Bucky's Business News

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Re: Bucky's Business News

Post by damonhynes »

Anyone else been to a Buc-ee's? They're a hoot--and they print money. Daughter and son-in-law are stationed at Ft. Hood and I frequent the one in Temple. About 120 gas pumps and they're all hopping!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

choke wrote:
Coyote wrote:I can't remember how long ago Bucky's bought Eddy's BP on Ida and Blair High Rd.
But they are going to demolish and rebuild there also, from a 3100 sq ft C-Store to one 10,000,
And from a 700 sq ft car wash to one 2000.

Seems wise since there is a gas station, Murphy Express, going in across the street by the Wal-Mart.
Not exactly Bucky's Business ... But also going next to a Wal-Mart, Murphy Express is going on the SE corner of 132nd & F.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Apparently Bucky's v. Buc-ee's is still a thing:

http://swamplot.com/thats-not-a-buc-ees ... 018-03-08/
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

99th & Blair Highway is closed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:36 pm 99th & Blair Highway is closed.
Going to tear it down and build a new store on the same lot.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.omaha.com/money/nebraska-be ... 8bc1b.html
This month, a federal judge in Nebraska tossed a lawsuit alleging trademark infringement filed by Texas-based Buc-ee’s, known for its Bosselman-like highway rest stops, against Nebraska-based Bucky’s, a gas station and convenience store chain.

Buc-ee’s sued Bucky’s in 2017, after the Nebraska chain began work to open stores in the Houston area, including one within 15 miles of a Buc-ee’s. Now that the suit has been thrown out, Bucky’s is free to open stores under its own name in Texas.
This was the interesting part to me.
Buc-ee’s and Bucky’s first crossed paths more than a decade ago. A trademark dispute erupted in 2006 after Nebraska’s Bucky’s filed paperwork to federally trademark its name, some three months before the Texas Buc-ee’s did.

Buc-ee’s took Bucky’s to court in 2008, but ultimately negotiated an agreement that allowed Buc-ee’s to join Bucky’s in registering its name federally. In return, Bucky’s negotiated the ability to expand its chain without fear of being sued.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Rest assured, Texas Buc-ee's will not bother opening up in Nebraska. Also, it says more about the TX economy that Nebraska retailers want to open up in TX. It's not a knock against Bucky's/Buchanan's, I visit their stores a lot and they're consistently clean and stocked.

I'll cheerfully drive 9 hours to visit the locations in either Denton or Ft. Worth.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Some people talking on Nextdoor said that Bucky's wants to put a station at 90th and Blondo, where the old Romeo's was.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Padre wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:02 pm Some people talking on Nextdoor said that Bucky's wants to put a station at 90th and Blondo, where the old Romeo's was.

That parcel is apparently still owned by Seldin Real Estate out of Scottsdale.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:12 pm
Padre wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:02 pm Some people talking on Nextdoor said that Bucky's wants to put a station at 90th and Blondo, where the old Romeo's was.

That parcel is apparently still owned by Seldin Real Estate out of Scottsdale.
We talked about it on Grow Omaha today and Jeff or Trenton said that Bucky's was looking at it, but it had some access issues. Then the caller followed that up with something along the lines of "It has steep hills, Beer trucks get stuck there".
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I thought they were talking about the 63rd and Center Bucky's that didn't get the proper egress from the Planning Board and now is going to be an Aloft. The moment they said Bucky's, I tuned out. But a corner in Omaha that has a Walgreens, a CVS, and a Bucky's... Would only need on the NE corner a....
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Coyote wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:32 am But a corner in Omaha that has a Walgreens, a CVS, and a Bucky's... Would only need on the NE corner a....
Storage facility?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

bbinks wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:36 pm 99th & Blair Highway is closed.
This is now open. Went by about 10am and it was still blocked off — 2 hours later it was open for business. Nice upgrade.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Casey's General Stores buys Buchanan Energy, Bucky’s Convenience Stores
Casey’s General Stores, Inc. announced on Monday that it has acquired Buchanan Energy, owner of Bucky’s Convenience Stores, in an all-cash transaction for $580 million.

Casey’s acquisition of Buchanan Energy will include 94 retail stores and 79 dealer locations, which will give Casey’s a total of more than 2,300 stores.
Just curious does this mean that there won't be any BP stations in the Omaha metro? I have BP card and loving getting the gas rebate.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:05 pm Casey's General Stores buys Buchanan Energy, Bucky’s Convenience Stores
Casey’s General Stores, Inc. announced on Monday that it has acquired Buchanan Energy, owner of Bucky’s Convenience Stores, in an all-cash transaction for $580 million.

Casey’s acquisition of Buchanan Energy will include 94 retail stores and 79 dealer locations, which will give Casey’s a total of more than 2,300 stores.
Just curious does this mean that there won't be any BP stations in the Omaha metro? I have BP card and loving getting the gas rebate.
There are a few that are not Bucky's.

90th and Fort is Keith's
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Anderson has a few BP stations.

https://anderson1952.com

Has anyone been inside a remodeled Fantasy's yet? I was wondering what Casey's has been doing with those stores.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Are there any Buckys close enough to a Casey’s that they might close?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Padre wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:08 pm Are there any Buckys close enough to a Casey’s that they might close?
That’s a good question because historically, Casey’s operates usually outside of the urban core orbit of a metropolitan area..most all of the Casey’s I know of in the Omaha metropolitan area are suburban..

