Locally owned Scooter's Coffeehouse

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Scooters Coffee (and formerly yogurt)

Postby Seth » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:42 pm

When did Scooters abandon the yogurt concept? I don't often buy coffee when I'm out, but I just noticed that the yogurt machines and signs are gone at several midtown scooters, and their website doesn't seem to make any mention of yogurt anymore.

I always thought adding yogurt in was a half-baked idea to jump on the fro-yo bandwagon. The remodeled stores I had been in felt far less cozy and inviting to sit and enjoy a coffee with conversation or reading than the older format.

Is this perhaps an indicator that we've hit the apex of the fro-yo fad?

Brad
City Council

Re: Locally owned Scooter's Coffeehouse

Postby Brad » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 am

Interesting. Its actually the second version of it. First they went with "Yogi" before their own brand...
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Garrett
Parks & Recreation

Postby Garrett » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:03 pm

Good. I never really understood that craze too much, and the machines really did make the ambiance much different. I think the craze for frozen yogurt is slowing down, but the established brands, like Orange Leaf and Red Mango, will keep going strong.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

Greg S
Planning Board

Postby Greg S » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:29 pm

I think some stores have them and some don't. Probably just trying to make more use of their space. I know once you hit later in the day, I won't touch coffee (hot or iced). The one at Gateway was still selling the yogurt on Saturday.

Greg

Garrett
Parks & Recreation

Postby Garrett » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:04 pm

Perhaps it's at the franchisee's discretion?
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:23 am

Scooter's Coffee way beyond its mom-and-pop shop days

What started as a mom-and-pop coffee shop has grown to a franchise business with more than 120 stores in nine states, including Texas, California, Kansas and Colorado. About 40 more are slated to open by the end of this year in markets such as Atlanta, Phoenix, San Antonio and Minneapolis.

In April, the company closed on a $1.2 million purchase of just over seven acres of land to the north of the current headquarters, allowing Scooter’s to grow in phases over the next several years.
The expansion will be built in phases. Dirt work will begin this summer, with construction expected to begin early next year on a 30,000-square-foot addition to the company’s existing 47,000 square feet of space. Some staff members occupy leased offices at 72nd and Pacific Streets in the meantime, Cox said.
The first addition, expected to be completed by the end of 2016, will triple the size of the company’s bakery and double the size of its roasting facility. The rest of the addition will be used for distribution and some offices.
The second phase, to begin in early 2017 and be completed by the end of that year, will add more corporate offices, most likely a separate building that will be a short walking distance from the existing distribution facility.
“We could put probably four of our (existing) buildings on that parcel now. It gives us a lot of room for growth for quite a few years,” Cox said.
The third phase would add warehouse and roasting space as needed. “The first two phases will get us out for three or four years, then we’ll plan on the final stage sometime after that,” Cox said.
When done, the facility should be around 150,000 to 200,000 square feet. The company also has an approximately 10,000-square-foot distribution facility in Independence, Missouri, that is expected to double in size by the end of the year. Eckles said regional distribution centers will be the model going forward as more stores are added in different parts of the country.

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:38 pm

From the Des Moines Register:
Scooter’s Coffee, with four locations, plans to add four stores this year, with an eye on expanding within Des Moines and the suburbs in the next few years for a total of 20 coffee shops.

Scooters, now has a total of 135 stores in 10 states.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:17 pm

Another Scooters popping up near the Shopko at 144th & West Center

Return to “Business”