Union Pacific Business News

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

choke
Human Relations

Re: Union Pacific Business News

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:Maybe they are. They are putting in $800K into their fort on 90th & Sorensen.
Where exactly is that? I don't picture too much on 90th and Sorensen. There is Gordman's and a Scooter's Coffee in some parking lot.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

choke wrote:
Coyote wrote:Maybe they are. They are putting in $800K into their fort on 90th & Sorensen.
Where exactly is that? I don't picture too much on 90th and Sorensen. There is Gordman's and a Scooter's Coffee in some parking lot.
Closer to 89th & Sorensen, east side, maybe a block or two north of Blair High.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (129.9 KiB) Viewed 13180 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You may not see the moat on the other side of the concrete walls:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 13179 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A shot from inside the wall...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.51 KiB) Viewed 13177 times
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:A shot from inside the wall...
image.jpeg
What do they use the building for? A data center? I had thought this building was FDR's.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

choke wrote:What do they use the building for? A data center? I had thought this building was FDR's.
I always thought it was First Data's as well.

But from the Permit:
City of Omaha Permits and Inspections wrote: Project Description:
Union Pacific RR - OFFICE (Interior work & Exterior enclosure)

Owner:
8949 SORENSEN PARKWAY LLC
C/O UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD CO
1400 DOUGLAS ST #1650
OMAHA NE 68179
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

First Data sold it to UP earlier this year.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Union Pacific Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Results

http://www.up.com/media/releases/170119-earnings.htm
Union Pacific wrote: Fourth Quarter Results
Diluted earnings per share of $1.39 increased 6 percent.
Operating income totaled $2.0 billion, up 2 percent.
Operating ratio of 62.0 percent, improved 1.2 points.

Full Year 2016 Results
Diluted earnings per share of $5.07 declined 8 percent.
Operating income totaled 7.3 billion, down 10 percent.
Operating ratio of 63.5 percent, up 0.4 points.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per Jay Withrow / World-Herald staff writer:
U.P. locomotive to cross state to help celebrate Nebraska's 150th birthday
The schedule:

Friday, Aug. 4
Depart Omaha
Noon - Columbus
Late afternoon - North Platte

Saturday, Aug. 5
Morning – Ogallala
Noon – Sidney
Evening – Gering

Sunday, Aug. 6
Morning – Kearney
Noon – Grand Island
Return to Omaha
Ricketts said railroads were key to Nebraska’s development and to growth west of the Cornhusker state 150 years ago.

“Union Pacific has been a great citizen for Nebraska over the years,’’ he said.

Fritz said Nebraska has been a good home for the railroad.

“Union Pacific couldn’t be happier to be celebrating this sesquicentennial,’’ he said. “We’re proud to call Omaha our home.’’
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/u-p-loc ... bbdba.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I posted that in the Nebraska 150 Thread:

http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... on+Pacific
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Brad wrote:I posted that in the Nebraska 150 Thread:

http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... on+Pacific

You did post it. My mistake. Disappointing that they aren't giving tours of the train.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

750 lay offs....most of them in Omaha.

http://www.omaha.com/money/union-pacifi ... 38299.html
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaOmaha wrote:750 lay offs....most of them in Omaha.

http://www.omaha.com/money/union-pacifi ... 38299.html
I've been hearing rumblings this was going to happen for about a year now..

The shoe finally dropped.. Unfortunately...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: I've been hearing rumblings this was going to happen for about a year now..

Unfortunately its the second time in two years they have laid off several hundred...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote: I've been hearing rumblings this was going to happen for about a year now..

Unfortunately its the second time in two years they have laid off several hundred...
Yep :( ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Major layoffs happening today.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/union-paci ... 1540319983
Union Pacific Corp. UNP -2.08% plans to lay off about 500 employees before the end of the year, the first of several rounds of job cuts as the railroad implements a new operating plan to turn around its performance.

The company, one of two major freight railroads in the Western U.S., has been struggling this year with congestion and service issues that have depressed its profits.

The Omaha, Neb.-based company also plans to eliminate 200 contract positions, according to an internal memo reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. The job cuts will occur across the railroad network. Union Pacific had about 6,300 nonunion employees as of June 30.

“These steps are part of reducing our general and administrative support structure by roughly 30% by 2020,” Chief Executive Lance Fritz wrote in the memo Tuesday. “We will also need to drive efficiencies in other parts of the railroad.”