This move certainly expands the Casey’s portfolio into more urban landscapes...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I don't think that there will be any situations like when they bought Kabredlo's in Lincoln. That chain had an existing store right across the street from another Casey's on 70th and Havelock, and Casey's operated at both locations until early last year.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Padre wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:08 pm Are there any Buckys close enough to a Casey’s that they might close?
Over in Council Bluffs, there is a Bucky's just north of the 24th Street exit, and a Casey's just a couple blocks north of that. Just a few years ago that Bucky's knocked down their old location and built a new west-facing store on the site.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Near 72nd and Cornhusker, there is a Casey's that moved into the former Fantasy's across from Sam's Club. Then 2 blocks west there is another Casey's. There is a bucky's at 72nd and 370 just a mile south. That is going to be 3 in a relatively short distance.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Yep, when Casey's bought Fantasy's last year, they rebranded the basically brand-new Fantasy's on the southeast corner of 72nd & Cornhusker, and kept their existing store on the northwest corner.

With this news, my first thought was there will certainly be other situations like that, and maybe (hilariously) an intersection where we could end up with a Casey's on three corners. But overlaying maps of their respective current locations, it doesn't look like there's much overlap. Casey's is predominantly west of 680 -- and all but five of Bucky's locations are east of 680.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

The more the competition is consolidated the easier it is for them to charge us what ever they want for gas...so this is not a good thing more then likely.

Even though the sale for some 500 million dollars sounds like a great deal of money I wonder if Buckys made a big profit on this sale or not. I know for a fact that it was not uncommon at all for Buckys to have paid millions for each individual location they purchased. I know here in Millard they paid around 8 million dollars for the location on 138th & Q.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

So, I reckon the Buc-ee's / Bucky's schmozzle is moot now. Good.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

jessep28 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:03 pm Anderson has a few BP stations.

https://anderson1952.com

Has anyone been inside a remodeled Fantasy's yet? I was wondering what Casey's has been doing with those stores.
I've been in the one at Southpoint after the remodel. There's a lot of free floor space--it's not like a ground-up Casey's.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

damonhynes wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:25 pm So, I reckon the Buc-ee's / Bucky's schmozzle is moot now. Good.
That was resolved awhile back. Bucky’s won.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:47 am The more the competition is consolidated the easier it is for them to charge us what ever they want for gas...so this is not a good thing more then likely.

Even though the sale for some 500 million dollars sounds like a great deal of money I wonder if Buckys made a big profit on this sale or not. I know for a fact that it was not uncommon at all for Buckys to have paid millions for each individual location they purchased. I know here in Millard they paid around 8 million dollars for the location on 138th & Q.

There's still plenty of competition between QT, Kum & Go, KwikShop, the grocery stores, and smaller operators. You don't make money on gas anymore in the c-store industry anyways.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

EricHaley wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:50 pm
damonhynes wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:25 pm So, I reckon the Buc-ee's / Bucky's schmozzle is moot now. Good.
That was resolved awhile back. Bucky’s won.
One of them Pyrex victories :-)
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

Hope they build a real location with a kitchen on the southeast corner of 30th and Ames
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Omaha companies love to sell out lol
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I was looking something up about the deal and an old friend appeared in the search results.

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

jessep28 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:50 pm I was looking something up about the deal and an old friend appeared in the search results.

Mort just lost a local election as well, I believe it was for school board. I can’t imagine why people didnt want to place their children’s future education in his hands.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

jessep28 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:50 pm I was looking something up about the deal and an old friend appeared in the search results.

Mort's website looks like it was made on Geocites or Lycos 20 years ago.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:05 pm Casey's General Stores buys Buchanan Energy, Bucky’s Convenience Stores

Dang, I didn't realize Casey's was that big, given they hardly had any locations in the city up until the last few years. So I would assume all the Bucky's could change over to Casey's or they could continue to operate under "Bucky's". I want to point out that some of the Bucky's are BP and some others are Shell... Don't know if it matters
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 pm

Dang, I didn't realize Casey's was that big, given they hardly had any locations in the city up until the last few years. So I would assume all the Bucky's could change over to Casey's or they could continue to operate under "Bucky's". I want to point out that some of the Bucky's are BP and some others are Shell... Don't know if it matters
I've seen one Phillips 66 too.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

bbinks wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:56 pm I've seen one Phillips 66 too.
Oh yeah! The one at 72nd & Maple.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Some of the really old locations won't have room for a kitchen. 80th-ish and Dodge for instance. I don't see Casey's keeping mechanics on hand though. thats a small location with not many pumps. The newer Bucky's to the east will do well. Maybe they'll close the old store.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

My bet is that Casey's will rebrand the stores that they keep open and it will happen very quickly.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:15 pm Some of the really old locations won't have room for a kitchen. 80th-ish and Dodge for instance. I don't see Casey's keeping mechanics on hand though. thats a small location with not many pumps. The newer Bucky's to the east will do well. Maybe they'll close the old store.
Can't see them keeping that when there is a brand new giant Bucky's right across the street on 77th and Dodge.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Also, I wonder what they're going to do with the car warshes? I can't remember seeing a Casey's with one.