Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bbinks
Parks & Recreation

More Hollywood Video closings.

Post by bbinks »

I noticed today that the locations at 84th & Center as well as 130th & Center both have store closing sales.   Not a thriving business to be in anymore.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Add 156th and Q to that list.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I learned about Red Box last weekend.  Between that and In demand, no more annoying video stores for me!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

The Hollywood at 68th & O in Lincoln is also dodo-bound.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

The last time I was at a Hollywood Video, I was browsing through their going-out-of-business sale!  Between several convenient RedBox and MovieCube (basically the same thing as Redbox) locations as well as checking out older films for free at the local library, I haven't rented from a video store in years.

The funny thing is, I remember questioning the viability of RedBox when McDonald's first announced it.  Of course, if they were only in McDonald's, I would rarely, if ever, use them.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Hollywood at 84th and W. Center is closing soon.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

Going out of business at Pepperwood Village, 156th & Dodge St. Shopped the going out of business sale last night.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hollywood Video fades to black

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100511/M ... s-to-black
John Keenan WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Roll the credits on Hollywood Video.

The video and DVD rental chain, owned by Movie Gallery Inc., is set to close all its U.S. stores within the next few months, including Movie Gallery locations.

The closures come on the heels of several signs of financial distress for the chain, based in Wilsonville, Ore. On Feb. 2, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for the second time since 2007, listing debt of $500 million to $1 billion and assets of up to $50 million.

In the Omaha market, the chain’s demise has been a slow fade to black rather than a quick cut.

After the February filing, three Hollywood Videos in Omaha and one in Bellevue closed, leaving only two outlets in the metro area, at 633 N. 46th St. and 5401 N. 90th St.

The 90th Street location already is in the final stages of a liquidation sale. On Monday afternoon, customers wandered through depleted racks of half-price video games and deeply discounted movies.

Area Movie Gallery locations, according to the website, included stores in Plattsmouth and Columbus, and in Red Oak and Atlantic, Iowa.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Ouch, only $50 million in assets and up to a billion in debt!  I'm glad I never invested in them!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Unless you buy videos, Blu-Ray is quickly becoming a dead format.  If you want to rent videos, the new streaming media players are going to be the way to go.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Now if the main issue IS in fact bandwidth, it should be a short lived. I'm by no means an expert, but I've worked with wide area network surveillance, where each location simply streams footage to a data center, and I do know that there are several new ways they are experimenting with compressing and transferring your basic content and streaming footage. The FCC is also clearing the way for broadband via radio transmission, which is supposedly crazy fast.

Either way, I'd give it another 5 years or so and it should be a non-issue.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

In 5 years everything will be different. Technology changes So fast. Speaking of redbox and netfix and things like that putting these video stores out of business, I saw a blockbuster "bluebox" last night. Has anyone else seen one?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

When did the Peony Park Blockbuster close?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:When did the Peony Park Blockbuster close?
About 6 weeks ago.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Have you heard that Dish Network bought the remnants of Blockbuster in a Bankruptcy auction?  Will be interesting to see what they try and do with it.  They have stated they intend to keep many B7M stores open
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... l?hpid=z10

Charlie Ergen, chief executive of Dish Network, is a gambling man.  Before selling satellite dishes out of a truck with his wife, Candy, 30 years ago, he tried his hand at professional blackjack in Las Vegas. Now the outspoken billionaire appears to be placing one of his biggest bets yet: on Internet video.

This month, Dish bought Blockbuster off the auction block for $320 million. The move was as puzzling to industry watchers as it was intriguing. Blockbuster, the brick-and-mortar video chain, had been knocked flat by Internet companies such as Netflix that were quicker to move from DVD rentals to streaming movies online..................................
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

A news report this morning said that Dish was going to close 500 more stores in the coming months.   Has anyone heard if any of the few remaining here will survive the ax?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Man, I'm not entirely sure the last time I've even seen a Blockbuster, let alone used one.  I've been using NetFlix for almost a decade now.  

The only thing I ever see are those Family Video standalone places in small towns where people are still using VCRs.
Stable genius.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Family video is actually a pretty good place, they have a ton of kids videos for free and have pretty good deals in general.  I went to one of those blockbuster versions of redbox and it was about $3/day.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

No more Blockbuster Stores in Iowa.  Can Nebraska be far behind?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130219/N ... es-in-iowa
The five final Blockbuster stores in Iowa will close this spring as part of a move to close hundreds of the video rental shops across the nation.

Stores in Ankeny, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Iowa City and Muscatine will close in April, ending a 20-year presence in Iowa.......................
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

nebugeater wrote:No more Blockbuster Stores in Iowa.  Can Nebraska be far behind?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130219/N ... es-in-iowa
The five final Blockbuster stores in Iowa will close this spring as part of a move to close hundreds of the video rental shops across the nation.

Stores in Ankeny, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Iowa City and Muscatine will close in April, ending a 20-year presence in Iowa.......................
132nd & Maple is still open.   Their parking lot still has traffic on evenings and weekends.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

bbinks wrote:Their parking lot still has traffic on evenings and weekends.
Good to know the unregulated meth & handy trade is thriving.
Stable genius.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Store closing banner and signage up on the 139th and R location.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:Store closing banner and signage up on the 139th and R location.
I can't believe there are still locations even open...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
I can't believe there are still locations even open...
Isn't there still one open along 370 In Bellevue.  Maybe about 42md street
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Blockbuster was bought out of Bankruptcy by Dish Network.  They just announced recently that they are shutting down their Blockbuster @ Home service where they mail you a DVD off of your list much like the original Netflix model.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The one on Saddle Creek has closing signs up as well.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

NOOOOOOOO. I went to that one all the time!!!!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RNcyanide wrote:
NOOOOOOOO. I went to that one all the time!!!!
Why? Don't you pass like 5 Red Boxes that only cost $1 to get to that Blockbuster?  

What's block Buster cost these days?  Last time I used a Blockbuster was at least a decade ago and they at least a few dollars to rent.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

RedBox never has anything I want. Plus Blockbuster is closer to my house.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Between Baker's, HyVee, and Walgreens, We seem to find everything we want.  All Three locations (6 red boxes in total) are within an easy walk of our house.  We look online for a location that has the movie, reserve it, and go pick it up.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

RNcyanide wrote:RedBox never has anything I want. Plus Blockbuster is closer to my house.
Congratulations, you are Blockbuster's last customer.  You win $3/night DVD rentals.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Now the nearest place to my house that I am aware of is on 168th and Harrison, and I hate driving out there.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Plus of you look hard enough, you can usually find free one night DVD rental codes from Redbox.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I haven't used redbox or blockbuster in years.  It is so much easier to just rent or buy on Apple TV on iTunes, HBOGO, and netflix
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

My boyfriend is getting me into NetFlix. I might just go with that instead.

The Bride
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Netlfix is good to an extent. I hat that the adjust what is available sometimes the movie you want is on there sometimes it's been removed. I still enjoy that 10x more than Hulu plus
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I'm not too big on new releases, but from what I remember, it takes NetFlix a while to get them. Every now and then there is one I want to see. Still haven't seen Into Darkness or Skyfall yet.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

RNcyanide wrote:I'm not too big on new releases, but from what I remember, it takes NetFlix a while to get them. Every now and then there is one I want to see. Still haven't seen Into Darkness or Skyfall yet.
Unless they had to get a rare movie like a documentary from another warehouse, I would get most of my stuff fro Netflix the day after it shipped.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We have become addicted to Netflix online.  Plus they have original programming which is worth watching.