Omaha Area McDonalds

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
They did that with a Taco Bell here and I swear they got the new one open over night...it was like they trucked the new one in.
Most fast food places are cookie cutter floor plans. It doesn't take much to build one.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Just wait for the new triple drive thru rings the new place.  Awesome!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

cdub wrote:Just wait for the new triple drive thru rings the new place.  Awesome!
Sweet. Now we can get people fatter 3 times faster!  :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So does anyone know the real story with this McDonald's?

I drove by when heading to the Baseball Stadium last night and they drove sheet pilings and have dug a huge hole?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Brad wrote:So does anyone know the real story with this McDonald's?

I drove by when heading to the Baseball Stadium last night and they drove sheet pilings and have dug a huge hole?
It has been knocked down.  It will be rebuilt.  Better, stronger, faster, and with a coffee bar, woohoo.

(it will look better than before and hold the corner)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Whats with the big hole?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That McDonalds looks about as good as it gets as far as fast food buildings go.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:That McDonalds looks about as good as it gets as far as fast food buildings go.
Does it have a drive through?  Looks like the building is right up against the street?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:That McDonalds looks about as good as it gets as far as fast food buildings go.
Does it have a drive through?  Looks like the building is right up against the street?
Of course it has a drive-thru. You wouldn't expect people to actually participate in obtaining their Big Mac now would you?? I believe it's all moved to the back (as things tend to do with McD's food) and rearranged to improve traffic flow.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

North downtown McDonald's gets an extreme makeover
Leia Mendoza, World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:The one-lane drive-through that could hold only three cars now has two lanes that can hold up to 16 vehicles.

The site plan met Omaha By Design standards. The new building is close to the street and pedestrian-friendly and the parking lot is in the back and less visible from Cuming Street.

“We are right on the sidewalk because the city wants customers to be able to walk right in,” Hobley said. “Parking is in the back since that's less attractive.”

Nothing from the old restaurant exists, Hobley said. The restaurant is the first in the Midwest to have digital menu boards that change and show larger views of products. Employees no longer have to climb ladders to change menu items. That's all done on a computer.

The kitchen is also larger and improved with “high-tech” equipment to improve speed and efficiency. For example, a machine automatically refills the frying oil. Before, an employee would have to manually put oil in the fryer.

It's also one of the only area McDonald's with a basement. The basement was added as part of the renovation so the kitchen could be larger, moving the storage area to the basement.

For heavy boxes, a conveyor belt is used, but employees frequently run up and down stairs when they need products.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I got to give the devil their due.  McDonald's realized about 5 years ago that they had to modernize to compete as much with Starbucks and Panera type restaurants as they did with BK and Wendy's.  So they have been completely revamping their restaurants.  As in tearing the old units down and building all new, from scratch.  There is a night and day difference when you walk in the door compared with the old Golden Arches.  I am no longer embarrassed to eat there.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

nativeomahan wrote:I got to give the devil their due.  McDonald's realized about 5 years ago that they had to modernize to compete as much with Starbucks and Panera type restaurants as they did with BK and Wendy's.  So they have been completely revamping their restaurants.  As in tearing the old units down and building all new, from scratch.  There is a night and day difference when you walk in the door compared with the old Golden Arches.  I am no longer embarrassed to eat there.
Has their food quality changed though?   If its the same quality food, than the modern makeover will not make me go back.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Would of been nice if they put their two floor concept in this location.

From what I have read the top floor is designed to be "adult friendly."  Could of seen it being used by some CU students.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lol, the McDonald's on 76th and Dodge is "Remodeling"  They only left the front and back walls so they didn't need to meet some sort of new building codes.  The windows, Door, Roof, everything gone except two brick walls.  I need to get a photo of it.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:Lol, the McDonald's on 76th and Dodge is "Remodeling"  They only left the front and back walls so they didn't need to meet some sort of new building codes.  The windows, Door, Roof, everything gone except two brick walls.  I need to get a photo of it.
I need to run to the Mart tonight, so I can try and get a photo if you can't. When I drove past there a week or so ago, I figured it would be a complete demo and rebuild. I guess it still is for the most part.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:Lol, the McDonald's on 76th and Dodge is "Remodeling"  They only left the front and back walls so they didn't need to meet some sort of new building codes.  The windows, Door, Roof, everything gone except two brick walls.  I need to get a photo of it.
I take Dodge St every day to work and it made me laugh when I saw that. I think they have one wall left...one heck of a remodel there! :P
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Bet that a remodel didn't trigger some things like setback changes that a total new build would ahave triggered....... to state the obvious
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I know they do it to get around building codes, but it would surprise me if it was the setback.  They are already +/-70 feet from the Right-of-way.  I am wondering if its some sort of green space requirement or something.

Its also in an "ACI" (Area of Civic Importance) area.

I am sure someone of this forum could answer better
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Could it be a zoning issue?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Here are a couple terrible cell phone pics. As you can see the entire restaurant is gone except the two walls and they are starting to frame.

1. Front wall

2. Back wall

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:I know they do it to get around building codes, but it would surprise me if it was the setback.  They are already +/-70 feet from the Right-of-way.  I am wondering if its some sort of green space requirement or something.

Its also in an "ACI" (Area of Civic Importance) area.

I am sure someone of this forum could answer better

Probably right if they are that far back already.  I didn't have a mental picture of them being that far back.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

The McDonald's renovation in CB on the South Expressway is done. They didn't go nearly as bare bones as the dodge location and don't believe they closed for even one day
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

In regards to the 76th & Dodge location --

Did they tear out the flooring and redirect plumbing or just use what has been there for over 30 years?  

I recall the story behind why this location was built.  The franchisee of the store that was on the north side of dodge, but further west (now the veterinary clinic --  look at the roof design -- clearly has the McD facade) owned the building and land, so when his franchise was revoked, the McD corp had to find a new location.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

bbinks wrote:In regards to the 76th & Dodge location --

Did they tear out the flooring and redirect plumbing or just use what has been there for over 30 years?  

I recall the story behind why this location was built.  The franchisee of the store that was on the north side of dodge, but further west (now the veterinary clinic --  look at the roof design -- clearly has the McD facade) owned the building and land, so when his franchise was revoked, the McD corp had to find a new location.
When I drove by, there was a Bobcat driving around on dirt in between the two walls, so I assume everything's been torn out. Except the two walls of course.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote:I recall the story behind why this location was built.  The franchisee of the store that was on the north side of dodge, but further west (now the veterinary clinic --  look at the roof design -- clearly has the McD facade) owned the building and land, so when his franchise was revoked, the McD corp had to find a new location.
We use to take our dog there...  My dad called it "McVet"
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

So does any really like the new design / look of the "improved" McD?  I go to one at noon about once every three weeks or so.  I for one hate the nex design.  When the one at 13th & I 80 was compelted I basicly stopped going there.  Same for the one in Bellview near Menards.  and now the one in CB mentioed above.

Seating, not comfortable at all.
Hate the Stools with no backs
Seems like less seating overall.
Layout stinks with wasted space.  

I know they are trying to go more upscale but THAT IS NOT WHAT THEY ARE.  If I want that I will go elswhere.