The layoffs were announced as part of other restructuring ahead of the company’s earnings announcement on Thursday. Those include consolidating operating regions from three to two, creating a centralized engineering organization and selling Selma Farm, a corporate retreat near St. Louis that the company inherited as part of a 1986 merger.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

If I'm reading KETV's article correctly, none (only a few?) of the layoffs will be in Omaha. Instead they will be around Denver, St. Louis, Detroit, the Twin Cities, and El Paso or New Mexico.

https://www.ketv.com/article/union-paci ... s/24117386
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
milesej05
Home Owners Association

Post by milesej05 »

Incorrect, LOTS of cuts were made in HQ on the 22nd and 23rd.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

milesej05 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:51 am Incorrect, LOTS of cuts were made in HQ on the 22nd and 23rd.
Yup. My wife works there and she said there was a constant stream of people being walked out all day.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Louie wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:55 am
milesej05 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:51 am Incorrect, LOTS of cuts were made in HQ on the 22nd and 23rd.
Yup. My wife works there and she said there was a constant stream of people being walked out all day.
Does she suspect that they told every department head that he/she needed to cull the herd and fire their most least useful employee or any trouble makers?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:44 pm
Louie wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:55 am
Does she suspect that they told every department head that he/she needed to cull the herd and fire their most least useful employee or any trouble makers?
All I know was that the cuts were across the board and the only purpose was to improve stock price. Which was already doing really well. Lance Fritz is taking a massive risk and creating a very toxic environment there.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

It started with CSX. KCS, NS and now UP are jumping on this Precision Railroading chimera. Jumping over dollars to look for pennies.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

damonhynes wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:53 am It started with CSX. KCS, NS and now UP are jumping on this Precision Railroading chimera. Jumping over dollars to look for pennies.
Yup, blame Hunter Harrison.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.omaha.com/money/union-pacif ... bfbe5.html
Union Pacific on Tuesday said it cut its workforce by about 250 people, according to a memo sent to employees and obtained by The World-Herald.

The company also said it had furloughed about 450 employees in the railroad's mechanical department as more than 1,000 locomotives recently have been idled. When a worker is furloughed, it's a kind of temporary layoff, when he or she is put on "inactive" status.
Among the 250 jobs to be cut, about 60 percent of those are in Omaha, according to the memo.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm really sad to hear about the layoffs. Since they've let so many people go, I wonder if the UP Center feels a little empty.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

daveoma wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:13 am I'm really sad to hear about the layoffs. Since they've let so many people go, I wonder if the UP Center feels a little empty.
I know at one point they were outgrowing it. Now it might be closer to the right size for them. This is a total bummer on UP.

Greg
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Thank god for those tax cuts! Glad to see trump creating so many well paying jobs 8)
#gohawks
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

buildomaha wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:08 pm Thank god for those tax cuts! Glad to see trump creating so many well paying jobs 8)
All this money is just trickling down!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Linkin5 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:39 pm
buildomaha wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:08 pm Thank god for those tax cuts! Glad to see trump creating so many well paying jobs 8)
Right to the shareholders. I hate that part of capitalism, reward the shareholder who expects returns on money they ‘risk’ (please the majority of stocks gets positive return every year) and not the one spending a third of their lives working for them.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Louie wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 pm
Linkin5 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:39 pm
Right to the shareholders. I hate that part of capitalism, reward the shareholder who expects returns on money they ‘risk’ (please the majority of stocks gets positive return every year) and not the one spending a third of their lives working for them.
Yeah I had a friend let go yesterday after 8 years there.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Fort Calhoun
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fort Calhoun »

A huge problem is the fear that if stockholders do not get what they consider decent returns a corporate raider may purchase enough stock to force a change in leadership or massive changes. CSX railroad faced this a couple of years ago when stockholders forced the railroad to hire Hunter Harrison.

Omaha faced the consequences of corporate raiders when Enron was faced with the possibly of corporate raiders forcing the company to liquidate some of its assets and cash reserves. They responded by using cash reserves to merge with Houston Oil and we know how well that turned out for Omaha.

Corporate raiders also forced a change in leadership at ConAgra. That resulted in the headquarters being moved to Chicago.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Fort Calhoun wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:32 am A huge problem is the fear that if stockholders do not get what they consider decent returns a corporate raider may purchase enough stock to force a change in leadership or massive changes. CSX railroad faced this a couple of years ago when stockholders forced the railroad to hire Hunter Harrison.

Omaha faced the consequences of corporate raiders when Enron was faced with the possibly of corporate raiders forcing the company to liquidate some of its assets and cash reserves. They responded by using cash reserves to merge with Houston Oil and we know how well that turned out for Omaha.

