Locally owned Scooter's Coffeehouse

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Scooters Coffee (and formerly yogurt)

Post by Seth »

When did Scooters abandon the yogurt concept? I don't often buy coffee when I'm out, but I just noticed that the yogurt machines and signs are gone at several midtown scooters, and their website doesn't seem to make any mention of yogurt anymore.

I always thought adding yogurt in was a half-baked idea to jump on the fro-yo bandwagon. The remodeled stores I had been in felt far less cozy and inviting to sit and enjoy a coffee with conversation or reading than the older format.

Is this perhaps an indicator that we've hit the apex of the fro-yo fad?
Brad
City Council

Re: Locally owned Scooter's Coffeehouse

Post by Brad »

Interesting. Its actually the second version of it. First they went with "Yogi" before their own brand...
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Good. I never really understood that craze too much, and the machines really did make the ambiance much different. I think the craze for frozen yogurt is slowing down, but the established brands, like Orange Leaf and Red Mango, will keep going strong.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think some stores have them and some don't. Probably just trying to make more use of their space. I know once you hit later in the day, I won't touch coffee (hot or iced). The one at Gateway was still selling the yogurt on Saturday.

Greg
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Perhaps it's at the franchisee's discretion?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Scooter's Coffee way beyond its mom-and-pop shop days
What started as a mom-and-pop coffee shop has grown to a franchise business with more than 120 stores in nine states, including Texas, California, Kansas and Colorado. About 40 more are slated to open by the end of this year in markets such as Atlanta, Phoenix, San Antonio and Minneapolis.

In April, the company closed on a $1.2 million purchase of just over seven acres of land to the north of the current headquarters, allowing Scooter’s to grow in phases over the next several years.
The expansion will be built in phases. Dirt work will begin this summer, with construction expected to begin early next year on a 30,000-square-foot addition to the company’s existing 47,000 square feet of space. Some staff members occupy leased offices at 72nd and Pacific Streets in the meantime, Cox said.
The first addition, expected to be completed by the end of 2016, will triple the size of the company’s bakery and double the size of its roasting facility. The rest of the addition will be used for distribution and some offices.
The second phase, to begin in early 2017 and be completed by the end of that year, will add more corporate offices, most likely a separate building that will be a short walking distance from the existing distribution facility.
“We could put probably four of our (existing) buildings on that parcel now. It gives us a lot of room for growth for quite a few years,” Cox said.
The third phase would add warehouse and roasting space as needed. “The first two phases will get us out for three or four years, then we’ll plan on the final stage sometime after that,” Cox said.
When done, the facility should be around 150,000 to 200,000 square feet. The company also has an approximately 10,000-square-foot distribution facility in Independence, Missouri, that is expected to double in size by the end of the year. Eckles said regional distribution centers will be the model going forward as more stores are added in different parts of the country.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the Des Moines Register:
Scooter’s Coffee, with four locations, plans to add four stores this year, with an eye on expanding within Des Moines and the suburbs in the next few years for a total of 20 coffee shops.
Scooters, now has a total of 135 stores in 10 states.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Another Scooters popping up near the Shopko at 144th & West Center
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://scooterscoffee.com/NewsDetails/128
San Antonio, TX - Scooter’s Coffee, the Midwest-based coffee franchise that has experienced tremendous growth over the past year, has increased its Texas presence with the company’s latest opening at 12054 Blanco Rd. To celebrate, the location will be hosting a Grand Opening on Friday, September 8th, where all drinks will be half off (excluding Red Bull drinks).

“It is an incredibly exciting time for our company,” stated Rob Streett, President and Chief Operating Officer of Scooter’s Coffee. “Becoming a part of the city of San Antonio is a huge step for us, and we can’t wait to introduce our world-class coffee to the community.”

On Grand Opening Day, customers can also expect to receive several fun giveaways. Beginning at 10 a.m., the first 100 customers will receive a free $5 gift card with purchase. Later in the afternoon, starting at 1 p.m., the first 50 customers will receive a free mug with purchase, and at 4 p.m., the first 50 customers will receive a free Scooter’s t-shirt with purchase.

