American Apparel

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

xxtyderxx
New to the Neighborhood

American Apparel

Post by xxtyderxx »

There is an American Apparel opening in downtown. I don't think this had its own topic yet.

http://www.americanapparel.net/storeloc ... areaid=140

EXCITING =]
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

as cool as that is, i was hoping that it would be more near to where woodmen/first national are; lots of retail could go in there, would do a lot of wonder for that part of downtown.  Someone already said it, but an Apple store, a clothing store, and maybe an office supply chain would work out well (i think) in downtown.
Go Cubs Go
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

YES!

Here is the address:
733 N 14th St.
Omaha, NE 68102

That would be next to Urban Outfitters!

:dancing:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Sweet! This can only lead to more and more.
DTO
xxtyderxx
New to the Neighborhood

Post by xxtyderxx »

I am actually ordering stuff online, and was wishing and wishing they would make one in Omaha. So I just happened to look at the locations, and there it was.
I may hold off on ordering one thing (hoodie) because of many complaints of it smelling like fish lol

Also, does anyone know if there is a place in the old market that sells American Apparel? I saw a sign for it and it seemed like it was by Maggie Moo's or something. I figured maybe they resell or something?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

American Apparel to join Saddle Creek's North Downtown complex

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10262166
The space reserved for a restaurant in north downtown's Saddle Creek Records complex will instead house American Apparel, a national clothing retailer known for T-shirts made in its downtown Los Angeles headquarters.

American Apparel, which operates the largest garment factory in the United States, will be the second major national clothing retailer to locate in the north downtown complex. The Omaha store, which does not have an announced opening date, will be Nebraska's first American Apparel, according to the company's Web site.

Urban Outfitters — a Philadelphia-based company that sells hip clothes, shoes, accessories, gifts and home décor — opened in October in the complex at 14th and Cuming Streets, marking the first time in two decades that a major national clothing retailer had operated in downtown Omaha.

American Apparel, also popular with young cosmopolitan consumers, is the final commercial tenant to locate in the two-building complex, marking a shift in the developer's original plans and also Omaha's evolving retail image.

"It kind of shows that Urban wasn't any kind of a fluke," said Jason Kulbel, one of two record label executives who developed the complex, "that people think very highly of what's going on in this area and what we're doing."

American Apparel's signing of a lease for the 3,800-square-feet space in the complex's north building comes just as a seven-member committee on Monday unanimously endorsed a downtown baseball stadium in parking lots northwest of the Qwest Center Omaha — news welcomed by Kulbel.

"The whole area has needed something to happen that spurs the next step," he said. "I think we always knew that (the stadium) was what it is going to be."
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

The space reserved for a restaurant in north downtown's Saddle Creek Records complex will instead house American Apparel
That might give a whole new meaning to "eat my shorts!" :) :)

Did I say that? {blush} :)
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

All my shallow, indie-rock, fashionista dreams are coming true! :coolwoot:
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Looks like another store I'll never buy anything at, but it's good we're getting one. Some people obviously like it just not my thing.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

I believe that Drastic Plastic carries some of their stuff but I could be wrong.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

They carry their t-shirts.

For those who've never been in an AmAp store, it's an excercise in absurdity.

Aaron, did you or I ever take a picture of those girls working at the AmAp in Montreal? They had butt like whoa.
pseudoprometheus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pseudoprometheus »

[right][left]Oh wow, this is great news!  I've been ordering stuff from American Apparel's online store for some time, mainly because of their sweatshop-free nature.  Granted, Dov Charney (the CEO) is a misogynist |expletive| who, oddly enough, doesn't care for unionization.  Still, I think the company's pros outweigh its cons in the end.  Cheers to Omaha getting one of their stores!  :D[/left][/right]
... wait, what?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

|expletive| yeah!  I knew this would happen.  Yay.

And, Bob, I don't think we got any pictures...but you may have captured some video...
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Any idea when they're supposed to start work on this store?  I've been past slowdown several times in the last couple of weeks, and this space looks no different than it did pre-announcement of the store.  Sure would be nice to get them in there and further increase the foot traffic in that area of North Downtown.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

They'll probably shoot for an end-of-summer/fall opening.  I'd imagine work will start in June or July.  It won't take much to get the space finished compared with Urban Outfitters, which is larger and has much more complex and comprehensive design elements.  AmAp stores are much more "minimalist".  The main "visual" element to their stores is just the clothes, which tend to be VERY colorful.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Work has been progressing on this store.  The bathrooms and changing rooms are done, the lighting and HVAC is all in place.  The display racks are being assembled now.  VERY minimalist, all white, with red touches here and there, the display furniture is all white wire with red trim.  I am sure they will open by October, so they can get in on the very lackluster holiday sales this year.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for all your updates Chef!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

American Apparel clothier is excited about its downtown digs
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The new Omaha store, located in the Saddle Creek Record complex at 14th and Webster Streets, is expected to open sometime next week, marking the international retailer's Nebraska debut. Its Omaha opening marked the first time in two decades that a major national clothing retailer had operated downtown.

