Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Omaha CVS Discussion

Post by Brad »

Omaha CVS Discussion

CVS plans pharmacy in Omaha

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10300105
JOHN KEENAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A CVS Pharmacy will open at the north end of the former Baker's Supermarket site, 72nd and Blondo Streets, according to PDM Inc., an Omaha-based real estate development and property management company.

It would be the first Omaha location for the nationwide pharmacy retailer.

"CVS is a terrific retailer," said Jeff Keating of PDM. "The fact that they will be new to the Omaha market creates some excitement."

Restaurants, medical offices, financial institutions and retail stores are prospects for the remainder of the property, Keating said.

The redevelopment will include the demolition of the former Baker's building and removal of all existing site improvements. The Baker's at 72nd and Blondo closed in December 2004.
Last edited by Brad on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

this is great for the last 2 years ive wanted something in the building anything really ... and this is a good catch too and i think it will do great in that location
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Oh really?

Is Walgreens now gonna have some real competition in Omaha?

Not that I don't like Walgreens, I do, actually. It just seems like there's a whole LOT of them, and not much of anybody else!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omababe wrote:Oh really?

Is Walgreens now gonna have some real competition in Omaha?

Not that I don't like Walgreens, I do, actually. It just seems like there's a whole LOT of them, and not much of anybody else!
I read somewhere that they build that many in a market without CVS to try to keep CVS out.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Vegas is loaded with CVS's and let me tell you that CVS looks practically like Walgreen's, and the stuff they have inside is much like walgreen's..

I swear their blueprints are shared!
theurge
Home Owners Association

Post by theurge »

This is awesome news, I've been waiting for a CVS to open here.  There are some great deals to be had with their rewards program.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

CVS appears to be dead at this location due to difficulties in finalizing a contract with the existing owners.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

There are several potential other CVS locations still active, one may land on the NE corner of 84th and W Dodge in a redevelopment of that parcel.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

cdub...are they going to tear down the little retail building where Cricket is for this?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I dont know where cricket is off hand but the building on the corner that fronts the street is likely a goner.  We call it the honeybaked ham building but I think that was an original tenant that may not be there now.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Yep, that is the building. That is interesting, that building wasn't built to long ago.
theurge
Home Owners Association

Post by theurge »

If they do end up opening a store, there are some awesome deals to be had if you know how to play CVS's reward program right:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread ... 6&t=676935
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

What's the real win for CVS to move into this market anyways, Omaha already has a Walgreens on every other corner. How does the CVS in Lincoln do? I am just surprised they are wanting to move to this area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Someone once told me that Walgreen's built on every corner to try to keep CVS out of the Omaha Market.  They said that they will over saturate markets without CVS in them.
pseudoprometheus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pseudoprometheus »

Does this mean we may actually see the number of Walgreens' in Omaha recede to a reasonable number?  Shocking.  :;):

Or do you suppose Walgreen's will still try to saturate the market in hopes that CVS won't be able to survive?
... wait, what?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Is CVS still coming?  I understand the deal fell through on 72nd but there does not seem to be any movement on other sites either?

Greg
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Oh their moving...  The one at Timberlodge should be going strong very soon.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

They now have about 10 different sites they are considering.  My guess is that they don't intend to use every one but want to study each and place a few stores at the ones they can make work the easiest.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

CVS ready to take first step into Omaha area
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The pharmacy chain, based in Woonsocket, R.I., plans to open a store in summer 2010 at the northwest corner of 144th Street and West Maple Road, said CVS spokesman Mike DeAngelis. In April 2008, Jeff Keating, vice president of local property management firm PDM Inc., said CVS planned a store at the former Baker's Supermarket at 72nd and Blondo Streets. CVS late last year decided otherwise but didn't explain its decision, he said.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This is pure speculation... But what if the management of no frills decided that would make a good location for one of their new fresh stores and closed the old no frills right down the street. That's the same management that is building at the square...
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

72ND and Blondo St. is one of the areas in town that could change for the good with not a lot of work.  You have historic Benson to the northeast, Dundee to the southeast, District 66 and Creighton Prep to the southwest and a decent area to the north west.   With the right development around this intersection things could flourish.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

CVS eyes Walgreens intersection

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090821/MONEY/708219970
WORLD-HERALD NEWS SERVICE wrote:CVS pharmacy is making a move to open in Bellevue, at a site across from a Walgreens drugstore.

The site is a vacant Krispy Kreme Doughnuts property at Galvin Road and Harlan Drive. The doughnut shop, which closed earlier this year, would be razed.

A rezoning request goes before the Bellevue Planning Commission at its monthly meeting next Thursday at Bellevue’s City Hall.

Four CVS pharmacies operate in the state but none in the Omaha area. Walgreens has 30 stores in the Omaha area, including two in Bellevue. Plans were announced earlier for CVS to open a store next summer at a corner of 144th Street and West Maple Road in Omaha.

Several properties at the northeast corner of 108th and Fort Streets — including a State Farm Insurance office and a Kwik Shop — are under sales contract with an out-of-state developer that plans to build a store for CVS, said a source who knows of the deal.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

The 108th & Fort Kwik Shop is no longer selling gas, and there are several construction dumpsters in the parking lot.  The dog groomer also has a moving notice painted in the window.    
Brad wrote:CVS eyes Walgreens intersection

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090821/MONEY/708219970
WORLD-HERALD NEWS SERVICE wrote:CVS pharmacy is making a move to open in Bellevue, at a site across from a Walgreens drugstore.

The site is a vacant Krispy Kreme Doughnuts property at Galvin Road and Harlan Drive. The doughnut shop, which closed earlier this year, would be razed.

A rezoning request goes before the Bellevue Planning Commission at its monthly meeting next Thursday at Bellevue’s City Hall.

Four CVS pharmacies operate in the state but none in the Omaha area. Walgreens has 30 stores in the Omaha area, including two in Bellevue. Plans were announced earlier for CVS to open a store next summer at a corner of 144th Street and West Maple Road in Omaha.

Several properties at the northeast corner of 108th and Fort Streets — including a State Farm Insurance office and a Kwik Shop — are under sales contract with an out-of-state developer that plans to build a store for CVS, said a source who knows of the deal.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

so does this mean that they are going to tear down the entire run down crappy looking building on 108th and Fort and build a nice new CVS? that would be awesome for the corner!!

-adam
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

CVS needs to open Downtown, or in Midtown Crossing!!!

I can't believe there's no "pharmacy" Downtown anymore. I find it ludicrous that the DT Walgreen's shut down right as the Downtown population was poised to explode. Really smart.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

By the end of the year Walgreen's will only have one store left (60th and NW Radial) without a drive through and the are looking to replace that too.

I believe they will be 100% free standing too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The buildings are coming down at 108th and Fort.

I heard the old Gas Station would be replaced by a CVS at 72nd and Maple.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

i just hope that the building design for these new cvs stores are a lot nicer than the bland looking walgreens that are everywhere but i kind of doubt it since the stores in bigger cities are fairly bland as well
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There is now a CVS sign up at 108th and Fort.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Woo Hoo!  Now, on to Rite Aid!
Hoop
Home Owners Association

Post by Hoop »

Any information on other possible Sarpy County locations besides Bellevue?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

They have been moving dirt recently and a sign is up at the old Timber Lodge Steakhouse  at 144th and maple
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The 72 and Maple location was on the last City Council Agenda.  They must have given up on the 72 and Blondo location.

Looks like the Gas Station, Corkey's Foreign Auto, and a few buildings will be demolished and this will take up an entire city block.  The PDF is horrible so I cant' post it.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I know Corky Sell... the guy who started that VW shop.  He sold the business off to former employees, but he still owns the land... hopefully he'll make some money on this.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

the cvs on 108th and fort is really going up fast.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

So is the one at 144th and Maple
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

after living in a place that has a lot of cvs stores, I have decided that walgreens is better.  There are both within a few blocks of my apartment and I'd choose to go to walgreens over cvs.  To me it seems like WG has more selection and better prices, although upon first glance you wouldnt know what store you were in if you just walked in, they look the exact same!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

144th and Maple, 108th and Fort, 72nd and Maple, and Bellevue.  Any more?

It's going they are coming now, we need the construction jobs in Omaha.

Greg
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Those are the only 4 that I have heard of.  It will be interesting to see if they well received.
where the corn meets the concrete
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So is it any coincidence that Walgreens is pursuing liquor licenses for all of its stores?  Responding to CVS or just trying to keep a step ahead?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.