Todd and Catherine Gerch will own and operate this location. “We look forward to experiencing Scooter’s Coffee every time we visit family in Nebraska. When we moved to the San Antonio area, we noticed that there is a shortage of quality drive-thru coffee options,” said Catherine. “We are confident that once the local community discovers our delicious menu options and hand-pulled espresso shots, they will become Scooter’s customers for life. We are extremely excited to open our second Scooter’s in Texas. We look forward to continue building the brand with more locations in the San Antonio area.”

Scooter’s Coffee is quickly approaching 200 locations in 15 states, and has 144 franchisee commitments to build new stores. The company is in the midst of a robust grand opening pipeline. It recently opened additional locations in San Antonio, Texas and Sacramento, California. Other expanding markets include Nevada, Arkansas, Colorado and Texas.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I am not a fan of Scooter's..

But I do appreciate they are an Omaha company and obviously have a product that people like (not me, but it's personal preference)..

That is an impressive store footprint...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

It's much better than Starbucks. 30 years ago when I first went to Seattle I just had to go to Starbucks. So disappointing, and just as bad each time I try it now.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Of course, I just like plain coffee, not those sickening drinks!!!!!lol
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Scooters is buying out Crane Coffee.

https://www.ketv.com/article/scooters-c ... s/29425337
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Padre wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:44 am Scooters is buying out Crane Coffee.

https://www.ketv.com/article/scooters-c ... s/29425337
Thay've already been doing the warehouse and roasterie for a few years now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Crane Coffee at 60th & Center will remain one last Crane Coffee
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just thought I would update the number of Scooters per the recent OWH article:

400 in 30 states. (plans to grow to 1,000 within 3 years)
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:05 pm Just thought I would update the number of Scooters per the recent OWH article:

400 in 30 states. (plans to grow to 1,000 within 3 years)
So, we're just a few years away from the company being sold and its HQ moved outside of Nebraska? :P
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Haha, hopefully that is not the case, although that does seem to happen all too often for Nebraska-born companies.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'll go first. Either Denver or Chicago.

Denver because it's a hot spot for restaurant companies. Keyword: Pepperjax

Chicago because they need to be near a hub airport. You know, like Bentonville, Arkansas

Either works because they want to attract the best talent.

Blah, blah, blah
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Now that I live in Kansas, it's nice to see Scooters popping up all over down here. Here in Hutchinson, they just added a second location. It opened about two weeks ago, just a few blocks from the hospital, two large medical clinics and a grade school and the lines still back up onto the street. I think it will do well. :lol:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Scooter's Coffee expands past 400 stores
With more than 400 locations in 23 different states, Scooter’s Coffee is poised to become the number one drive-through coffee retailer in the United States. Founder Don Eckles said he got the idea for the original Scooter’s Coffee store while living in Sacramento, Calif.

Eckles said Scooter’s Coffee now has around 20 people in its marketing department, between 15 and 20 people in its human resources department and 100 employees in its operations department.

Eckles said he believes that Scooter’s Coffee will have more than 600 total stores by this time next year.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They are matching customer donations to Ukraine:

https://www.wowt.com/2022/04/11/scooter ... -refugees/

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wonder if Scooters will close down their location next to the Bagel Bin and Big Fred's on 119th when the new location opens in Regency Landing?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I would be surprised if that one was closed given that it's likely picking up traffic from the former integration with Summer Kitchen Cafe at ~129th and catching EB traffic on their way to 680 in the morning. If anything, the Regency Landing location is a replacement for the former location at One Pacific Place.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

