Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Lets hope this actually happens..

From the W-H:

'Omaha tourism officials promised 21/2 years ago to scrap their obsolete visitors Web site and meet the competition on the Internet.

Dana Markel, executive director of the Greater Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau, tries to put the best face possible on the Web site, calling it "adequate."

Markel is asking the City Council to sign off on a $135,025 contract for yet another version of the Internet site, as well as a new internal tourism and convention data management system. Of that amount, $47,500 comes from a state government tourism grant.

A Tucson, Ariz., company, CVBTV, was selected to design the Web site following a national search.'

The complete story link:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2248968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau (10th and Farnam)

Post by Brad »

Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau (10th and Farnam)

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10233658
As they sip coffee under umbrellas at outdoor tables or under flat screens flashing images of the city, tourists, conventiongoers and residents should be able to find out about all Omaha has to offer at an expanded visitors center.

Dana Markel, director of the Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau, is asking the Omaha City Council to approve tripling the size of its visitors center at the corner of Farnam and 10th Streets. The council is expected to approve the additional expenditure of about $100,000 a year in noncity tax dollars later this month.

The expanded center also will allow the bureau to sell hats, T-shirts and novelty items with the Omaha and "O!" logos.
She said she hopes to have the center up and running before the College World Series next summer.
Rendering in the OWH:
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Cool, I like it.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Too bad the people that volunteer there are clueless about Omaha. When I had time I used to pop in from time to time and quiz the people about Omaha like I was from out of town. Most of the people were useless and geriatric. I don't know what they could relate to someone my age that came in looking for something to do or some place to go. Hopefully they'll spend some money on education.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Hopefully there will be an interactive kiosk extolling the virtues of our progressive city, with demonstrations of our road-widening projects - the fool-proof plan for the inevitability of $6 gas.

"Visit Omaha!  We think of the children - just not their futures, because I got mine, dammit."

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Big E wrote:Hopefully there will be an interactive kiosk extolling the virtues of our progressive city, with demonstrations of our road-widening projects - the fool-proof plan for the inevitability of $6 gas.

"Visit Omaha!  We think of the children - just not their futures, because I got mine, dammit."

-Big E

:lol:  I love you. I really do. :)
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Big E, did you happen to catch Jeff Koterba's political cartoon today.  It hit that same nail right on the head.  It's possibly the best political cartoon he has ever done.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

midtown charlie wrote:Big E, did you happen to catch Jeff Koterba's political cartoon today.  It hit that same nail right on the head.  It's possibly the best political cartoon he has ever done.
This one?

-Big E
Stable genius.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Hopefully there will be an interactive kiosk extolling the virtues of our progressive city, with demonstrations of our road-widening projects - the fool-proof plan for the inevitability of $6 gas.
Better yet Big E, you could work there and use your laptop and Sim City to show all of the visitors how cool Omaha would be if you could be mayor for a day!

Just remember to turn off disasters, you don't want to have a UFO attack while you are showing off your pie-in-the-sky projects.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It would take more than being Mayor for one day. :) I don't think we've proposed anything crazy un-doable.
Brad
City Council

Re: Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau (10th and Farnam)

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote: Rendering in the OWH:
I think this is going to make a nice transition for people coming from the Qwest and HofA Park as they walk towards the old market.  I really like the sidewalk patio seating
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I walked by there over lunch today and there is not a lot of room on that sidewalk. We'll have to see how they pull it off.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am guessing its going to be something like the Upstream...
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I looked back, and i'm not seeing what the eatery will be that warrants the tables and umbrellas.  Is it going to just be an internet cafe?  Or is the visitor's bureau going to lease a small restaurant to someone?  They didn't specify on omaha.com, and i didn't know if someone else had any idea from info not posted on the site.  I can't imagine that when people are out and about in the old market, they'll say, "hey, let's go to the visitors bureau for a couple drinks/sandwiches" :;):
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Are you serious?  What are the first NINE WORDS OF THE ARTICLE?
As they sip coffee under umbrellas at outdoor tables
Quit saying I am sorry and go to bed...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

CapitalGuy wrote:you don't want to have a UFO attack while you are showing off your pie-in-the-sky projects.
Yeah, mass transit and fewer parking lots and more pedestrian friendly urban development are pie in the sky.  They've never been successful anywhere on the planet, and I'm just trumpeting them to hear my own beautiful voice.

