News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Office Depot / Office Max

Post by Brad »

Office Depot closing stores

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10510425
www.omaha.com wrote:Office Depot Inc., the world’s second-largest office-supplies retailer, said this morning it will close 112 underperforming locations in North America in the next three months and cut planned store openings to lower capital spending, according to Bloomberg News.

The Omaha area has four Office Depot locations, at 717 S. 72nd St., 2809 S. 125th Ave., 13770 West Maple Road and 8008 S. 84th St., at Brentwood Square in Papillion.
I bet the LaVista store closes.
Last edited by Brad on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNOstudent2
New to the Neighborhood

Post by UNOstudent2 »

A spokesperson from Office Depot said that no Nebraska locations will be closing.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10510425
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

UNO, were the admins unable to fix your old account?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:UNO, were the admins unable to fix your old account?
I think the Admin fixed it tonight.  I am assuming this forum is like other phpbb forums where if you change you email it deactivates your account and the admin needs to reset it.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

so i assume that means they aren't going forward with the new Council Bluffs store?
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

thenewguy wrote:so i assume that means they aren't going forward with the new Council Bluffs store?
I think that may be a fair assumption to make...
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Office Depot, OfficeMax agree to merge

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130220/M ... e-to-merge
Omaha World-Herald wrote:Analyst say if the deal closes it could likely benefit the largest office supply player, Staples Inc., because the combined entity will likely close stores.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Office Depot, OfficeMax agree to merge

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130220/M ... e-to-merge
Omaha World-Herald wrote:Analyst say if the deal closes it could likely benefit the largest office supply player, Staples Inc., because the combined entity will likely close stores.

That is good.  Always had a hard tome keeping those two seperate by name!

So will the new name be Office Max Depot?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:That is good.  Always had a hard tome keeping those two seperate by name!

So will the new name be Office Max Depot?
Not sure, but wonder which store at 72 and Dodge will close...
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Office Depot / Office Max

Post by nebugeater »

Is now looks like Office Depot / Office Max will now be bought by Staples.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/staples-agr ... 1423051654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Staples Agrees to Buy Office Depot
Staples Inc. agreed to buy Office Depot Inc. for $6.3 billion, taking a major step toward consolidating the retail market for pens, paper and other office supplies.

Under the deal, Office Depot shareholders will swap each share for $7.25 in cash and 0.2188 Staples shares. The deal values Office Depot at $11 a share, a premium of 44% over the closing price of Office Depot shares as of Feb. 2, when The Wall Street Journal reported the talks.

Together, the two companies have roughly 4,000 stores and on Wednesday projected annual sales of more than $39 billion. A combination of the two likely would get a close look from antitrust regulators, who in 1997 sued successfully to block the same proposed merger, bankers and analysts have said.

But some analysts say the retail landscape has changed sufficiently since then, citing the rise of online retailers like Amazon.com Inc. and increased competition from big-box chains like Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Target Corp. , which all sell office supplies now, too.

Staples said Wednesday that it has been in talks to buy Office Depot since September and expects the deal to close by year’s end. Staples sees the deal resulting in about $1 billion in synergies by the third full year after closing from cuts in head count, general and administrative expenses, and supply chain costs.

Once this is complete you will have more places to get an EASY button.... or maybe not?

advcomp2019
Home Owners Association

Post by advcomp2019 »

I just posted this in the Staples 78th and Dodge thread too.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

advcomp2019 wrote:I just posted this in the Staples 78th and Dodge thread too.
But I did it first!!!! :;):

Good place for it too.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I wonder if the Office Max store at 6940 Dodge St is on the way out.
I went there today to buy a new office chair advertised as on sale in the paper today. They had the char assembled and everything just as I wanted it ( but are not allowed to sell the display). I wanted it put together and the kid said no problem and disappeared into the back for a while. Long story short they did not have it in stock and can no longer get merchandise delivered to the store. So he sent me to another location because apparently I can't buy it there.

Updated.
Well guess it may not be closing after all. the store going out of business on N. 72nd is relocating all the unsold stock to this store. and until they do they just are not ordering in new stock. Sounds logical.