almighty_tuna wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:36 am I would be surprised if that one was closed given that it's likely picking up traffic from the former integration with Summer Kitchen Cafe at ~129th and catching EB traffic on their way to 680 in the morning. If anything, the Regency Landing location is a replacement for the former location at One Pacific Place.
My thought was they were building one somewhat half way between the two and would consolidate two stores in to one. The biggest problem with the new location is for eastbound traffic. They closed off the island in front of the new scooters. Customers will need to go a block to the east, and then make a U-turn or circle back through the development.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Brad wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:52 am
almighty_tuna wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:36 am I would be surprised if that one was closed given that it's likely picking up traffic from the former integration with Summer Kitchen Cafe at ~129th and catching EB traffic on their way to 680 in the morning. If anything, the Regency Landing location is a replacement for the former location at One Pacific Place.
My thought was they were building one somewhat half way between the two and would consolidate two stores in to one. The biggest problem with the new location is for eastbound traffic. They closed off the island in front of the new scooters. Customers will need to go a block to the east, and then make a U-turn or circle back through the development.
I don't get down by that area too often, but I always come back to the fact we have one on the corner of 180th & Q St (basically across from Millard West HS and HyVee) and then they dropped a freestanding drive thru up at 180th & Harrison. To me, this seems likely to be the two closest Scooters around unless they have a couple at VP or something similar)
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Business Partners Sign Multi-Unit Agreement with National Coffee Brand
OMAHA, Neb. - Scooter’s Coffee, LLC, the Midwest-based drive-thru coffee franchise experiencing record-breaking growth, continues its expansion throughout the United States by bringing its world-class drive-thru coffee locations to Henderson and Centennial Hills, Nevada.

The expansion into the Las Vegas suburbs is the result of a four-unit franchise agreement signed by Ricardo Mogollon and Jerry Nesbit. Mogollon and Nesbit have worked together for years, and co-own two other businesses. They were looking to diversify their investments and thought Scooter’s Coffee would be a good fit. “We liked their philosophy and their business model, especially the small footprint of the drive-thru kiosk,” said Mogollon. “As I’m from Colombia, I’m very familiar with coffee, and Scooter’s Coffee has a good product.”
Also:
Scooter’s Coffee planned for Marietta
“Scooter’s Coffee is expanding rapidly, and we are well on our way to opening over 1,000 stores,” Todd Graeve, CEO of Scooter’s Coffee, said in a QSR article this summer. “By the end of 2022, Scooter’s Coffee will have over 600 stores open across 26 states and five distribution centers operating, including our newest in Atlanta.”
How soon before we start seeing the Eckles family name attached to projects in the Metro?

Scooter's also has a new president (the article is a good read):

Former Starbucks Executive Brings Learnings to Scooter’s Coffee
Callie Evergreen
The new president at Scooter’s Coffee is no stranger to the competitive coffee industry. Joe Thornton joined the growing drive-thru coffee chain after spending 11 years at Starbucks, where he led a team of regional vice presidents as senior vice president of licensed stores in the Sunbelt Division and helped lead the drive-thru team.

Though Starbucks doesn’t franchise its cafes, Thornton has plenty of experience growing a franchise. He served 14 years at the infamous boom-bust business, Blockbuster Video, including as senior director of franchising, where he provided operational support to 100 franchise owners at more than 1,000 stores.

“It was a very productive model, a rental product that kept people coming back, and the margins were incredible,” Thornton said about Blockbuster.

“I learned a lot in that business model, and the most important lesson I learned was about self-inflicted wounds,” Thornton added. “Most think about Netflix and Redbox taking market share, and I would describe it as giving away market share by not investing in kiosks, online rentals and ultimately streaming.”

Thornton took those lessons to Starbucks in 2006, another high-growth company, where he helped open 1,000 company stores on top of licensed stores. By the time he left in 2017, the brand’s footprint had expanded to more than 12,000 U.S. locations. Now, it has more than 15,000
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Scooters office tower DT confirmed.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Louie wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:44 am Scooters office tower DT confirmed.
HAHA. I was thinking the same thing! Maybe in 5-10 years when their lease is up in their new Miracle Hills HQ, Scooter's tower will be the new tallest. Because it's Omaha, it will resemble a giant to-go coffee cup.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Scooter's Coffee celebrates 25th anniversary with world's largest cake ball attempt

Nebraska’s own Scooter's Coffee turns 25 years old on Thursday and staff are celebrating in a big way at the CHI Health Center. The growing coffee chain traces its roots to Bellevue where the first location opened in 1998. Founder Don Ekles said the original store then called “Sweet Things and Java”, didn’t sell coffee alone. "A friend from church said you know you should do specialty coffee as well, so we added specialty coffee to the mix," Ekles said. "Coffee just became a part of our culture over the last several years, so we got lucky in that respect."

