Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

HDR Business News

Post by Coyote »

In Albuquerque.

Rail System: Lack of money no hitch to plan
Design firm hired for mod streetcar

The City Council on Monday unanimously approved hiring HDR Engineering Inc. of Omaha, Neb., as a design consultant for the so-called modern streetcar project.

HDR, which has a 75-person staff in its Albuquerque office, was chosen to design the project during a bidding process based on qualifications. The company also designed Phoenix's light rail project and the modern streetcar system in Portland, Ore.
I did not know that HDR did Portland's system.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Oh man :? , I was so excited and wondering what I missed when I first read the title. What a disappointment. The only good thing that I can think of is that HDR has a lot of experience in this and hopefully that carries a lot of weight here. It may or may not have been intentional to mislead, but you're twisted man. :twisted:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

adam186 wrote:It may or may not have been intentional to mislead, but you're twisted man. :twisted:
What? Me - Coyote - mislead anyone? Image
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

you just gave me calc 1,2,3 flash backs, i need to call my sponser

so how much did they say our's would cost?
15-17, 26, 32
Harpoon
Human Relations

Re: HDR gets $240M Streetcar Project

Post by Harpoon »

Coyote wrote:I did not know that HDR did Portland's system.
I don't think HDR did that project either, but I think they hired the individual that was pretty instrumental to the project. Charles Hall or something like that.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

MTO wrote:so how much did they say our's would cost?
A respectible $100 mil.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

You know we've all been very much in tune with Omaha Street Car thanks to our own Eric Miller... which I think is a fantastic effort, high on enthusiasm. But I think we've largely been overlooking the quiet goings on with Heritage Services. This is the local philanthropic group which accounted for the largest portion of private funding for the Qwest Center and Holland Center. They are apparently also very interested in light rail in Omaha. HDR refers to them in their March 2006 publication TransitLine ( http://www.hdrinc.com/Assets/documents/ ... etcars.pdf ).
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, I'm extremely happy for Albuquerque, since New Mexico is my second home, and I'm happy for HDR since they're an Omaha company.

Now for my b*tch.

I know I've pointed this out, before, but Albuquerque is smaller than Omaha!!! And the margins WIDENED with the 2005 metro pop. estimates. And they're persuing $240 million streetcar project? Not only that, but their project is worth $140 million more than our 'hypothetical system'.

AND! AND! Santa Fe is SMALLER (by a lot) than Lincoln, yet commuter rail is BEING BUILT between ABQ and Santa Fe RIGHT NOW.

I just can't believe that we, as a city, are not jumping all over this kind of thing, not only because it's necessary, but because WE CAN, and it would be a gem in our crown.

Anyway, I have EVERY confidence that our streetcar system will be reality within a matter of years. And hopefully we'll get commuter rail going soon, too.

Albuquerque, although smaller than Omaha, sets a PHENOMENAL example for progressive urban thinking of which Omaha should really take notice.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I agree Aaron.

I lived outside Santa Fe for 15 years and see the similarities between our states. Albuquerque the only city in the state (Las Cruces and El Paso don't count) and Santa Fe the state capital. You fly into ABQ to get to SF - so a system between the two are important. BUT - I had no idea that they were thinking of a city rail system in ABQ - and state politics in NM are so old boy. You think we have yahoos from out state....

If ABQ can do this - and with HDR getting this project - I cannot but think the portents are pointing in the right direction for Omaha. Hence the reason I posted the link.

Oh - and ABQ airport's redevelopment a few years back - it has to be the best looking airport for the size of the city.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yeah, the airport's not too shabby. The circa 90's southwest designs are getting a little dated, but it's still a GREAT facility.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I agree with you Aaron..

Although Albuquerque is actually growing at a faster rate than Omaha this decade and is closing the gap in the metro population difference (they've added 68,000+ vs Omaha's 46,000+ since the 2000 census)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

I would say the main difference between Omaha and Albuquerque is the leadership - Governor Richardson is behind both projects.

Here's the website for their commuter rail service, which will start later this year:
http://www.nmrailrunner.com/
Phase 2 would bring it to Santa Fe, I think that will open either 2008/2009.

Our company will also work on the Albuquerque streetcar project, mostly doing the engineering side.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha's Public Transportation

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Beautiful. I want to break out the Apple //e and Loderunner.

