Bakers closing another store??

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Jason

Bakers closing another store??

Post by Jason »

Is Baker's on So. 84th closing??  I found this today on Lund's website.  

NWC 84th & Giles Rd.
Brentwood Square - Former Baker's Supermarket Levy, Schneiderman, Weeder
$8.50 46236/46236
 NNN  Now N/A
Comments: Premier anchor retail space available in the established Brentwood Square. Great demographics and located along 84th & Giles corridor. Surrounding area retailers include Steve & Barry's, Dollar Tree, The Avenue, Office Depot and more. Please contact agents for more information or to schedule a showing.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It is an outdated and undersized store.  I was in there after going to Steve and Barry's in the fall and was amazed at how antiquated it seemed compared to other Baker's.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think No Frills is kicking them around down there then when HyVee opened the Days were numbered.

Remember when Baker's was Bakers and not Kroger, they were number one all over town!

Post by Guest »

I can see why.  Although I kind of like the smaller older style feel, we shop at any of five other places in the area rather than go to Bakers.  That is a Bakers problem though and not a problem with that store.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:I think No Frills is kicking them around down there then when HyVee opened the Days were numbered.

Remember when Baker's was Bakers and not Kroger, they were number one all over town!
Brad, you hit on the real issue right here.  Baker's left Omaha a few years ago.  They do not exist any more.  They are trying to live off the old Bakers name and they do not deliver what people expect that remember Bakers.  I think they would be more successful parking the name now too, like they did away with what Bakers meant when they took over the chain.  They would be more successful if they re-branded to what they really are Kroger's, and marketed this point taking on the spin that we are new to Omaha and now bringing you what Kroger is all about, whatever that is.  They cannot be successful  trying to be something they are not.  The few times I still go in Bakers I am totally disappointed knowing what they once where.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad, you hit on the real issue right here.  Baker's left Omaha a few years ago.  They do not exist any more.  They are trying to live off the old Bakers name and they do not deliver what people expect that remember Bakers.  I think they would be more successful parking the name now too, like they did away with what Bakers meant when they took over the chain.  They would be more successful if they re-branded to what they really are Kroger's, and marketed this point taking on the spin that we are new to Omaha and now bringing you what Kroger is all about, whatever that is.  They cannot be successful  trying to be something they are not.  The few times I still go in Bakers I am totally disappointed knowing what they once where.
After working there for 5 years, I can't even go in there anymore.  I remember all the rules we had as it relates to customer service.... Just not the same.

I predict that the Baker's on North 90th is the next to go!
Bakers hater

Post by Bakers hater »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:I think No Frills is kicking them around down there then when HyVee opened the Days were numbered.

I went to Bakers the other night to pick up a few things.  One of the things I wanted was a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper.  They had it priced at $4.49, but with my Bakers card I could get it for the bargain basement price of $4.29.

Screw Bakers/Kroger.  I will never shop in their store again.

Post by Guest »

are you kidding me--the people at Bakers are trying their ---- off to make it work--give them a break--do you think they  just decided to stop taking care of customers, they are working very hard to make it work--it is all in the advertising--if you don't want a 12 pack of pop for 4.29 go somewhere else they, will get you on another price--its all in the marketing man. If you like some country music singer saying there is a helpful smile in every aisle--go to hy-vee  all that corporate money goes to IOWA.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Anonymous wrote:all that corporate money goes to IOWA.
And All your Baker's money goes to Ohio. What's your point?
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

In the past year I have shopped at Bakers probably only a handful of times. There is one right down the hill from our house (72 and Ames) but the service there is not great. The stores smells from the meat department were pretty bad last time I was there and I think in the last couple of years the staff attitude has deteriorated. It feels like an intrusion half the time to get my groceries checked out and paid for. I never get asked anymore if I would like help out with my groceries either. I don't usually request help but the offer is always appreciated. I have also had trouble with the produce that I have bought there. It doesn't last as long when I get it home as what I get at other stores does. Sorry I like to shop as close to home as possible but I am not willing to pay to have staff be rude and get poor environment and poor products.
Patty Beeken
MDS Coordinator Eastern Nebraska Veteran's Home
Serving America's Heroes

There is no time limit to solving a mystery
url=http://postimage.org/]Image[/url]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anonymous wrote:are you kidding me--the people at Bakers are trying their ---- off to make it work--give them a break--do you think they  just decided to stop taking care of customers, they are working very hard to make it work.
Yes, the did just quit taking care of their customers.  The biggest change from Baker's to Kroger is how the customer service decreased about 10000%

Post by Guest »

I've always found Bakers to consistently have higher prices than Hy-Vee, and the service absolutely blows most of the time.  The only good thing about Bakers is that the Bakers card lets me save money on gasoline at Kwik Shop.  Otherwise I take the ad to a store that matches and get Bakers' "sale" prices without dealing with the otherwise high prices and lousy service.  Good riddance.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Have to say I went into the Bakers on 84-Brentwood tonight and the staff was very friendly and offered to carry my three bags out (I declined).  Some of you have had customer service issues and complain since ole Abe sold out to Flemings (and it evolved to Krogers), but the kids that work there, in most cases, still treat customers well.
Lizard
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Lizard »

I only shop at Bakers on occasion, but that particular store on Giles is always busy, so I'd be surprised to see it close.  Maybe the Supercenter's taken away enough customers to not make it profitable anymore, I dunno.  The Bakers around 130th and Q would be a better choice, there's rarely a soul in there even on peak hours.