-Big E
Stable genius.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

I'm just trumpeting them to hear my own beautiful voice.
I would think there are easier ways to hear your own voice than typing your thoughts on a message board.  :;):

For what its worth, those things are great and will happen, I just don't believe you can flip a switch and have it tomorrow. Really this is the only thing I disagree with you on.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

CapitalGuy wrote:For what its worth, those things are great and will happen, I just don't believe you can flip a switch and have it tomorrow. Really this is the only thing I disagree with you on.
When did I ever expect that to happen?  When did anyone expect that?  Our major beef is that there are ZERO plans for EVER getting it done.

-Big E
Stable genius.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

yes that's it Big E.  Thanks for posting!!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The Visitors Center moved from it's temporary home, back into this new space yesterday.  It is far bigger than the old space.  There are still a few finishing touches to be done, but the project is substantialy complete.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OmahaChef wrote:The Visitors Center moved from it's temporary home, back into this new space yesterday.  It is far bigger than the old space.  There are still a few finishing touches to be done, but the project is substantialy complete.
That reminds me of another project I need to do this weekend, get photos together for them... I can't wait to see the finished space.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

OCVB Now Offering Rental Bikes!

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

OCVB Now Offering Rental Bikes!

http://bikeomaha.blogspot.com/2009/09/o ... ureau.html

From BikeOmaha:
The program is new, and the Visitors Bureau hasn't had the opportunity yet to market the service.

A few weeks ago, the Visitors Bureau took possession of several new Trek bicycles to rent by the hour or by the day. As an arm of the city government, the Bureau was eligible to receive a grant to help promote the city, and used the grant to buy the bikes and a service contract from Trek Omaha. The 10 bikes include several men's and women's Trek Lime bikes, and a few Trek M200 kid's mountain bikes. The rental price includes a helmet and a lock.

Even without any official marketing, the Bureau says interest in the rental program is high, and they have great hopes for the program.

Prices

* $7 per hour
   * $15 – 3 hours
   * $28 – All day

Rental Hours

* Monday - Friday: 8am - 4:30pm
   * Saturday: 9am - 4:30pm
This is a WONDERFUL new service that the CVB is offering! Bicycle touring is one of the BEST ways to experience a city. I hope they're able to expand their hours soon!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome Idea!

However they should increase their weekend hours!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Apparently so is UNO

Free Bikes for UNO Students

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/5771 ... tion=story
www.wowt.com wrote:Students at UNO can now bike around campus using bicycles provided by the university. The bikes will be available through a new bike-sharing program, which students and employeese can use anywhere on campus.

There are eight bicycles in the program and can be picked up or dropped off at any campus rack.

The bikes are available starting Tuesday. Seven of the one- and three-speed bikes were donated by Boys Town. The other bike is a tandem.

UNO officials say students will ride at their own risk and are encouraged to wear helmets.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, that's great news, too! Although, they should have about a hundred more bikes than they're currently offering.

Unless UNO has made some drastic improvements, it is NOT very cycle friendly. While I was a student there just a year or two ago, there was a severe lack of bike racks, many stairs with handicapped ramps which would be VERY difficult for cyclists to negotiate, as well as many corridors which are not wide enough to accommodate pedestrians AND cyclists.

