News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Cost Plus World Markets closing three Omaha stores

Post by Brad »

Cost Plus World Markets closing three Omaha stores

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10533445
STEVE JORDON WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Cost Plus World Markets is closing its three Omaha stores, part of a 26-store cutback by the Oakland, Calif., import retailer, according to a report today.

An official with the store chain, who commented on condition of anonymity, said the closings would eliminate jobs for about 60 or 70 people who work at stores at78th Street and West Dodge Road, and Village Pointe and Shadow Lake shopping centers.

Omaha store officials referred questions to the company’s headquarters in Oakland, which did immediately return calls. An official announcement was expected for later today.

The closings will leave the chain with 271 other locations. The Omaha stores are the chain’s only Nebraska locations.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I've never been in any of those but not good news.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:I've never been in any of those but not good news.
Decent place, it was kind of like pier one.  I bought wine glasses there once.  They also had a large wine and beer selection, which I don't remember if pier one has or not.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

That's two very prominent spaces at VP that are empty now.
Stable genius.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

This is unfortunate. I liked them quite a bit. They had some fun obscure things hidden in their stores.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I would liken it more to Big Lots... than Pier One.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I would beg to differ on that one Jeff. There would not be a single item in Cost Plus that you would find in Big Lots. I would actually put it above Pier One. This will be a loss for the city.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:I would liken it more to Big Lots... than Pier One.
Not sure about the others, but the one on 76th and Cass was not a big lots.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Apparently you have never been in one.  Big Lots and World Market are not even close.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
formeromahan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by formeromahan »

Does anyone know what other ones are closing? They are closing all the Minnesota ones. Does anyone know if the Sioux Falls one is staying open or closing?
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Big E wrote:That's two very prominent spaces at VP that are empty now.
I am hoping that Barnes and Noble catch on to the amazing location that are available in VP. Perfect location, automatic traffic. Plus, it's books! Yeah, two large and empty buildings for VP is not good. I think traffic is still really good up there. I was up there over Christmas and I was even in World Market (one of my favorite stores at VP) and it was pretty busy!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Forgive me... but I've been into the one at VP many times... looked like overstock junk to me.  Okay, I'll call it the "Costco of overstock stores".
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

I'm really sad about World Market closing.  I bought my dishes there, as well as a few pieces of furniture, lots of jewelry, European food/chocolate, home decor, and most of my friends' birthday gifts.  It's definitely more like Pier One than Big Lots, but they had great food, beer, and wine (Pier One does not).
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Dam*n, I hope the one near me doesn't close, it's the only place I know that carries Orval Trappist Ale.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:Forgive me... but I've been into the one at VP many times... looked like overstock junk to me.  Okay, I'll call it the "Costco of overstock stores".

Your Forgiven......  One question, why did you keep going back many times if all you saw was junk?   :;):
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I take it you're not married?  :)
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Stargazer wrote:I take it you're not married?  :)
We got our kitchen table there.  My wife saw a very similar item at Restoration Hardware for I believe 5 times the price.  The one we got at World Market has a solid pine top and came with six chairs.  It has withstood all the abuse our now 7 year old son and 9 year old daughter have thrown at it and came through with zero defects or cracks.  Oh and the one at Restoration hardware came with no chairs.  It was a very good deal and its a well designed and built set.

We also got my father a great fathers day gift.  A basket with BBQ sauces, mustards and salsas.  It was a lot of fun to shop for all of the different things and he really liked them.  

I found World Market to be an interesting store and the variety of items always intrigued me.  I really don't consider it a "Costco" anything.  As to Pier One, maybe, but it was different enough and the prices were very reasonable.  