Post by Guest »

Lizard wrote:I only shop at Bakers on occasion, but that particular store on Giles is always busy, so I'd be surprised to see it close.  Maybe the Supercenter's taken away enough customers to not make it profitable anymore, I dunno.  The Bakers around 130th and Q would be a better choice, there's rarely a soul in there even on peak hours.
... get ready to be surprised, then.  Employees have already been told that it's coming.

Post by Guest »

Has Krogers even opened a new store in Omaha since they took over ??

Seems like they've been 'pulling a Simon'.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Lizard wrote:The Bakers around 130th and Q would be a better choice, there's rarely a soul in there even on peak hours.
Au contraire! If you're talking about the one at Deerfield Plaza, that's the Bakers I visit most, usually on the way home, and it's always busy when I'm in there. I don't really have a favorite supermarket, but that's semi convenient for me.

One thing I do notice about Bakers is that the shops are so different. The one at Deerfield has the look and feel of a full service supermarket, lower ceiling, even the automated Nark-O-Matic perp detectors at the doors, but the one at 132nd and Maple looks more like a discount Bag-N-{whatever} place. Real industrial looking, open ceiling with ventilation stuff visible, no perp detectors, things like that.

One thing I actually like at Bakers is the self-service check-out. For me, anyway, it's faster and more convenient to do it myself than to have the checker do it. Only improvement I can see is where you could punch in a quantity of something and then scan 1 of them but I can see why they don't allow that.

Oh well ...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omababe wrote:One thing I do notice about Bakers is that the shops are so different. The one at Deerfield has the look and feel of a full service supermarket, lower ceiling, even the automated Nark-O-Matic perp detectors at the doors, but the one at 132nd and Maple looks more like a discount Bag-N-{whatever} place. Real industrial looking, open ceiling with ventilation stuff visible, no perp detectors, things like that.
They built Deerfield, then spring valley, then eagle run, then lakeside, then pepperwood.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Ive shopped at the Baker's on 90th and 132nd (Maple)and the service has always been good.

The Baker's at 132nd has had better prices than Hy Vee at 156th and Maple ever since it's opened.  

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

No longer a rumor...
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10311836
The Baker's at Brentwood Square, on the northwest corner of 84th Street and Giles Road, will close May 17, according to spokeswoman Sheila Lowrie.

Lowrie called the move "regrettable but necessary."

The shuttering of the grocery store at 8010 S. 84th St. will be the latest closing on the retail strip along 84th Street between Giles Road and Harrison Street.

With the former Wal-Mart building still empty after the chain moved to 72nd and Giles to open a Wal-Mart Supercenter, the Baker's closing will leave two empty anchor spaces in retail centers that are almost across the street from each other.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

La Vista' Baker's to close
La Vista Sun wrote:La Vista Mayor Doug Kindig hopes the Baker's space near 84th Street and Giles Road won't be vacant for long. Kindig said the city was fortunate that the transition from Gordmans to Steve & Barry's occurred quickly. "It didn't sit empty very long," he said, "and my hope would be that Baker's store does fill up very quickly." Hobby Lobby, the largest store remaining in the Brentwood Crossing strip mall, on the east side of 84th Street just north of Giles Road, has told Kindig that it plans to stay, he said.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I heard from a co-worker that the Baker's @ 155th & Dodge is set to close.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

bbinks wrote:I heard from a co-worker that the Baker's @ 155th & Dodge is set to close.
Really? Pepperwood? That just seems outrageous....
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

They have invested a ton into that store.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Axel wrote:Really? Pepperwood? That just seems outrageous....
I'm usually in that shop every week or so. I'll ask to see what they say next time I'm in.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

I was reading the thread and what (bad) things were said about Baker's. Yes, a few years ago it sucked and made other stores look better by comparison, but when I went into Baker's recently I was impressed. Typically I would visit the 168th and Center location because it's close and they have a good salad bar/Chinese food. It seems that they either reinvented themselves over time or this is just a really good store. Never had a problem with the Pepperwood one either, though I wouldn't think location would be a big deal.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I didn't hear about Pepperwood, but I did hear the one in Millard at Deerfield is closing.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Brad wrote:I didn't hear about Pepperwood, but I did hear the one in Millard at Deerfield is closing.
Another huge hit to that shopping center (lost the DMV, Walgreens and now Bakers).  I am guessing the new Hy Vee was the final nail in a very dated store.  I hope something else pops up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Drove by the other day, its already closed!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:Drove by the other day, its already closed!
Yes, Baker's Deerfield has been closed since October 1st. Is the shopping center still for sale?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

What is the deal with Bakers stores?  My parents and their neighbors live in the general area, used to shop there all the time, and now they drive right past it to go to stores on 144th.  

I realize that they can't shop there now, but they quit several years ago, and that building isn't that old, the store has some access issues, but so do a lot of stores in that part of Millard.  

I would be interested in hearing the inside scoop on that place.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Assume you mean dearfield?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Assume you mean dearfield?
Yes, Deerfield.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Hy-Vee and Baker's basically switched spots in the past 10-15 years.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum