Shopko

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Dreamer
New to the Neighborhood

Shopko

Post by Dreamer »

Shopko on 84th Street is going  to be closing up by the end of the year or beginning of next year. They are building a new store in Council Bluffs and with the new Walmart opening up  on 72nd will kill most of their business soon anyways.
jtshaw
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jtshaw »

The ShopKo at 90th & Fort appears to be holding its own with the Wal-Mart SuperCenter at I-680 & Blair High Road.  ShopKo invested a lot to renovate the store, and I find it a pleasant place to shop.  ShopKo's corporate management has--in my opinion--done a good job of adjusting the mix and quality of the chain's merchandise to distinguish their stores from Wal-Mart.  I suspect that the closure of the 84th Street ShopKo reflects the general malaise in retail as much as the 72nd Street Wal-Mart.  That said, competing with Wal-Mart is not for the faint of heart.
Dreamer
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Dreamer »

Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Well this probably is not going to help the newly remodel Fredrick Square

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&start=30

Dreamer
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Dreamer »

The landlord remodeled it to try and keep Shopko there but it  is a two year lease on it and that started last year so it is about up.They also cut all the hours at the stores starting opening up at 9am instead of 8 am and closing early.That really hurts the employees with being full time .Then they lose their benefits of health care.
They laid off all 3rd assistant managers,making the pharmacists work longer hours,cutting out full time people , cutting the smarter  District manager  and giving it to someone who they can pay less and I could go on and on.
There was a article on greenbaypressgazette on May 26th I think that they are $300 million in debt.I will have to search again on there to find it.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This news sucks.  I shop there about once a month.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Where did you hear this?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was asked to post this:
Trenton Magid, president of Coldwell Banker Commercial World Group and broker in charge of leasing Frederick Square wrote:Trenton Magid, president of Coldwell Banker Commercial World Group and broker in charge of leasing Frederick Square, talked with the Vice President of Real Estate at Shopko today.  Shopko signed a new multi-year lease which just started February 1, 2008.  According to the Shopko representative, they are “definitely not closing the store and people need to realize we need critical mass in the Omaha market.”  The new store in Council Bluffs will complement their other four stores.  When asked whether the new Wal-Mart on 72nd Street will affect the Frederick Square store, the Shopko rep responded that his store is on 84th Street and does not consider that store as direct competition.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Again, the old Saddlecreek Target location would seem to be a perfect spot for Shopko... I'm sure they would find many loyal new customers there.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Dreamer
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Dreamer »

Investors contest Shopko Sale.Six lawsuits allege deal falls short.

Investors have filed six lawsuits against Shopko Stores Inc. alleging a propsed #24-a-share deal to sell the retail chain shortchanging shareholders.Golder Hawn a minneapolis based private equity investment company has agreed to buy publicly traded Shopko for $24 a share or about $715 million for about 29.8 million shares.WITH THE ADDITION OF $330 MILLION IN DEBT Golder Hawn will assume the deal is worth just more than $1billion.The slae announced April 9th is expected to close by the end of July.
The lawsuits filed by minority shareholders ask that the sale be halted and want Shopko exec to re-evalute the deal and allow open bidding or an outside accounting of the company's assets.
According to documents filed in Brown County Court earlier this month four investment groups and two individuals claim former Shopko executives and the company making a bid for the stores and have crafted a deal that undervalues the real estate on which the company's stores sit.
Immediately after the announcement the company's shares trade $2 above the agreed upon price meaning that some investors were speculating a better deal would come along.Shopko shares traded under the SKO symbol on the New York Stock exchange closed at $24.16 on Thursday.
The lawsuits contend the deal all but rulws out other bids by requiring Shopko to pay Golder Hawn $27 million if it pulls out.Any other bidders for the retailer would be at a disadvantage because the Shopko officers who helped craft the deal had inside knowledge of the corporation's real estate holdings and their values the suits said.The pending deal alsp dictates that if Shopko does not receive any other offers the current bidders get to see the offers and have a right to make a matching offer.
Lawyers for the plaintiffs have asked Brown County Circuit Court- Judge Kendall Kelley to combine all six suits and that the court condsider making the case a class-action suit which would represent the interests of all shareholders who want to join the action.
A hearing is set for May 4th.
The plaintiffs allege Shopko owns the property and buildings for 116 of it's 140 stores with only 15 having mortages.The suit also says Shopko owns the property and buildings for 63 of it's subsidiary Pamida stores.
The investors allege the Shopko and Pamida stores as real estate are worth an estimated $1.15 biliion whichis $400 million more than the figures used in finincial figures.Calculating other figures in the equation such as equity and debt at least one of the suits allege the fairmarket price for the company is $34 a share .Another analyst from the same lawsuit estimated Shopko's worth at $31 a share.
Considering either figure and there are about 29.8 million shares of Shopko stock out standing that means the deal is undervalued between $208.6 million and $298 million.That's money that should go to the stockholders the suits allege.
The suits allege that Jack Eugster Shopko's former chairman of the board and other board members failed to negotiate the best deal possible for shareholders.
Shopko denies the allegations.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I guess we can now say that their is a rumor that Shopko is NOT closing the 84th St. store.  I hope that rumor is correct, although I note that they have not remodeled this store...whereas they have remodeled their other Omaha area stores.  And it is increasingly difficult to find anyone working a checkout lane at the 84th St. store.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha-based Pamida, Shopko to merge
Leia Mendoza WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Over the next year Pamida stores will be converted to the Shopko Hometown store format and will be rebranded as Shopko, officials said Wednesday. The resulting chain will have nearly 350 locations in 22 states.

