Mt. Crescent

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Mt. Crescent

Post by icejammer »

A little surprised the present owners held on to it this long, but if you've had dreams of running your own ski "resort", here's your chance:

Mt. Crescent Ski Area on the market
On a rainy Saturday morning, Russ Lindeman could only wonder where that moisture was seven months ago. A little cold weather would have been nice then, too.

Lindeman has put Mt. Crescent Ski Area up for sale. Asking price: $2.15 million for the local landmark through John Jerkovich at Heartland Properties.

"Thirty years is enough when you're 77 years old," Lindeman said. "Time to settle down and take life easy."
The 94-plus acres for sale include the ski lodge and parking area, two ski patrol buildings and two shops. Less than half of the property is used by the ski business, so Lindeman and Jerkovich see tremendous development potential for the right owner.

"It probably takes a younger person than me," Lindeman said.

The two men see condos as one possibility for the land, just 15 minutes from downtown Council Bluffs and Omaha.
Last edited by icejammer on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Looks like Pott. Co. Conservation may purchase the site, as it abuts Hitchcock Nature Center.  There's a reasonably good chance the existing ski slope will continue to see use for recreation, but the remainder of the site is prime for adding on to the nature center.

Conservation Board mulls purchase of Crescent Ski Hills
After discussing the opportunity at its meeting on Tuesday evening, the Pottawattamie County Conservation Board is seriously considering purchasing Crescent Ski Hills from owner Russ Lindeman.
Less than half of the 94-plus acres of property that abuts the Hitchcock Nature Center is used by the ski business.

At the county conservation meeting, board members discussed their interest in the land "from a conservation, recreation, preservation standpoint," said Mark Shoemaker, executive director of the Pottawattamie County Conservation Board.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Snow a special touch at Mount Crescent
Although the area has seen its share of snowfall already this winter, there is an area north of Council Bluffs that has more snow than any location in southwest Iowa. Most of the snow in this particular area is man-made, and it is probably safe to say it's one of the few areas that welcomes snow when snowstorms hit the metro. . . .

Off Old Lincoln Highway north of Crescent, and past the dirt roads, stands Mount Crescent Ski resort. The ski area is the only one of its kind in southwest Iowa, and is the second largest ski area in the state. Barely open a month this season, the resort has already been full of activity. . . .

He said they have sold 500 season passes so far, and it's just the start of the season.

"This is the first year since 1983 that we had four storms before Christmas," said Yrkoski.

There are many different trails skiers and snowboarders have to choose from on the 1,500-foot mountain, including a vertical drop of 300 feet and the 2,000-foot trails. Amidst the lumps and bumps, ramps and slumps, lots of snow has to be created to make the trails. . . .

Staff spent the past summer preparing the new Wake n Skate Pro Shop inside the lodge. Snowboards, coats, goggles, gloves and bindings (what straps the skis or boardsto your feet) are some of the items for sale in the shop.

Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to midnight and Sunday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The two-story lodge features a snack bar, and ski and snowboard school is available. Free wireless Internet is also offered. Mount Crescent has been under the same ownership for 35 years, despite some false reports that it changed ownership.

This Friday and Saturday, pro snowboarder Pat Miberry will be at Mount Crescent to teach children how to snowboard. Mount Crescent was one of five ski areas in the nation to be chosen for a Miberry visit. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow.  You take a lift ticket and ski rental and you are looking at $60...

I don't remember the place being this big:

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Here's my story on Mt.Crescent. First off yes the lift tickets are outrageous. All day lift ticket on the weekend is $39, in Sioux Falls their all day is $21.

Anyways, here is the story. I went out there maybe 3 years ago and got my (still then) overpriced lift ticket and begin riding. The snow was absolutely HORRIBLE!!! You couldn't hardly ride it without biffing because the surface was so cut up. So after maybe an hour of the worst riding ever, I go into the chalet to gripe about it. The conversation went something like this....

Me: The surface is horrible out there, when was the last time you groomed it?
Them: Our snow cat has been broke for a week or so, so we can't groom it.
Me: So you're still charging full price to everyone and not saying anything to them about this?
Them: We still have to run the place.
Me: Go F yourselves, see ya.