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

On this topic, I'm really jealous of New Mexico's leadership.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Streets, your rant upsets me that Omaha is not doing the same. You pointed out a lot of facts that I was unaware of. This thing would've been a "So what" issue for me, but you, cowboy, and coyote really put this into a related issue for Omaha. I too am jealous of their government, but we are making steps (even as small as they maybe).
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, it IS upsetting. There is NO, absolutely NO reason that we shouldn't ALREADY be enjoying both commuter rail and light rail in Omaha.

But instead, we'll have the beautiful, progressive West Dodge Espressway and 6-lane I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln.

NDOR/NE LEGISLATURE/NE GOVERNOR = Worthless.
ABQdweller
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ABQdweller »

I was not aware of HDR until this news broke last week. Sounds like they were the best choice. The state is currently very lucky to be reaping the rewards of the prices of gas. Revenue has been in the hundreds of millions the past few years and is expected to break a billion dollars soon. Not sure our political leaders would have ever, and I repeat, ever made this project happen without that money and without Richardson desire and the mayor's bullying. I think people are really getting excited for both of these projects.

On a side note, we've actually added 85,000 people since the 2000 census. We might catch up with you if you'd stop growing into cities :wink:

On a recent test run...
The unveiling of the new cars...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Those are going to be sweet! Love the Roadrunner :wink:
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

oooh sweeeeet!

I would love for y'all to have light rail...

But we aren't the east coast...people are generally have BAD BAD sterotypes of public transport.

We are in a bit of a unique situation...do we model our public transport after the west coast...or the east coast?

I mean, like I LOVE trains...when I traveled to europe I loved just hopping on a train and going over a few countries to another place, it beats the pants off of traveling by freeway.

Maybe I'm a bit too dreamy, but I'd love to have high speed rail service between alot of the midwest cities. y'know, get on the train, travel to KC, go back...etc

That'd be awesome.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

ModestMouse wrote:We are in a bit of a unique situation...do we model our public transport after the west coast...or the east coast?
What are talking about man, that makes no sense at all? What models?
ModestMouse wrote:Maybe I'm a bit too dreamy, but I'd love to have high speed rail service between alot of the midwest cities. y'know, get on the train, travel to KC, go back...etc
That is being planned right now. I don't know what stage they are on. I remember they the routes mapped and a price tag last time I heard anything about it.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I agree, MM. There is an organization called the Midwest Highspeed Rail Initiative that promotes highspeed rail travel throughout the midwest.

Although, Im' not sure what you mean when you say 'follow the east coast or follow the west coast'.

First of all, there are cities on both coasts with rail transit, and there are cities in the MIDWEST that use rail transit; Chicago, St. Louis, etc.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

We should have something in Omaha/Lincoln/CB by now, I agree. Shoot, Kawasaki even makes subway/rail cars (for NYC & Boston) behind the airport in Lincoln.

And HDR has some awesome projects out there. One of the most impressive is the Hoover Dam Bypass bridge: http://www.hdrinc.com/13/38/1/default.aspx?projectID=27
Absolutely amazing!
http://www.hooverdambypass.org/
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

:shock: Man, we've come along way since then. Cool, thanks for posting that.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

what I meant was this.

Do we end up being like LA, with only freeways...cars...etc

or can we end up a bit more like NYC, DC...etc who have a decent transportation system within the city.

That's what I mean.

You are at the beginning of possibly going either way.
Hooloovoo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Hooloovoo »

ModestMouse wrote:what I meant was this.

Do we end up being like LA, with only freeways...cars...etc

or can we end up a bit more like NYC, DC...etc who have a decent transportation system within the city.

That's what I mean.

You are at the beginning of possibly going either way.
Honestly, I think that it would behoove Omaha to work for a combination of both worlds, good roads and a nice mass transit system. When I went to San Diego in January, I was floored by how nice their mass transit system ran, combining the busses and the rail. And at the same time, their highway system looked very nice (I wasn't about to rent a car just to get lost in San Diego).
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

^One thing about roads from the west coast is that the weather is so much nicer. Snow, rain, variable weather temps, salt, ice, etc can really take a toll on roads. That's why most of the roads in the midwest and NE are in worse condition.

I do agree w/ Hooloovo, it has to be fair combination of both (but a little more towards mass transit). :D
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

NDoR pry doesn’t have the power to pull of a mass transit system quite like CalTrans….. One thing I noticed about Cali roads is they oil them down occasionally and it gets |expletive| all over your car. Don’t know why they do it but maybe we should here in Nebraska too.
15-17, 26, 32
Hooloovoo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Hooloovoo »

adam186 wrote:^One thing about roads from the west coast is that the weather is so much nicer. Snow, rain, variable weather temps, salt, ice, etc can really take a toll on roads. That's why most of the roads in the midwest and NE are in worse condition.