Today, Scooter's Coffee has hundreds of locations in 29 states across the Midwest and East Coast. The company plans to reach 1,000 locations by next year. Among the events planned at their annual growth conference is an attempt to make the world’s largest cake ball. The cake ball will contain almost 700 lbs. of dough and 150 lbs. of buttercream frosting.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Scooter's Coffee breaks Guinness World Record for the largest cake ball

BELLEVUE, Neb. (KMTV) — Bellevue-based Scooter's Coffee is celebrating 25 years since opening in a big way. They've been working to put together the world's largest cake ball. And now they're the new Guinness World Records title holder. The 848-pound birthday-themed cake ball was unveiled at its annual Grow Conference held at the CHI Health Center. Senior Bakery Manager Kevin Mosher says it took 700 pounds of cake. Although they started putting it together on Monday, it's been in the works for two months.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Renovator2559
Human Relations

Post by Renovator2559 »

That sponsorship sounds like good news and great marketing potential.

I've even seen Scooters coffee in small town middle of nowhere towns, of Pella and Oskaloosa Iowa. Scooters may not be as big as Starbucks with their odd logo... but Scooters is establishing roots in unexpected places.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

Kudos to Scooters for making this big accomplishment. Frisco Bowl ad looks like a football. Or is it a coffee bean? Very clever marketing here!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

North Omaha Scooter’s to reopen after drive-thru was destroyed in September

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - There hasn’t been any coffee brewing lately on the corner of 30th and Ames in Omaha for months, but the owner of Scooter’s says that will soon change. Back in September, a box truck too tall for the drive-thru awning caused major damage to the building. “It collapsed the entire drive-thru,” Julian Young said. “The structure of the actual building was demolished as far as the drive-thru area.” Everything Young and his wife have worked for now all seemed to be in jeopardy.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Scooter's Coffee celebrates new drive-thru at hot area near Gretna

They now have around 750 stores in the US. They are now the nation's 5th largest chain behind Starbucks(which has over 15,000 locations), Dunkin, Panera and Dutch Bros. That is quite the growth since 2022. At that time they had just passed 400 stores.
The Gretna Scooter’s is the company’s 11th corporate-owned store in the metro, according to John Voskamp, vice president of operations. Of the roughly 750 Scooter’s stores in the nation, a total of 21 are corporate owned, he said. Another one will be opening in the coming months near the Henry Doorly Zoo off 13th Street in Omaha.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:20 pm Scooter's Coffee celebrates new drive-thru at hot area near Gretna

They now have around 750 stores in the US. They are now the nation's 5th largest chain behind Starbucks(which has over 15,000 locations), Dunkin, Panera and Dutch Bros. That is quite the growth since 2022. At that time they had just passed 400 stores.
I recently talked with a couple who moved down to Florida from Omaha and were opening up two Scooters in New Port Richey. Also another location was announced in a development about 8 miles from me in land o lakes.
Last edited by Uffda on Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

If Scooters ever goes public, it will be a good stock to pick up on the IPO.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:20 pm They now have around 750 stores in the US. They are now the nation's 5th largest chain behind Starbucks(which has over 15,000 locations), Dunkin, Panera and Dutch Bros. That is quite the growth since 2022. At that time they had just passed 400 stores.
I really feel like that ranking should be limited to businesses for whom coffee is the majority of their revenue. Panera seems like a bit of a stretch. Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt their drive through is lined-up 10 cars in the morning with people just getting coffees. Why not throw McDonald's on there since they server coffee too? It'd be interesting to see, of the places that are primarily coffeehouses, where Scooter's ranks.
Last edited by ChadJK on Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ChadJK wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:04 pm I really feel like that ranking should be limited to businesses for whom coffee is the majority of their revenue. Panera seems like a bit of a stretch. Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt their drive through is line up 10 cars in the morning which people just getting coffees. Why not throw McDonald's on there since they server coffee too? It'd be interesting to see, of the places that are primarily coffeehouses, where Scooter's ranks.
It would also be interesting to see how many gallons of coffee a place like QT sells compared to a place like Scooters or Starbucks.