I haven't been back since. My hometown is up by Sioux City so I just drive there on Friday night and then to go Great Bear in Sioux Falls on Saturday. Here's a pic of me doing my thing up there.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

You also have to remember that Great Bear Park is owned by the city of Sioux Falls and the city has put a lot of work into it. Before the city bought it in 1991 it some times was known as "ice Mountain" because it usually was hard packed snow/ice.

By the way take the road that brings you to Great Bear four more miles to the east and you hit my home town.

icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Hopefully, now that they have added another snow cat they'll keep it groomed better.  With the use that the place gets on some weekends, it's tough to keep it from turning into a sheet of ice though.

--William Jennings Bryan
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

I havent been there for a long time - I have to admit the thought of losing it makes me a little sad despite the lack of use.  The prices pretty much kept me away.  I love to ski but its a hundred bucks for me and my wife to have a couple hours.  For that same money the wife can go to the mall for 30 min.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Lindemans to auction off ski area, equipment
There's no business like "snow" business; but, after 34 years, the Lindeman family is ready to close the curtain on it.

Mount Crescent Ski Area will be put up for auction Saturday at 11 a.m. at the ski slope at 17026 Snowhill Lane in rural Honey Creek. . . .

The Lindemans have hired Spencer Auction Co. to sell the 94 acres of land with lodge, outbuildings and all equipment needed to operate the business.

"We're selling everything. We're selling it as a package."

The 6,720-square-foot lodge has a dining area, lounge, full kitchen and offices on the upper level and space for equipment rental on the lower level, which opens to the slope. The package includes ski rental, office, kitchen and grounds maintenance equipment and ski-slope grooming machines. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:Lindemans to auction off ski area, equipment
There's no business like "snow" business; but, after 34 years, the Lindeman family is ready to close the curtain on it.

Mount Crescent Ski Area will be put up for auction Saturday at 11 a.m. at the ski slope at 17026 Snowhill Lane in rural Honey Creek. . . .

The Lindemans have hired Spencer Auction Co. to sell the 94 acres of land with lodge, outbuildings and all equipment needed to operate the business.

"We're selling everything. We're selling it as a package."

The 6,720-square-foot lodge has a dining area, lounge, full kitchen and offices on the upper level and space for equipment rental on the lower level, which opens to the slope. The package includes ski rental, office, kitchen and grounds maintenance equipment and ski-slope grooming machines. . . .
Better go buy a lottery ticker tonight Josh.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

That would turn into that episode of South Park where Cartman buys the amusement park. SWEET!! :lol:

I'd love to see the county park service step up and buy it and run it basically non profit, ala Sioux Falls and Great Bear. I'd go a ton here if A, the lift prices were lowered and B, if they took as good of care of the snow as they do in Sioux Falls.
Last edited by the1wags on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I'm SO going to bingo tonight.  Gonna get these bingo wings a-flappin and win me some ski park money!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I plan on buying a lottery ticket, I know I would run a great ski resort!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Mount Crescent sold to Vail, Colo., family
The Korby Fleischer family of Vail, Colo., purchased the 94-acre ski area from longtime owners Russ and Georgene Lindeman of Honey Creek and their sons, Steve and Russ Jr., June 21 at an on-site auction handled by Ed Spencer Auction Co. The deal included the 6,720-square-foot lodge and other outbuildings and equipment. Closing is planned for July 21.

Fleischer, originally from Columbus, Neb., skied at Mount Crescent as a boy and wants to take the ski slope to the next level. . . .

He wants to add an ice-skating rink and buy snowboards and snow bikes for rental, as well as offering snowmobile rides.

"It's another feature that Mount Crescent could have for people who don't ski and don't snowboard."

Fleischer would like to create a terrain, or practice, hill and children's activity area and launch ski, ski-racing and snowboarding clubs. . . .

He also wants to improve the condition of the hill with regular grooming and improve skiing conditions by making more snow. . .

