Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

choke
Human Relations

Re: Kum & Go Business News

Post by choke »

Brad wrote:
Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:
which would allow the holder to fill a container, commonly referred to as growlers, up to 32 ounces for consumption off the licensed premises.
I thought Growlers were 64 ounces?
Kum and Go testified today for LB632. Said they would start selling growlers in Nebraska only if Nebraska raised Growler size for retailers from 32 oz to 64 oz.
Kum & Go is asking the Unicameral again to raise the allowed Growler size from 32oz. to 64oz.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They opened a "Kum & Godega" in downtown DSM. More or less just the convenience store minus the gas.

Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

iamjacobm wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:22 pm They opened a "Kum & Godega" in downtown DSM. More or less just the convenience store minus the gas.

Not a bad idea for downtown Omaha, if the supermarkets won’t go in.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Did Des Moines have any damage over the weekend?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I can’t remember where but I believe I remembered hearing they were putting one in north downtown. Maybe by Kiewit? Or Capital? It’s been a while, but I heard they’re interested in Omaha.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://businessden.com/2020/07/06/conv ... -downtown/
Besides the two Denver locations, the other three walkup stores that Kum & Go has opened or will open later this year are in Omaha, Des Moines and the college town of Ames, Iowa.

Kum & Go may open additional walk-up locations next year, but the concept is considered a pilot, so the company will closely watch how the locations perform, DePhillips.
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

OmahaJaysCU wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:41 pm I can’t remember where but I believe I remembered hearing they were putting one in north downtown. Maybe by Kiewit? Or Capital? It’s been a while, but I heard they’re interested in Omaha.
Given they say the location will be finished this year, only two places ready are Capital District and Capital Place. Both have ground floor space. One has better parking, the other has better delivery and refuse management.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Kum & Go will be occupying the NE corner north of 180th &'W Dodge
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

They filed a building permit for one at 114th & 370, too, in Granite Falls Commercial. (Technically it just says "Gas Station" on Papillion's city permit website but the SID president is my neighbor and confirmed it will be a Kum & Go.) Should do well there with the high school across the street and no other gas station competition between Shadow Lake and Werner Park.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

WBR_Tom wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:17 am the SID president is my neighbor
What a life that must be 😬
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Northeast corner?
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:10 pm
WBR_Tom wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:17 am the SID president is my neighbor
What a life that must be 😬
Indeed. On the one hand, I hear a lot of gossip which is good. On the other, there's no shelter from things that don't meet the SID rules, which is not good. :lol: :lol:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

They are closing their gas-less convenience stores on December 19th, including the one in the Capitol District.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Evidently K&G is coming to Michigan. On one of the Detroit forums they are having a field day with the name.
First 50 years in Omaha, last 50 in Detroit. Yes, I'm that crazy.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

All former Kum & Go locations should be referred to as Kame & Went.
OmahaRedWing
Home Owners Association

Re: Kum & Go ---->>> Maverik

Post by OmahaRedWing »

Kum and Go has entered into an agreement to be purchased by Maverik:

https://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2023/04/21/9799555.htm
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

OmahaRedWing wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:24 am Kum and Go has entered into an agreement to be purchased by Maverik:

Hmm, interesting. I wonder how this affects Kum and Go's HQ in West DSM. It was built in 2015 and initially had 300 corporate employees, with space for 800. Anyone know how many employees they have at corporate HQ?
OmahaRedWing
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaRedWing »

ita wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:01 pm
OmahaRedWing wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:24 am Kum and Go has entered into an agreement to be purchased by Maverik:

Hmm, interesting. I wonder how this affects Kum and Go's HQ in West DSM. It was built in 2015 and initially had 300 corporate employees, with space for 800. Anyone know how many employees they have at corporate HQ?
Kum and Go used Prokarma (now Concentrix) Omaha office to do a lot of IT development for them.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

ita wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:01 pm

Saving grace is that there's no overlap between territories, unlike Casey's/Bucky's.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome! Maverik gas stations are great.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:06 pm Awesome! Maverik gas stations are great.
Do they have more fresh food options? Is it something similar to KwikStar/KwikTrip from Wisconsin?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:33 pm
Brad wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:06 pm Awesome! Maverik gas stations are great.
Do they have more fresh food options? Is it something similar to KwikStar/KwikTrip from Wisconsin?
They have the MOAB Burrito and that's all you need! LOL

