Gateway closes Omaha retail store

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Gateway closes Omaha retail store

Post by SychoBC »

I think it's only a matter of time before we end up seeing a Apple Store in omaha. They are very nice stores. This area needs one as the closest is in St. Louis.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

That's sad news about Gateway. Even though they moved the HQ to San Diego, they still have strong ties to Nebraska's 3rd largest metro. I hate to see them flounder.
LarryDavidSon
New to the Neighborhood

Post by LarryDavidSon »

edsas wrote:Even though they moved the HQ to San Diego, they still have strong ties to Nebraska's 3rd largest metro.
They're from the Sioux City area.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Right. And being that South Sioux City, NE is part of that metro, it's Nebraska's 3rd largest metro. :)
heineken
New to the Neighborhood

Gateway Closes Omaha Retail Store

Post by heineken »

Statistically it probably is. But it sounds sketchy to group the larger city into the smaller cities metro. I wonder if people from Iowa City boast about Council Bluffs being their first largest metro area.
LarryDavidSon
New to the Neighborhood

Post by LarryDavidSon »

edsas wrote:Right. And being that South Sioux City, NE is part of that metro, it's Nebraska's 3rd largest metro. :)
Wow...I would say this is quite a stretch.

Although there was an Adidas "This is Nebraska" billboard in Sioux City for a while. Needless to say, it ruffled some feathers.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

No big deal folks... let it slide.

"I say tomato... you say tomato." (oops... guess that doesn't work in this medium).
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I'll let it slide, Jeff. I just feel a need to explain myself briefly...

Hey guys,

I didn't mean any offense by remark and I did intend for it to be taken with a grain of salt. Irony, of course, is hard to interpret over a message board.

Anyway, yes, I know Sioux City belongs to Iowa. It is by far the dominant city of the metro. It is for all intents and purposes the Sioux City, IOWA metropolitan area. I don't claim it's not. But ask the 18,000 residents of Dakota County if they live in a metro area, they will say yes. Ask them if they consider themselves Nebraskans, they will also say yes. As Nebraska has no other metropolitan areas other than Omaha and Lincoln, the Sioux City area is Nebraska's third largest metro BY VIRTUE of having a large Iowa city across the river and INDEPENDENT OF the fact that it is a predominantly Iowan metropolitan area. That's all I'm saying. It's the same as people in New Jersey saying that the New York metro is their largest metro and Philadelphia is their second largest.

At anyrate, I'm sorry to see Gateway flounder. It's a blow to a metro area that has a relationship to Nebraska.

For the record, isn't Gateway located in the South Dakota section of the Sioux City metro?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Gateway's headquarters was originally in the South Dakota part of the metro (not sure if it was actually in North Sioux City or not).

I wasn't aware that South Sioux City, NE is actually more populous than North Sioux City, SD.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Yeah, Gateway got it's start in a town near Sioux City, Iowa, but had headquarters/manufacturing operations in Dakota Dunes, SD. This is where much of the the Sioux City MSA's growth has come from in recent years.

Also, isn't the tri-cities of Nebraska officially an MSA now? The population is above the 50,000 people threshold, but I don't know if the commuter standards meet the criteria since they're so spaced out.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

I'll correct myself. It looks like the Tri-cities is a conglomration of micropolitan areas that form a CSA instead.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Hey Ryan, it's good to have you back on this board. You seemed to go MIA for awhile.

As I grew up in Grand Island, the moment it becomes an offical metro area, I will not let anybody forget. :P Grand Island became an offical micropolitan area last year which includes Hall and Hamilton counties with about 61,000 people.

The combined counties of the tri-cities (Hall, Buffalo and Adams) equals 125,000 btw. I always thought they should invest in a nice regional airport located in the center of the triangle. (Far enough away from the sandhill cranes, of course.)
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

In response to LarryDavidSon's suggestion in his last post here... I've created a Nebraska and Regional forum category (and moved his post there to kick it off).
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Great idea!

Finally, a place to post regular Lincoln developments.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Thanks for the welcome back edsas. I tend to go MIA quite a bit anymore on this forum and SSP. Unfortunately, I don't have the same amount of free time as I used to.

I too think the new subforum is a great addition.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

To clarify:

Actually, to qualify for metropolitan status, a metro area's central city has to have a population exceeding 50,000; or a metro area's central county has to have a population exceeding 100,000.
sokkerdewd
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I was aware that the core city had to be above 50,000, but I'd never heard that central county statistic. There must be exceptions to that, right? I can see it being true in the east where the counties are small in land area.

Using Sarpy County as an example; Imagine if it were in Central Nebraska, not next door to Omaha. The largest city is under 50,000, but the total population adds up to 120,000. All crammed into less than 300 square miles. Clearly this is an urban county, so it's seems you'd want to call it a metropolitan area.

But what about counties out west? The ones in Nevada, Arizona and California in particular are gigantic. Should a county with 10,000 sq miles, 100,000 people, but no city over 50,000 be considered a metropolitan area? I don't think so.

BTW sokkerdewd, I'm not saying you statistic isn't true. I'm just wondering if such counties are considered on a case by case basis.

Incidentally, Grand Island has about 43,000 people so they're slowly but surely inching their way to metro status. Attract just one new large-scale employer to the city and their in.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Re: Gateway Closes Omaha Retail Store

Post by guy4omaha »

heineken wrote: I wonder if people from Iowa City boast about Council Bluffs being their first largest metro area.
Back when Terry Branstad was governor (I was living in Iowa then), he not infrequently referred to Council Bluffs as part of Iowa's largest metro. In fact Branstad on more than one occasion crossed the river in efforts to recruit economic development to the Iowa side of the metro.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

Hey Edsas:

I actually have a list that I obtained somewhere on the Census Bureau's website. Scrolling through it, the first such county I found with the 100,000+ mark but no central city over 50,000 was the Auburn-Opelika, Alabama metro (Lee County)...I'm sure there are many more, but I thought one would suffice. But yes, those numbers are the qualifications...and to my knowledge, they are not considered on a case by case basis.

Fun one: the Benton Harbor, Michigan metro county (Berrien County) has over 160,000, but Benton Harbor, the central city of the metro has only 11,000 people.
sokkerdewd