--William Jennings Bryan
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Sweet! Sounds like they are going to really make a go of turning Mt. Crescent into the best it can be. If the conditions are maintained well, I will be making my return this winter.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's awesome.  I was just sure some developer would buy it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I can't wait. Hopefully the prices come down a bit, but even if not, I'll pay it if they do a good job with the snow. I'm planning on doing some serious boarding this winter.  8)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I will be there too... Skiing thought!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Resort owner ready to revive ski passion
From an early age, Korby Fleischer's life has revolved around skiing.

The sport is in his blood and it is his passion.

"I ate, slept and dreamed of skiing for many years," Fleischer said. . . .

The desire to pass on his passion for the sport to his three children brought Fleischer and his family back to the Iowa/Nebraska area. He was in the midst of building a football-size ski run in his backyard when he found out about Mt. Crescent.

"I was looking for used equipment," Fleischer said. "And my friend from Omaha called and told me Mt. Crescent might have some."

After looking into it, he placed a bid to buy the resort. . . .

Fleischer and his wife, Samantha, want to make Mt. Crescent into a winter adventure where all ages feel welcome.

"We really want to create a mountain lodge type feel," Samantha said. "A destination that people will believe is a great way to spend a day."

While their vision for the resort is large, both know it will take time. For now, their main priority is getting the slopes in working condition and ready for skiers. . . .

Close to $15,000 has been spent on a Terrain Park for snowboarders and freestyle skiers with ramps, box slides, rails and jumps.

Unlike previous years, every run will be open, groomed each night and snow will be made throughout the year to keep the slopes fresh.

Fleischer's ultimate vision is to start strong ski-racing and free-style skiing and snowboard programs.

"The goal is 10 years from now to have these kids in the Olympics," Fleischer said. "There is a lot of untapped talent that live in the state of Iowa and Nebraska that needs to be found." . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome.  I can't wait to get out there.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

"There is a lot of untapped talent that live in the state of Iowa and Nebraska that needs to be found." . . .
Brad can't wait to get out there and tap that untapped talent.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
"There is a lot of untapped talent that live in the state of Iowa and Nebraska that needs to be found." . . .
Brad can't wait to get out there and tap that untapped talent.

yes!  ski bunnies and sweater puppets....
Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

I love the fact that they are going to have all the runs open all the time.  That is one of the things that has always driven my nuts about Mt. Crescent... almost every time I go out there, there are only 2 runs open.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

For me, it's all about the making snow and daily snow grooming. The former owners would let it turn into pure ice and watch people replay "the agony of defeat".
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Mount Crescent gets ready for busy season
After opening last Saturday for the weekend, Mt. Crescent Ski Area will reopen Friday for the season. . .

"We cut those machines on probably about 2 Sunday afternoon, and they were on continuously until about 1 or 2 o'clock (Tuesday) afternoon; so we had about 30 hours of continuous snowmaking," he said. "We have 2 1/2 or 3 feet on the main hill now. . . .

Meanwhile, the lodge has been given a facelift, new furniture and a new menu, Allen said.

"We did an awful lot of cosmetic work in the lodge and down in the rental shop," he said.

Mt. Crescent will be open Mondays through Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to midnight and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. To check snow conditions, go online to www.skicrescent.com.

--William Jennings Bryan
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

My thoughts on the changes:

I finally made it up there on Tuesday at 10F, never again.     All the slopes were open, a first in the 5 years I been going there.  The snow was well groomed, no icy spots like before.  Granted we've had a cold winter so far but I only went during cold spells.  The terrain park is pretty sweet with 4 jumps and 3 rails for snowboards.  I only tempted one of the jumps a couple of times and fell on my |expletive| mostly.  I'd say I'm a intermediate skier.  Never been to the Rockies but WV and NC several times.  The tubing is only open on weekends but it looks like they did some nice changes to that as well.   The Lodges' new look wasn't much different but they do have more food options and more booze.  

They also just started College night Wed? ($25) 4-9PM and High School night Friday ($15) from 3-midnight.  I'd expect there will be long lines though where I had no wait (1 lift open) BUT I payed a friggin $50 with rentals b4 5PM.    Time to invest in some skiis and boots.  

