Starbucks Openings all over the metro

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I told you he was hopeless. Plus it's a bit hard to compete with the West O trust fund crowd.
DTO
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

the1wags wrote:Starbucks closing that right as the first stuff in Aksarben Village comes online. What a bunch of dumbasses.
[justify]

This breaks my heart.  I love having a Starbucks on the way to work, and their staff is awesome.  But I will save tons of money.[/justify]
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

annad wrote:
the1wags wrote:Starbucks closing that right as the first stuff in Aksarben Village comes online. What a bunch of dumbasses.
[justify]

This breaks my heart.  I love having a Starbucks on the way to work, and their staff is awesome.  But I will save tons of money.[/justify]
The Starbucks at 63rd and Center closing=

The definition of a short-sighted home office corporate decision..

Welcome Scooters to this locale shortly..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Definition of irony:

Kearney Starbucks closes, Scooters moves to town, Starbucks staff mostly all at Scooters now. What's the world coming to?
dandr1229
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dandr1229 »

gisbuxfan wrote:Definition of irony:

Kearney Starbucks closes, Scooters moves to town, Starbucks staff mostly all at Scooters now. What's the world coming to?
I like seeing Sccoters succeeding...  big corporate made decision to close and hometown business saw the unmet need and took the opportunity to expand.   Scooters has made a lot of progress in their business model this last 18 months - seem to be doing real well.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

gisbuxfan wrote:Definition of irony:

Exactly gisbuxfan..

I expect the same fate for 63rd and Center..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

The sad part for the Starbucks employees (partners) in Kearney and Fremont, etc. is they can't just move to another store without moving their life to another city. So, in the case of Kearney, I kind of expected it of anyone who wanted to stay in the coffee business. Well, it was either Scooters or go on with Target and work in the starbucks there.

I am sad about a few of the stores in Omaha, one of them was my store for about a year :(
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

gisbuxfan wrote:The sad part for the Starbucks employees (partners) in Kearney and Fremont, etc. is they can't just move to another store without moving their life to another city. So, in the case of Kearney, I kind of expected it of anyone who wanted to stay in the coffee business. Well, it was either Scooters or go on with Target and work in the starbucks there.

I am sad about a few of the stores in Omaha, one of them was my store for about a year :(
Serious question here:

How many people that don't own franchises are actually "in the coffee business"?  Are these positions more than glorified fast food positions or something?

I don't drink coffee and have literally never been inside a Starbucks.
Stable genius.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I would say its much better than fast food, I've worked fast food and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. As far as Starbucks, all stores are corporate. Well, unless there's a kiosk in a Target or Hy Vee or someplace like that, those are franchised by their "hosts". The coffee business allows the employee a little more pride in the product and better relationships with the customers. Personally, I was able to make many connections and long lasting relationships with people I served coffee to. The coffee shop and its "third place" atmosphere, which is what Starbucks aims for (meaning third place the avg. joe would feel comfortable, 3rd after home and work), creates a place where people just feel comfortable chatting even with complete strangers.

So, glorified fast food is one way you could put it, but I believe it goes far beyond that.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

gisbuxfan wrote:I would say its much better than fast food, I've worked fast food and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. As far as Starbucks, all stores are corporate. Well, unless there's a kiosk in a Target or Hy Vee or someplace like that, those are franchised by their "hosts". The coffee business allows the employee a little more pride in the product and better relationships with the customers. Personally, I was able to make many connections and long lasting relationships with people I served coffee to. The coffee shop and its "third place" atmosphere, which is what Starbucks aims for (meaning third place the avg. joe would feel comfortable, 3rd after home and work), creates a place where people just feel comfortable chatting even with complete strangers.

So, glorified fast food is one way you could put it, but I believe it goes far beyond that.
Very well stated..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't drink coffee and have literally never been inside a Starbucks.
I was never a coffee drinker either... but try a venti mocha frappuccino... and you may find yourself returning regularly.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

gisbuxfan wrote:I would say its much better than fast food, I've worked fast food and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. As far as Starbucks, all stores are corporate. Well, unless there's a kiosk in a Target or Hy Vee or someplace like that, those are franchised by their "hosts". The coffee business allows the employee a little more pride in the product and better relationships with the customers. Personally, I was able to make many connections and long lasting relationships with people I served coffee to. The coffee shop and its "third place" atmosphere, which is what Starbucks aims for (meaning third place the avg. joe would feel comfortable, 3rd after home and work), creates a place where people just feel comfortable chatting even with complete strangers.

If you are interesting in an outsiders take on being and insider ( If that is possible) pick up this book and give it a read.  It is a quick read and actually pretty entertaining and enlightening.  This guy spent a LOT of time doing the background for this book.  He applied for and got jobs at some NAME companies and writes on his insights of being a time clock employee and the hiring process at each.

The Places he writes about include Starbucks, UPS, Whole Foods, An Apple Store, Enterprise Rental Car, and The Gap.  

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

nebugeater wrote:The Places he writes about include Starbucks, UPS, Whole Foods, An Apple Store, Enterprise Rental Car, and The Gap.
Just from the places you mentioned I have worked for a few of them. I could probably relate to this guy. Thanks for the reccomendation!