Corporate raiders also forced a change in leadership at ConAgra. That resulted in the headquarters being moved to Chicago.
This very thing is a huge flaw in our system and needs to be reformed. In the 80s we started to see companies put their shareholder’s interests ahead of their employees.

Since that time we’ve seen lower tiered worker wages stagnate and exec wages skyrocket. Something is due to change, either by law or worker’s force.

I’ve been critical of some unions such as the Omaha firefighter’s union but by and large this country would be much better off if we had more unionization in private sectors.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Linkin5 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:13 pm
Fort Calhoun wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:32 am A huge problem is the fear that if stockholders do not get what they consider decent returns a corporate raider may purchase enough stock to force a change in leadership or massive changes. CSX railroad faced this a couple of years ago when stockholders forced the railroad to hire Hunter Harrison.

This very thing is a huge flaw in our system and needs to be reformed. In the 80s we started to see companies put their shareholder’s interests ahead of their employees.

Since that time we’ve seen lower tiered worker wages stagnate and exec wages skyrocket. Something is due to change, either by law or worker’s force.

I’ve been critical of some unions such as the Omaha firefighter’s union but by and large this country would be much better off if we had more unionization in private sectors.
It's sad that Omaha lost jobs, yes. It's also part on UP for middle management bloat in Omaha.

For what it's worth - as someone who has spent enough time in UPs repair shops - they are incredibly inefficient.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

On another note, there was/is a billboard on the interstate in Omaha during the Berkshire event that lambasted Lance Fritz and the company as a whole.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Union Pacific's operations could be halted by railroad strike

A potential massive rail strike on Friday could deal another blow to the U.S. economy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Union Pacific's operations could be halted by potential railroad strike

A potential massive rail strike on Friday could deal another blow to the U.S. economy. Seven unions represent more than 90,000 workers at the nation's freight railroads. The workers want salary increases and back pay for hours worked since 2020. One attorney said pushes for better pay and quality-of-life are building momentum as the workforce emerges from the pandemic. "A lot of them want to be able to have a better life than what they were doing pre-pandemic," said Joseph Hall, an Omaha lawyer who works on employment and labor cases. Freight railroads have already stopped accepting shipments of hazardous and security sensitive materials because of the threat of a strike.

Union Pacific's operations would be halted by a strike like this. The rail company said they're stopping these shipments to "protect employees, customers, and the communities we serve." If these workers go on strike, that could bring 40% of the nation's freight to a halt. A strike that goes on longer could lead to empty shelves in stores, higher prices because of limited supplies and temporary closure at factories that don't have parts they need. “Is it going to completely shut it down? No, but it's going to make things worse for a while if this does happen," said Scott Swenseth, associate professor of supply chain management and analytics at UNL. Swenseth said a strike could be "devastating" for the supply chain, and short-term solutions are few and far between. The truck driver shortage, he said, makes alternative modes of transportation even more difficult to implement. "It's not just the movement of the freight, it's, it's the supply for the manufacturers, the food processors that that potentially aren't going to be able to do make things run," said Swanseth.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska railroad workers prepare for Friday strike causing supply chain worries: 'Might just finally break'

Trains are moving through Nebraska right now but they could stop in their tracks come Friday. It's due to a possible strike because two large unions and the railroad companies, including Union Pacific and BNSF, haven't been able to come to an agreement. Pat Pfeifer with the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen puts it bluntly. "Everybody that's a railroad employee feels like they've been treated like dirt for the last 4 to 5 years, do they have a chip on their shoulder? Are they upset off at their railroad? Yeah," Pfeifer said.

The sticking point is over sick leave and changes in scheduling rules. Without an agreement by midnight Friday, freight could stop moving. "7,000 daily freight trains crisscrossing the country. In a strike, theoretically, all of those would stop. There's no way trucking by itself can take up that slack," said Nebraska Trucking Association President & CEO Kent Grisham. He says trucking and railroads are so closely tied to moving freight that what affects one affects the other. Grisham estimates if those trains stop in the event of a strike, it would take 460,000 additional trucks hitting the highway to move the same amount of freight. That's virtually impossible given there's a critical equipment and truck driver shortage.

“That equals a supply chain already stretched, might just finally break," Grisham said. Pfeifer admits a strike is a last resort, but the whole country will feel the ramifications. "Whether it's food, whether it's ethanol for your gas pumps, we do that 24/7 365 nonstop. When the railroads claim if we go on strike, it will cost our country $2 billion a day, that should tell the importance of what we do," Pfeifer said. A spokesperson from Union Pacific says they want to push for a "prompt resolution," providing historic wage increases and allowing railroads to restore service as soon as possible.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Hopefully they strike and get the benefits they deserve.