With American Apparel's opening, the complex has its retail bays fully leased and occupied. The complex also has seven apartments, and only one has not been leased, Kulbel said.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I drove past today (during the pouring rain).  The signage (or at least part of the signage?) is up on the building.  It's not as substantial as I was hoping, but it stool looks classy and urban in American Apparel's simple, modern way.
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

It should be opening up tomorrow!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Doors open today.
Published Friday    September 12, 2008
American Apparel opens its north downtown store
BY CHRISTINE LAUE
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

American Apparel opened its doors today in north downtown Omaha, marking the Los Angeles-based retailer's first Nebraska store.

Located in the Saddle Creek Records complex near 14th and Webster Streets, the store will employ 11 people, nine of whom are local, said American Apparel's Jonny Szymanski.

American Apparel is the manufacturer and retailer of wardrobe basics such as T-shirts, socks, underwear, tank tops and sweatshirts for men, women and children.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Photo Update

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Here are some photos of the exterior.

Since the comments I made about the signage, they have since FINISHED the signage, and the sleek, simple signs stretch all the way around from the West face to the South face.

This neon arrow sign will look sweet at night.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Streets finally busting out the camera in Omaha again!

Nice Work!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks.  It felt good.  :)  Believe me, I've been wanting to "get back out there" for a long time.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i hope that people really start flooding that area; i would hate to see American apparel and urban outfitters not succeed.
Go Cubs Go
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Believe me.  They both know that they've come into an up-and-coming area that will bring them lots of business, but that things take time, and they know that they are HUGE pieces of the puzzle that is making this area something really special.
kristinedrake

Post by kristinedrake »

If anyone's heading to one of the remaining shows (Chicago, Indianapolis, etc) and is planning on buying a medium of the red shirt, let me know.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

kristinedrake wrote:If anyone's heading to one of the remaining shows (Chicago, Indianapolis, etc) and is planning on buying a medium of the red shirt, let me know.
I need more... ???
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

kristinedrake's IP is from Pakistan - which is now banned.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coming a little late to the "Draw Muhammed Day" party, aren't we? :;):
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

From the WSJ this AM it looks like American Apparel is falling on hard times.  Some of the print edition story is viewable on line for free...  Would be a blow for development in this area if they went out of business.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 97308.html

American Apparel Inc., the edgy maker and retailer of casual clothes, warned Tuesday it may not be able to remain in business amid declining sales and mounting debt.

The news sent American Apparel shares falling nearly 26% during regular trading to an all-time low of $1.03 on the American Stock Exchange
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nebugeater wrote:From the WSJ this AM it looks like American Apparel is falling on hard times.  Some of the print edition story is viewable on line for free...  Would be a blow for development in this area if they went out of business.
There was a blurb on NPR about this yesterday, focusing on the wording and the "spin" that AA used to euphemize the fact that they were most likely heading down the bankruptcy trail. :(

There was speculation that they would not shut down abruptly, but seek protection from the Court, and alter their business model. One point that was made was along the line of moving from branded retail shops to partner agreements with larger more firmly-entrenched retailers. Target' was mentioned.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Good.
Their owner is a domestic violence apologist, and they only hire people they deem "pretty" by shipping off pictures of potential hirees to a corporate office to be judged.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

justnick wrote:Their owner is a domestic violence apologist, and they only hire people they deem "pretty" by shipping off pictures of potential hirees to a corporate office to be judged.
I don't know about your first point, but many firms, whether they admit it or not, use physical attractiveness as one criteria when selecting their front-line "on stage" sales staff. It can even be argued that a qualification for a sales associate in a trendy shop is to be visually appealing and fashion-savvy.

It's not fair, but it is quite common.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Omababe wrote:
justnick wrote:Their owner is a domestic violence apologist, and they only hire people they deem "pretty" by shipping off pictures of potential hirees to a corporate office to be judged.
I don't know about your first point, but many firms, whether they admit it or not, use physical attractiveness as one criteria when selecting their front-line "on stage" sales staff. It can even be argued that a qualification for a sales associate in a trendy shop is to be visually appealing and fashion-savvy.

It's not fair, but it is quite common.
Abercrombie and Fitch has been known to offer jobs to attractive people they see shopping in their stores. And frankly I can't argue with it. If Abercrombie and Fitch had the same visual appeal standards for their employees as, say, Council Bluffs Wal-Mart, I know I'd be a bit turned off to their product.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I don't know about clothing, but I'd be inclined to split a tub of cheese fries with a fat hooter's waitress for the perfect FB profile picture.