84 Lumber closed

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

84 Lumber closed

Post by nebugeater »

In driving down West Center I have noticed for the last couple of weeks that the 84 Lumber has closed.  All the signs are down and the front doors / windows have plywood over them.  ( Wonder if they got it at Home Depot   :mrgreen: )  I do not remember seeing anything in the OWH and didn't find anything here.  

I know they had a store in Lincoln too.  I believe it was in S. Lincoln on maybe 33rd and Hwy 2.  Anyone know if it closed too?  I am not sure how long the Omaha location has been closed either.  

Wounder what will be next for this location.  I have always thought that there were access problems with this site.  Pay-less, 84 Lumber, or whatever.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
theurge
Home Owners Association

Post by theurge »

Wow I'm surprised it's stayed open even this long.  When Payless moved out of that location was around the time all the home improvement stores started popping up.  When I saw 84 Lumber move into that location I thought there was no way they were going to survive.  Every time I drove past that place it looked like a ghost town.  

Maybe they had a niche with contractors and home builders, but to me they really did not seem like a viable business.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought this was posted before?  I think it closed a few months ago.  If I remember right, Omaha was one of a number of locations that were closed.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I am fairly sure they were open say 6 weeks ago.  They were almost 100% contractor based in their business.  They do / did not rely heavily on the foot traffic through the door.  I was in there once or twice and it was really not meant for the home improvement person.  I believe they have a staff that was on the road dealing with contractors and scheduling deliveries to the job sites.  The store front, if you will served more as a warehouse than a store.

Didn't find any mention here when searching for 84 lumber unless someone was cryptic in their spelling.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Did a Google search and found this.  Based on this dateline they must have closed around Mar 24th / 25th.

http://www.km3news.com/Global/story.asp?S=8065928

And from this CACHE'ed story from the Lincoln paper it confirms my assumptions on the contractor business.  Sound like they will still serve the Omaha market, the Lincoln store will stay open, and their Omaha sales force will be supplied from there.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:g4 ... cd=6&gl=us

The closing of an 84 Lumber store in Omaha will mean more business and employees for the company’s Lincoln store.

84 Lumber, which caters to contractors and do-it-your-selfers, closed its store at 150th and West Center Road in Omaha on Monday, one of nine stores the company closed nationwide.

Jeff Nobers, a company spokesman, said that store’s business will be consolidated at the Lincoln store at 33rd and Nebraska 2, which has performed better than the one in Omaha.
Most 84 Lumber business is conducted in the field, Nobers said, with outside sales reps who spend little time in the store or office.   Customers seldom coming into the store and the company is not retail-focused, so multiple locations are not as important, he said
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Did a Google search and found this.  Based on this dateline they must have closed around Mar 24th / 25th.
That would have been when the forums were down.  I knew I remember reading it somewhere.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

That is a shame.  Home Depot, Menards & Lowes are decent for do-it-yourself people who really do not care one bit about quality.  However, if you want casing that is not warped and full of knots, hollow core doors that don't look like **** when stained, etc., they you need to go elsewhere.  Fortunately, we still have Builder's Supply and Millard Lumber.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Drove by the old 84 Lumber building last night.  I see that it has been painted very recently.  It is now all a tan / beige color rather than the dark 84 Lumber Blue.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There are signs on the front of this building as of last night that I had not seen before.  Just caught it driving by.  It says Roofing Supply Company - Omaha or something to that effect.