Image[/img]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ski Resort Remains Open Despite Limited Snow

http://www.ketv.com/news/30085408/detail.html
ketv.com wrote:A ski resort in the town of Crescent is relying on technology to remain in business despite the warm weather.

Despite the unseasonably warm weather, Mt. Crescent resort is able to stay open because of a snow maker.

"It's a lot of man power to make snow, and it's a lot of effort to do it," said Mt. Crescent owner Korby Fleischer.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Weird, I could have sworn that place closed.
ita
County Board

Mt. Crescent

Post by ita »

Pottawattamie County buys Mount Crescent Ski Area
Emmalee Scheibe and Mike Brownlee
Ownership of Mount Crescent Ski Area is moving to Pottawattamie County.

The county said it took over ownership with the help of the Iowa West Foundation and Mount Crescent owners, Korby and Samantha Fleischer. The county finalized the deal on Dec. 31. The county purchased the business for about $3.5 million, paying for it with an Iowa West grant of around $1.4 million and American Rescue Plan Act funds, said Pottawattamie County Supervisor Justin Schultz.

“We are beyond pleased to partner with the county and the Fleischers to support the transition of this regional destination” Brenda Mainwaring, president and CEO of the Iowa West Foundation, said in a press release. “The last two years have reminded us just how important outdoor recreational spaces are to our communities. By providing the additional support needed to make this transition a reality, we know that the county can continue to support conservation and recreation in our region for years to come.”

Schultz said the board examined the criteria of the American Rescue Plan and "determined we were able to leverage that money" for the purchase.

"This is big news for Mount Crescent and our county," he said.
They said future plans may include other recreational amenities. I would love to see a downhill kart track.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Mt. Crescent

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow that is unexpected. I would think that would be a good thing for the future of the area.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

I was surprised to see this as well. Hopefully it stays open to skiers and snowboarders for years to come. Would hate to see it close. The area is super easy to get to for Omaha and is a nice recreation option for the winter months.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Cermak wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:49 pm I was surprised to see this as well. Hopefully it stays open to skiers and snowboarders for years to come. Would hate to see it close. The area is super easy to get to for Omaha and is a nice recreation option for the winter months.
Based on the article the county will transition the ski management to a third party, but it intends to keep that recreational activity while considering offering additional kinds of recreation on the land.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ita wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:05 pm Based on the article the county will transition the ski management to a third party, but it intends to keep that recreational activity while considering offering additional kinds of recreation on the land.
This will will make a nice extension to the south end of Hitchcock Nature Center. It will add about 85 acres to Pottawattamie County's area up there. There is still a 160 acre piece up there with a lake in the middle. I hope when that family is done with it and ready to sell, Pottawattamie County buys that up too, the lake would make a perfect addition to Hitchcock.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Didn't realize there was a little lake there, that would be a nice addition.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Brad wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:49 pm
ita wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:05 pm Based on the article the county will transition the ski management to a third party, but it intends to keep that recreational activity while considering offering additional kinds of recreation on the land.
This will will make a nice extension to the south end of Hitchcock Nature Center. It will add about 85 acres to Pottawattamie County's area up there. There is still a 160 acre piece up there with a lake in the middle. I hope when that family is done with it and ready to sell, Pottawattamie County buys that up too, the lake would make a perfect addition to Hitchcock.
I agree - the utility of the park goes up the larger it is and this is in line with the Iowa DNR's goal of eventually creating a connected network of parks throughout the loess hills. I'm hoping this means we'll see more summer activities on Mt Crescent as well.
OutoftheCanyon
Home Owners Association

Post by OutoftheCanyon »

Really hoping for some downhill lines for biking in the summer. Would be great to ride the lift up and bomb down.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:58 am Didn't realize there was a little lake there, that would be a nice addition.
Last winter when I did a snow hike up at Hitchcock, I could see Bald Eagles around that lake!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Ah, so they are contemplating more camping amenities and possible RV park. I know they said they want from 4 seasons use of the area, so I guess that fulfills that goal. I hope they have other ideas for additional recreational uses.