The combined company, which will be headquartered in Green Bay, will be led by Shopko President, Chairman and CEO W. Paul Jones. Pamida President and CEO John Harlow will serve on the leadership team and help direct the integration process.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

This is a really dumb question but I thought they had already merged a few years ago?  Did that not happen?  

Greg
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Greg S wrote:This is a really dumb question but I thought they had already merged a few years ago?  Did that not happen?  

Greg
Pretty sure they did 10-12 years ago, but then they sold Pamida off (I think?).
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:This is a really dumb question but I thought they had already merged a few years ago?  Did that not happen?  

Greg
I believe that Pamada was bought by Shopko a few years ago but they continued to operate as separate business units.  Now as I read this they are bringing both units under one umbrella.  That being said this is from memory and may be wrong.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Yes and no.

Shopko and Pamida are both owned by Sun Capital, a private capita group. What they did before was try to merge operations but maintain two separate companies. This didn't work terribly well. I don't know a lot of details because this was before I joined Pamida in 2008. At that time they were just finishing up the separation, which had started about a year before that. For the last three years, Pamida has operated independently of Shopko, sharing only a few things like distribution centers.

What's happening now is that all Pamida stores will become Shopko stores. Pamida will cease to exist; this is scheduled for spring 2013. Also, the Pamida store Support Center on F Street will close. Shopko is recruiting and interviewing Pamida employees for positions in Shopko, but they mostly require relocation to Shopko's corporate office in Green Bay, Wisconsin. There is talk of keeping some employees here in Omaha, but nothing concrete yet.
Brad
City Council

Re: Shopko

Post by Brad »

All shopko stores in Omaha and Bellevue are closing when their leases expire. 84th and Center at the end of this year, followed by Bellevue, then Oakview at the end of next year.

The Shopko eyecare in the 84th and Center location is moving out to the parking lot in the bay next to Tacoville and Sprint and will be run as a freestanding location.

Shopko is going to focus on the small town stores.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Brad wrote:All shopko stores in Omaha and Bellevue are closing when their leases expire. 84th and Center at the end of this year, followed by Bellevue, then Oakview at the end of next year.

The Shopko eyecare in the 84th and Center location is moving out to the parking lot in the bay next to Tacoville and Sprint and will be run as a freestanding location.

Shopko is going to focus on the small town stores.
I can't say I'm surprised. There never seems to be very many people in the 84th and Center location when I've been there.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I had lunch at the Pizza Ranch today at 84th Center and afterwards I walked into Shopco to see take a quick look around. The place was dead and I didn't buy anything. As I was walking around I came upon a clerk stocking the shelves with Christmas items. :roll: This place is pretty overpriced and I really want to say good riddance but its still better then nothing.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Given the fact that the Stonybrook ShopCo is still vacant does not bode well for retail space. Maybe Fredericks Square can get a Sheplers... :roll:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree that Shopko looks pretty dead. I have visited the Bellevue location many times and with the exception around Christmas, the store is usually pretty vacant. I can say that they do have pretty good sales once in a while, but the everyday prices are a little steep for what they are.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great job Brad, beat the World Herald by 10 days on this news.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

skinzfan23 wrote:I agree that Shopko looks pretty dead. I have visited the Bellevue location many times and with the exception around Christmas, the store is usually pretty vacant. I can say that they do have pretty good sales once in a while, but the everyday prices are a little steep for what they are.

