Homer's Music

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Homer's Music

Post by Big E »

http://www.journalstar.com/news/busines ... 009037.txt
LJS wrote:Independent music store Homer’s plans to close its downtown location May 26.

The Homer’s store at 6105 O St., across from Westfield Gateway mall, will remain open.
LJS wrote:Fratt said he doesn’t want people to view the Homer’s closing as a digital-music-killed-the-record-store situation, though, because that’s not the case.

But Fratt did say that having a location near the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is not as attractive as it once was, as students turn more and more to downloading music instead of buying compact discs.
LOL... In other words, "Don't view it as downloading killed the record store, but downloading killed the record store."

As always, I'm sad to see a downtown retailer leave, but Economic Darwinism is Economic Darwinism.

-Big E
Stable genius.
ihartfield
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ihartfield »

Look for stores to be added in other Midwestern cities! :;):
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Dear Forum:

I was a record store in a small midwestern college town.  I never thought I'd be writing this, but...
Stable genius.
ihartfield
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ihartfield »

My earlier post came to fruition. I wish Homer's 'good luck'!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10054588
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Homer's down to two stores

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090828/MONEY/708289960
Christine Laue WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Homer's Music, an Omaha-based independent record chain, will close two stores — on Saddle Creek Road in Omaha and its last store in Lincoln — and relocate its flagship store in the Old Market about a block west.

The retail environment is the most difficult general manager Mike Fratt has seen in his 31 years with the 38-year-old company, he said, and Fratt didn't want to renew his expiring leases at their current rates.
Christine Laue WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:While Homer's had as many as 15 stores in the 1990s and as far away as Des Moines, the closings will leave the company with two stores — one in west Omaha and one downtown.
Christine Laue WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Fratt currently is renegotiating the lease for Homer's Orchard Plaza store at 2457 S. 132nd St., northeast of 132nd Street and West Center. He declined to discuss the negotiations.

The Old Market store will move from its midblock location at 1114 Howard St., where it's been since 1986, to another midblock site at 1210 Howard St., a now vacant storefront formerly home to Bella's Place art gallery.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

At least it ain't closing. I'd cry without Homer's down there.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm glad they're not closing either. I still buy music unlike a lot of people nowadays. I also get most of my movies from there. It would be sad if they completely closed. I think it will just be weird them moving down the block.
DTO
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DTO Luv wrote:I'm glad they're not closing either. I still buy music unlike a lot of people nowadays. I also get most of my movies from there. It would be sad if they completely closed. I think it will just be weird them moving down the block.
To a location that they were in for a while in the past.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It will be weird for me since they've been in the same spot since the year I was born. :)
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:It will be weird for me since they've been in the same spot since the year I was born. :)
Dam Kids...

Actually in the article it says they were forced to move in 86 because of a fire.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DTO Luv wrote:It will be weird for me since they've been in the same spot since the year I was born. :)

SO, that is when time begins,  I always wondered.   THANKS!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!