homage.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 514,00.htm

l
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Of course this would be the picture they show. :roll:

DTO
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

what, that she's easy on the eyes, or that she's a cowgirl? :;):
Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It's just a terrible picture period. Cowtown images aside that picture is out of focus and looks like some one took it with a Coolpix. This is Time Magazine. I would have expected alot more.
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

well then there is the caption for the photo

Attendees check out a Berkshire Hathaway - owned bootmaker as Buffer's portrait looks on.

Since Berkshire has stock/owns Justin Boots.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

DTO Luv wrote:It's just a terrible picture period. Cowtown images aside that picture is out of focus and looks like some one took it with a Coolpix. This is Time Magazine. I would have expected alot more.
Oh...yeah, haha.  I suppose i didn't notice how out of focus it was earlier, and i didn't know it was for Time magazine...
Go Cubs Go
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

it looks like a freaking indoor rodeo.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Trenton and Jeff said on the Grow Omaha Radio Program that the Berkshire annual meeting had so much air traffic that Eppley actually caused a backup at other airports around the country.

[wmp]http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/ ... Grow_Omaha[/wmp]
[emff]http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/ ... Grow_Omaha[/emff]
http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/ ... Grow_Omaha
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

My friend had passes to the cocktail party on Friday night in Regency so we went and met quite a few people.  Many of them from out of town.  Some of them had bought their passes off ebay.  When walking around I heard many people who were speaking other languages, so I am curious how many people come from out of the country just for this event.
Brad
City Council

Re: Berkshire Hathaway Business News

Post by Brad »

Berkshire Hathaway buys nation's 5th-largest auto dealer

http://www.omaha.com/money/berkshire-ha ... b2370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Jordon / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Berkshire Hathaway Inc. of Omaha said Thursday it would buy Van Tuyl Group, the nation's largest privately owned auto dealership company and the fifth-largest U.S. auto dealership group.
Steve Jordon / World-Herald staff writer wrote:When the sale takes place next year, the 62-year-old company will be renamed Berkshire Hathaway Automotive. Current CEO Larry Van Tuyl will become chairman and Jeff Rachor will be CEO.
BIG-T
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Berkshire Hathaway Business News

Post by BIG-T »

Brad wrote:Berkshire Hathaway buys nation's 5th-largest auto dealer

http://www.omaha.com/money/berkshire-ha ... b2370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Jordon / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Berkshire Hathaway Inc. of Omaha said Thursday it would buy Van Tuyl Group, the nation's largest privately owned auto dealership company and the fifth-largest U.S. auto dealership group.
Steve Jordon / World-Herald staff writer wrote:When the sale takes place next year, the 62-year-old company will be renamed Berkshire Hathaway Automotive. Current CEO Larry Van Tuyl will become chairman and Jeff Rachor will be CEO.
One dealer in Omaha-Village Pointe Toyota
One dealer in Lincoln- Husker Auto group