Problem with the sales, at least at the 90th location, is that they rarely had the items in stock.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

I dont believe Shopko is serious about restocking certain pieces of merchandise. My business is in gaming retail, and I bought the following locations out of stock on 3 Nintendo titles that they were selling for way too cheap, and they were never restocked, even though they are a hot item still.

144th Center
84th Center
Bellevue
Plattsmouth
Harlan, IA

I also happened to buy out the Falls City store on those games, but I never went back to check for restock because its like 3 hours away.
Jim Flowers rules!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Pretty funny seeing the Thanksgiving Day edition of the paper on the porch wrapped inside of a big Shopco Black Friday advertisement bag. I wonder I thought if this company would actually be incompetent enough to spend the money running that ad and then not even having a Shopco open in Omaha. IN short yes they are that stupid. The ad said the sale started Thursday at 5pm and as luck would have it I was driving past the 84th street store just about then. The parking lot was empty. This is why Shopco and Kmart are going out of business not because of Amazon or Walmart or anything else.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:I wonder I thought if this company would actually be incompetent enough to spend the money running that ad and then not even having a Shopco open in Omaha.
Apparently, you're not aware the location at 144th and West Center is still open, and was packed last night for the doorbuster sale.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

FirebirdEngineer wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:I wonder I thought if this company would actually be incompetent enough to spend the money running that ad and then not even having a Shopco open in Omaha.
Apparently, you're not aware the location at 144th and West Center is still open, and was packed last night for the doorbuster sale.
Facts, facts, facts. Is that all you've got? Facts? :P
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

NovakOmaha wrote:
FirebirdEngineer wrote:
Facts, facts, facts. Is that all you've got? Facts? ;P
I got an old buzzard from Detroit City trolling me. I got that for all its worth. :lol:
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
FirebirdEngineer wrote:
Facts, facts, facts. Is that all you've got? Facts? ;P
I got an old buzzard from Detroit City trolling me. I got that for all its worth. :lol:
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Shopko in Lincoln to close.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:02 pm Shopko in Lincoln to close.
AP wrote:Nebraska stores in Lincoln, Ord and Kimball are on the list of closures.
https://www.omaha.com/money/businesses/ ... 0e4b3.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:19 pm
Coyote wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:02 pm Shopko in Lincoln to close.
AP wrote:Nebraska stores in Lincoln, Ord and Kimball are on the list of closures.
https://www.omaha.com/money/businesses/ ... 0e4b3.html
That Ord location was built from the ground up and opened in 2016. Heck of a lifespan.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Lincoln has multiple Shopko location. IT is not in this story but I believe the only one to close is the one n N 27th. That will leave one on O Street near 60th or so and one in S lincoln for sure and maybe one other.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:20 pm Lincoln has multiple Shopko location. IT is not in this story but I believe the only one to close is the one n N 27th. That will leave one on O Street near 60th or so and one in S lincoln for sure and maybe one other.
Another Shopko related news article. It appears their location on 27th and Pine in Lincoln has in the works a part-demo, removing about 30k sq. ft. for a 20k sq. ft. separate "financial" building. The rest of the building will be divvied up for smaller retail spaces.

https://journalstar.com/business/local/ ... aea.html#1
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Saw a new article today where Shopco is declaiming bankruptcy. They are closing an additional 32 or was it 36 stores that locations are not yet anointed. Sorry. Can’t link the story right now. It was from the Fremont Ne newspaper that I saw it
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 pm Saw a new article today where Shopco is declaiming bankruptcy. They are closing an additional 32 or was it 36 stores that locations are not yet anointed. Sorry. Can’t link the story right now. It was from the Fremont Ne newspaper that I saw it
So, a few more big box retail spaces and a large distribution center opening up soon in the Metro. The Shopko by my house always seemed to be sparsely visited.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

The distribution center is not closing.
Go Cubs Go
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

The list of 38 closures include the Bellevue location all Lincoln stores.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Shopko - 4200 South 27th Street, Lincoln S, NE, 68502
Shopko - 601 Galvin Road South, Bellevue, NE, 68005
Shopko - 100 South 66th Street, Lincoln, NE, 68510
Shopko - 3400 North 27th Street, Lincoln, NE, 68521
Shopko - 6845 South 27th Street, Lincoln, NE, 68512

Here is the list for Ne
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

thenewguy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:49 pm The distribution center is not closing.
Doesn't it seem like it is an eventuality though? I just don't see Shopko surviving long term. It will be weird to have the distribution center so far removed from it's stores.

Greg