I frequent a lot of Maveriks on my photography trips to the western US.

https://www.maverik.com/food/
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Is this transition going to make K&G better? I personally think Bucky’s was better managed than many Casey's. Hopefully Maverik maintains the K&G standard.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

bbinks wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:44 am Is this transition going to make K&G better? I personally think Bucky’s was better managed than many Casey's. Hopefully Maverik maintains the K&G standard.
Personally, I think all 3 of these brands suck. Bucky’s workers always looked like they were hung over. Caseys is a mess outside of pizza and Kum and Go has limited selection and high prices.

I’m telling you, you get a chance to visit Kwik Star in IA or Kwik Trip in WI you can see they actually care about their stores. The worker pay starts at $15 and goes much higher and the stores have an expanded food selection, fresh from the same day bakery items. Fresh fruit that is as good as the store and many other things. Right now they have expanded into the western suburbs of Des Moines and also in the Sioux City area, hopefully making it to Omaha someday soon.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

skinzfan23 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:58 am
bbinks wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:44 am Is this transition going to make K&G better? I personally think Bucky’s was better managed than many Casey's. Hopefully Maverik maintains the K&G standard.
Personally, I think all 3 of these brands suck. Bucky’s workers always looked like they were hung over. Caseys is a mess outside of pizza and Kum and Go has limited selection and high prices.

I’m telling you, you get a chance to visit Kwik Star in IA or Kwik Trip in WI you can see they actually care about their stores. The worker pay starts at $15 and goes much higher and the stores have an expanded food selection, fresh from the same day bakery items. Fresh fruit that is as good as the store and many other things. Right now they have expanded into the western suburbs of Des Moines and also in the Sioux City area, hopefully making it to Omaha someday soon.
I hear Holidays in that area are nice too
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I can’t believe how horrible the transition from Bucky’s to Casey’s base been. Go to any caseys outside the Omaha metro and they are better managed. That said, all the Maverik locations I have been to have been good. I’ve been to +/- 20 Maverik locations and all have been a good experience.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I wonder if they just kept all the old Buckys employees for the caseys
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

The previous owner of Bucky's is all like "ha ha ha... I'm mega rich and all of the Casey's suck |expletive|!"

I miss the days of Kwik Shop like the one on Saddle Creek and California that had video games to play. I would go down there on the daily on summer break from school and get a refill in my 32 oz cup and drop a dollar or two in the arcade games they had at the time.

I did recently find out that the Casey's cherry doughnuts are quite tasty... so they have that and breakfast pizza. Otherwise, the place is a |expletive| hole. I've also had my credit card skimmed at their pumps at the store on 180th and Harrison at least twice. I won't even buy gas there any longer because of it.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

djc311 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:35 pm The previous owner of Bucky's is all like "ha ha ha... I'm mega rich and all of the Casey's suck |expletive|!"

I miss the days of Kwik Shop like the one on Saddle Creek and California that had video games to play. I would go down there on the daily on summer break from school and get a refill in my 32 oz cup and drop a dollar or two in the arcade games they had at the time.

I did recently find out that the Casey's cherry doughnuts are quite tasty... so they have that and breakfast pizza. Otherwise, the place is a |expletive| hole. I've also had my credit card skimmed at their pumps at the store on 180th and Harrison at least twice. I won't even buy gas there any longer because of it.
Steve Buchanan?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

djc311 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:35 pm I've also had my credit card skimmed at their pumps at the store on 180th and Harrison at least twice. I won't even buy gas there any longer because of it.
Im not a defender of Casey’s because, imo, the experience there is completely hit and miss depending on the location..and their so called “great” pizza is totally overrated..

But-

You can get your card skimmed at ANY automated fuel dispenser. It can (and HAS) happened most anyplace they can be found. This happenstance is certainly not exclusive to Casey’s. The only real way to protect yourself is to stop paying at the pump and go into the store and pre pay. Other than that, you put yourself at risk of having your card skimmed by placing your card into any automated fuel dispenser..