Anyway, this sounds like a step in the right direction nonetheless.
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm also wondering what steps are being taken to ensure that the FREE bikes at UNO will not be stolen.
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'm also wondering what steps are being taken to ensure that the FREE bikes at UNO will not be stolen.
Aside from painting them in really visible colors, not a lot.  The assumption is that if the bikes are stolen, the program will simply go away, otherwise, it'll continue and they'll add new bikes.  

More info: http://www.unomaha.edu/bikeshare/index.php
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I saw them on the news the other day... They are old school and BRIGHT YELLOW!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Further reading from UNO's Gateway:

http://media.www.unogateway.com/media/s ... 4834.shtml
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Great news.  I hope they expand the hours into the evening in nice weather.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard they were closing their Retail Store in the Greater Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:I heard they were closing their Retail Store in the Greater Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau.
I guess I just needed to look in the paper...

Downtown Omaha Visitors Center shop to close, but city info will still be available

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140312/N ... -available" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Erin Golden / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Starting March 29, the Visitors Center at 10th and Farnam Streets will no longer be in the retail business.

The center still will be staffed by a team of volunteer “ambassadors,” on hand to offer information about destinations and entertainment options around the city. But it will likely be without the paid employees it has had.

Officials said the decision is strictly a business move — one that will save an estimated $80,000 annually.
ita
County Board

Re: Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau

Post by ita »

Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau is apparently moving to Midtown Crossing. City Council approved this 87 month lease for the (what I believe) to be the Cantina Laredo space. Kind of odd that they are moving out of downtown. They are currently right there next to GLM/HOA and across the street from the Mercantile.

https://cityclerk.cityofomaha.org/image ... -42972.pdf
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think that is odd as well, especially with the push the mayor has made to bring things into the core of downtown. It sounds like the new space will give them more flexibility though.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:51 am I think that is odd as well, especially with the push the mayor has made to bring things into the core of downtown. It sounds like the new space will give them more flexibility though.
MTC is still the core though. And a very good area at that.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Athomsfere wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:20 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:51 am I think that is odd as well, especially with the push the mayor has made to bring things into the core of downtown. It sounds like the new space will give them more flexibility though.
But I don't view that as a "visitor destination". Plus you only have one hotel there, versus a ton in downtown. I'm not a fan of this move.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

NEDodger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:46 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:20 pm
But I don't view that as a "visitor destination". Plus you only have one hotel there, versus a ton in downtown. I'm not a fan of this move.
Destination or not, I don't know that it matters. What does the visitor traffic really look like? Is anyone really going to book a hotel right next to there? Or not go if they wanted because they don't want to take the ORBT / street car 10 minutes away?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see it mattering for this.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

No, no one is going to book a hotel right next there for the purpose of being by the Visitor's/Convention Center Bureau, but their purpose is to be a resource for people who are in town as a tourist/for business purposes.

I personally believe it would make the most sense to have this situated where most of these people are going to be staying/walking around (downtown) in order to maximize the value of the bureau. Having it out at Midtown Crossing, to me, makes it useless.
Toto
Home Owners Association

Post by Toto »

Who actually uses this place? Most of the space closed down years ago and now its a bong shop. Welcome to Omaha, get your bong here, but the weed is across the other boarder, in Colorado.

They could located the visitor center in Eppley and it would be just as effective. I would assume 95% of visitors to Omaha have their interactions with Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau on their website or publications left in Hotels.
Toto
We Don’t Coast
Home Owners Association

Post by We Don’t Coast »

Toto wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:39 pm Who actually uses this place? Most of the space closed down years ago and now its a bong shop. Welcome to Omaha, get your bong here, but the weed is across the other boarder, in Colorado.

They could located the visitor center in Eppley and it would be just as effective. I would assume 95% of visitors to Omaha have their interactions with Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau on their website or publications left in Hotels.
LOL Thank you. I completely agree. At the end of the day, WHO CARES where their building is located. As long as they provide the services desired, and yes, their interactions these days are overwhelmingly on line; it’s location doesn’t matter much. Really.