I do agree w/ Hooloovo, it has to be fair combination of both (but a little more towards mass transit). :D
I hadn't thought about the weather's toll on the roads. That's an interesting point.

That being said, we don't want to end up with a road system mess like happens in some cities, so Omaha needs to plan roads with future growth in mind and at the same time, get some sort of decent mass transit. Heck, if they could get the busses working more consistently and expand their service, that could be a first step towards some sort of rail system. I know I'd use the busses if they were convenient for my work (alas, busses don't run at 3:30AM).
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They do plan ahead for future growth when it comes to the road and highways. Although more could be done.

Also where should we get the extra money from to improve MAT’s service? The Invisible 500,000 people in western Douglas County?
15-17, 26, 32
Hooloovoo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Hooloovoo »

MTO wrote:They do plan ahead for future growth when it comes to the road and highways. Although more could be done.

Also where should we get the extra money from to improve MAT’s service? The Invisible 500,000 people in western Douglas County?
The money trees hidden in Neal Woods :wink:

Seriously, I don't know the answer. Part of the problem comes from the fact that more money is needed, which could be gained if the service were better, but that requires more money.

But considering we were able to get a buttload of money from the federal government for a footbridge across the Missouri River, one would think that we could get some for improved mass transit in the metro.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well don’t get me wrong I do agree MAT need some improvement. Particularly in their mentality and philosophy!
15-17, 26, 32
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Not just their mentality and philosophy, but their creed, motto and principles, as well.

:D

-Big E
Stable genius.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

I still don't get why people are so down on the footbridge. I'd like to see those same people walk across the interstate bridge.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well it is a federal requirement that we have pedestrian access over the river after all…
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Re: HDR Business New

Post by Brad »

HDR's new logo:
HDR wrote: Image
They "refreshed their brand Identity"
http://www.hdrinc.com/about-hdr/news-an ... d-identity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/acquisitions ... 1d6e9.html
Omaha-based HDR will kick off the new year with about 700 new employees and 25 more offices, growing its global workforce by nearly 9 percent to about 9,200 employees.

The expansion comes with today’s announcement of the acquisition of Tennessee-based Infrastructure Corp. of America and the asset purchase of Georgia-based MEI.

ICA, which now will do business as HDR/ICA, specializes in transportation, engineering, asset maintenance and management. MEI is a liquid natural gas consulting firm that now will operate as HDR/MEI.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Eric Keen, president of HDR engineering, said the deals mark the largest growth spurt in at least two decades for the private, employee-owned HDR, which operates in more than 225 locations throughout the world. HDR specializes in engineering, architectural, construction and consulting services.
JoshCTi
New to the Neighborhood

Post by JoshCTi »

Just saw this last night. Big design change from what they currently have.

http://www.interiordesign.net/articles/ ... dquarters/
Coyote
City Council

Re: HDR Business News

Post by Coyote »

HDR's new CEO is focused on a smooth transition and building on company's progress
By Steve Jordon / World-Herald staff writer wrote:When George Little retired as chairman and CEO at the end of 2017, Keen moved up, becoming HDR’s eighth CEO in its 101 years.

Keen, 60, said the goal is a smooth transition, continuing to build HDR’s 217-office network, initiating its latest five-year plan, acquiring engineering and design companies with growth in mind and expanding its services for clients.

Even from Little’s predecessor, Richard Bell, Keen said, “We have always been on the same page with regards to employee ownership, where our company is going, how to go about growing the organization, the commitment to have Omaha as our headquarters and our home.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/money/acquisitions ... 1d6e9.html
Omaha-based HDR will kick off the new year with about 700 new employees and 25 more offices, growing its global workforce by nearly 9 percent to about 9,200 employees.

The expansion comes with today’s announcement of the acquisition of Tennessee-based Infrastructure Corp. of America and the asset purchase of Georgia-based MEI.

ICA, which now will do business as HDR/ICA, specializes in transportation, engineering, asset maintenance and management. MEI is a liquid natural gas consulting firm that now will operate as HDR/MEI.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Eric Keen, president of HDR engineering, said the deals mark the largest growth spurt in at least two decades for the private, employee-owned HDR, which operates in more than 225 locations throughout the world. HDR specializes in engineering, architectural, construction and consulting services.
Offloaded at least part of this acquisition. https://www.hdrinc.com/news-and-events/ ... i-services