Regarding Kum & Go, I hope all the Omaha area locations are name changed to Maverick.. Personal preference…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

I never go in the convenience stores so it doesn't really matter to me, but I always get gas at Kum & Go just because I have the app (okay and because I like the name).

My only experience with Maverik is stopping at one in Denver to put air in my tire and having to pay for the air lol, but I think that was more of a Denver in general thing than anything specific to Maverik.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Greg S wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:02 am
djc311 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:35 pm The previous owner of Bucky's is all like "ha ha ha... I'm mega rich and all of the Casey's suck |expletive|!"

Steve Buchanan?
I remember when Steve had the "Mr. Mechanic" show on KFAB Sat AM, it was a pleasant show, and educational. It took me a long time to twig to the Buchanan-Bucky's connection.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:30 pm You can get your card skimmed at ANY automated fuel dispenser. It can (and HAS) happened most anyplace they can be found. This happenstance is certainly not exclusive to Casey’s. The only real way to protect yourself is to stop paying at the pump and go into the store and pre pay. Other than that, you put yourself at risk of having your card skimmed by placing your card into any automated fuel dispenser..
Its 2023... Just use your phone to pay.

damonhynes wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:33 am I remember when Steve had the "Mr. Mechanic" show on KFAB Sat AM, it was a pleasant show, and educational. It took me a long time to twig to the Buchanan-Bucky's connection.
Still on Saturday's at 11.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Brad wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:37 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:30 pm You can get your card skimmed at ANY automated fuel dispenser. It can (and HAS) happened most anyplace they can be found. This happenstance is certainly not exclusive to Casey’s. The only real way to protect yourself is to stop paying at the pump and go into the store and pre pay. Other than that, you put yourself at risk of having your card skimmed by placing your card into any automated fuel dispenser..

damonhynes wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:33 am I remember when Steve had the "Mr. Mechanic" show on KFAB Sat AM, it was a pleasant show, and educational. It took me a long time to twig to the Buchanan-Bucky's connection.
When I was a kid in the 70's wmy Dad and I used to go to the Standard/Amoco at 72nd and Dodge ( I grew up south of Dodge on 68th). My Dad also got our car worked on there everytime we needed maintenance or repair. Ray Anderson opened it and Steve worked there. He, I believe was a teenage. It's when they still pumped gas. He was always really nice to my Dad. He worked his way up to mechanic and obviously more. Granted it's been a long long time, but anyone that was that nice to my Dad will be OK to me. I still remember it to this day.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I’m curious as to how many people actually use their phones to pay at the pump?..

I have and still do, simply walk into the store and tell the cashier “$$ on pump X” and pay with my card inside. No worries, no skimming and really, no hassle…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:38 pm I’m curious as to how many people actually use their phones to pay at the pump?..
I've started getting into the habit of using my phone at pumps I know have the reader, but I still end up at enough older gas stations w/o it that it's still 50/50 for me.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

almighty_tuna wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:55 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:38 pm I’m curious as to how many people actually use their phones to pay at the pump?..
I've started getting into the habit of using my phone at pumps I know have the reader, but I still end up at enough older gas stations w/o it that it's still 50/50 for me.
I used the Kum and Go app a lot to buy gas. It's especially nice when the weather is less than ideal.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Thanks, Brad!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:38 pm
I’m curious as to how many people actually use their phones to pay at the pump?..

I have and still do, simply walk into the store and tell the cashier “$$ on pump X” and pay with my card inside. No worries, no skimming and really, no hassle…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
I almost always fill my tank when I go, so giving them a set amount of $$ doesn't really work.

Also at Kum and Go, if you buy at least 10 gallons using their app, you get a free coffee loaded to your rewards.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:38 pm
I made a complete 180 on using Apple Pay (Or Samsung Pay). For the longest time I was totally again it, saying things like "Paying with your phone is stupid". However Creighton and UNO both went paperless with their tickets and CU parking passes that I had to start using my apple wallet. I went ahead and put my FNBO card in my apple wallet too. My 180 happened so fast that within a week I went from saying "Paying with your phone is stupid" to getting annoyed by businesses that don't take contactless pavements! I believe I also mentioned this in another thread, but I am also a gigantic fan of restaurants that have the Toast POS systems that put the QR code right on your bill.