Another thought about all the Sbux closings. Although a tough economy for many retailers, I am confident in Starbucks survival through all this due to the customer relationships I spoke of previously. The "regular customers" at most all of the locations wil make sure of this. I still love heading down to the one location out in GI, which I used to manage, and sit and still say hi to many of the people I got to know very well over a cup of coffee.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Starbucks reported yesterday that their income fell 97% in the past quarter.  Ouch!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

No they didn't. They reported their Net Profit was down 97% the past quarter, with a chunk of the difference coming from the costs of closing 600 stores. Even then, they still recorded a profit of $5.4 million.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I should have clarified my post.  But net income/profits being down 97% is just astoundingly bad news for this (or frankly any) company that is used to only reporting good news.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Driving throught Fremont tonight I saw, for the first time for me anyway, a banner sign on the Starbucks location that was open for waht seemed to be about 37 minutes.  The new sign said cooming soon... Scooters.  good for Scooters!
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

On that note, the Starbucks on 72nd and 370 might have been the only Starbucks saved from the 600 closings.  It was to close by the end of the year like the rest of them but as of now it's on "hold."   It was open on Christmas from 7am-2pm and it was packed at 1pm.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I am happy to update that it looks like Starbucks has survived the "recession" not without some losses though. Earnings are better then expected as of Q3. It will be interesting to see what happens this holiday season. Starbucks has been renowned for really building up the retail side of business (ie. mugs, coffee makers, packaged deals, etc.) but according to my local store, they are really cutting back this year on all that to save on costs. Actually, the store here in Grand Island is doing very well in sales.  

I can't wait for Pumpkin Spice! It's my favorite time of year!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

gisbuxfan wrote:I can't wait for Pumpkin Spice! It's my favorite time of year!

I agree

Speaking of Closings/openings... Apparently the Scooters that took over the AK village Starbucks is doing GREAT!
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

Brad wrote:

I agree

Speaking of Closings/openings... Apparently the Scooters that took over the AK village Starbucks is doing GREAT!
Good for them.  I'm glad something went in there and I'm glad a local business is doing well, but I'm still bitter about my Starbucks closing.
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

Brad wrote:

I agree

I should hope so.  It's my personal stimulus plan to keep Scooters, Crane, and Juice Stop in the black.
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Good for Scooters actually doing well in Aksarben. I still don't like there coffee.
Last edited by gisbuxfan on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Melissa wrote:
Brad wrote:

I agree

I should hope so.  It's my personal stimulus plan to keep Scooters, Crane, and Juice Stop in the black.
Speaking of Crane, I was just reading that they are planning to open a downtown location with a few new perks. Is this a new thing? I haven't been in dto for so long! Is Aroma's still open in downtown? They were one of my favorites outside of Sbux!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Re: Starbucks Closings

Post by ChadJK »

After closing a bunch of under-performing locations back in 2008ish it seems Starbucks is in full blown expansion mode. There are brand new standalone Starbucks near 84th & Giles and 72nd & L. The one in Elkhorn near 204th & Dodge is fairly new, IIRC. They also tried to build one in Gretna at Hwy 6/31 & Hwy 370 but were denied due to traffic concerns at that intersection.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:20 am After closing a bunch of under-performing locations back in 2008ish it seems Starbucks is in full blown expansion mode. There are brand new standalone Starbucks near 84th & Giles and 72nd & L. The one in Elkhorn near 204th & Dodge is fairly new, IIRC. They also tried to build one in Gretna at Hwy 6/31 & Hwy 370 but were denied due to traffic concerns at that intersection.
Wait for the 90th & Fort gridlock when that location opens. North or eastbound traffic can't access unless they turn around by FNBO or Runza.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

They needed to expand in Omaha for a LONG time. Most locations have lines down the street almost all day long.
#gohawks
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

buildomaha wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:48 pm They needed to expand in Omaha for a LONG time. Most locations have lines down the street almost all day long.
Yeah- they’ve been pretty aggressive in expanding in the Omaha area lately..

They just opened a new store in a new strip mall location on 192nd St off West Center Rd about a month or so ago as well…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Starbucks Openings all over the metro

Post by nebugeater »

The location they wanted to locate at in Gretna would have been a traffic disaster.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Another location is going up west of Children’s Hospital, on West Dodge.
This will make about 50 total locations in the metro area.

Time to rename this thread???
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nativeomahan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:59 pm Another location is going up west of Children’s Hospital, on West Dodge.

Yep- Freestanding store at 86th and Dodge..

Your rename request granted :thumb:
Go Cowboys!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

nativeomahan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:59 pm Another location is going up west of Children’s Hospital, on West Dodge.

50 locations! That’s nuts. How is the retail/restaurant industry handling the employee shortage?
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

gisbuxfan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 pm How is the retail/restaurant industry handling the employee shortage?
A lot of lot of restaurants are only half full. Some have cut hours. Bars that serve both food and drink are only opening their kitchen certain hours. They are making it work, but its certainly not good and probably not sustainable.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Brad wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:40 pm
gisbuxfan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 pm How is the retail/restaurant industry handling the employee shortage?
A lot of lot of restaurants are only half full. Some have cut hours. Bars that serve both food and drink are only opening their kitchen certain hours. They are making it work, but its certainly not good and probably not sustainable.
That’s my worry with new establishments opening.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I note a new Starbucks recently opened at 90th and Fort. The one at 86th and West Dodge seems close to opening.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New Starbucks North East Corner of 42nd & L Street

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ril/11.pdf
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Another *$, Giles at Southport, SW quadrant in front of the Embassy Suites. My wife will be happy because it is on my route home...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A bit off topic, but I was in Kearney recently and when their newest location is completed this summer there will be 5 Starbucks in Kearney.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nativeomahan wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:51 pm A bit off topic, but I was in Kearney recently and when their newest location is completed this summer there will be 5 Starbucks in Kearney.
5 Starbucks in Kearney? That seems a bit heavy handed..but good for them. I know there are a healthy number of students there due to the University. I suspect that is one of (if not the) main drivers of that 5 number…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

No idea. The newest one will be within about a mile of the main Kearney I-80 interchange. I’ve always been surprised why Kearney and Grand Island didn’t have one right off the Interstate. If I recall North Platte and York have had them there for over a decade.