Sad to see it go.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:I take it you're not married?  :)
Married with a 15 & 9 yr old.  Both Girls.  Interesting at home some times!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, I've got a (just turned) 21 year old, 18 year old, and 13 year old... been there done that... but apparently you've never been dragged to a store you didn't want to go to?  :P
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:Yeah, I've got a (just turned) 21 year old, 18 year old, and 13 year old... been there done that... but apparently you've never been dragged to a store you didn't want to go to?  :P

I guess we know who is whipped!!!!      :yes:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I purchased a very nice slate coffee table from the VP store:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I really liked World Market stores, and would often buy Christmas gifts for all the ladies in the office there.  Fun foods and chocolates, candles, other stocking stuffers.  They have a nice selection of off beat, world foods...Indian, Thai, etc.  And their wine selection was fairly priced and had wines from all over the world, including Africa (before anyone else in town carried them).  I will miss these stores a lot!  One more reason to go to DSM now, as they get to keep their stores open.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

for formeromahan

Sioux Falls dodges World Market closings
Strong performance helps store avoid being one of 26 shut down

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2009 ... 30333/1003
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Then you either have not been to Big Lots or World Market.  The two are not remotely the same except that they each sell stuff.  Big lots is like a flea market of mostly |expletive| at prices that aren't really that god considering that its |expletive|.  WM had a nice selection of pretty good to very good stuff and a wide variety of unique items and styles that you wouldn't generally find around Omaha.

edit:
I see you've already been reprimanded  :)

A loss for the city indeed.
formeromahan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by formeromahan »

Thanks Uffda I appreciate it!
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

I about had a heart attack when I read this thread.  I love this store for food items that are hard to find.  I'm relieved our store isn't one that is closing.

It appears that they shuttering markets that have multiple locations.  I'm especially shocked at the three large markets being shuttered, including Minneapolis, Memphis and Cincinnati.  I'm sure all of these markets could support a couple of stores (and Omaha at least one).
COST PLUS, INC. PROVIDES DETAIL ON PLAN TO CLOSE 26 STORES AND EXIT EIGHT MEDIA MARKETS

Oakland, CA -- January 9, 2009 -- Cost Plus, Inc. (Nasdaq: CPWM) today provided detail on the plan to close 26 stores and exit eight media markets. Upon completion of its plan to rationalize operations, Cost Plus will operate 270 stores in 98 markets covering 30 states.

The eight media markets the Company plans to exit include: Cincinnati OH, Fort Lauderdale FL, Fort Wayne IN, Memphis TN, Minneapolis-St. Paul MN, Rochester MN, Omaha NE, and Rockford IL.

Individual stores to be closed include: Mesa (1349 Alma School Road Mesa, AZ), Ontario (4421 Mills Circle Ontario, CA), Vallejo (105 Plaza Drive Vallejo, CA), Pembroke Pines (11960 Pines Boulevard Pembroke Pines, FL), Stonecrest (8140 Mall Parkway Lithonia, GA), Fayetteville (240 Pavilion Parkway Fayetteville, GA), Hoffman Estates (2780 Sutton Road Hoffman Estates, IL), Rockford (6650 East State Street Rockford, IL), Fort Wayne (4310 Coldwater Road Fort Wayne, IN), Germantown (20904 Frederick Road Germantown, MD), Bloomington (4250 West 78th Street Bloomington, MN), Maple Grove (12209 Elm Creek Blvd Maple Grove, MN), Minnetonka (11240 Wayzata Blvd. Minnetonka, MN), Rochester (1200 16th Street SW Rochester, MN), Roseville (2401 Fairview Ave., North Roseville, MN), Woodbury (8268 Tamarack Village Woodbury, MN), Southaven (6535 Towne Center Crossing Southaven, MS), Omaha (201 North 78th Street Omaha, NE), Papillion (7549 Towne Centre Parkway Papillion, NE), West Omaha (17101 Davenport Street Omaha, NE), Western Hills (5555 Glenway Avenue Cincinnati, OH), Tri-County (11747 Princeton Pike Springdale, OH), Kenwood (8121 Montgomery Road Cincinnati, OH), Collierville (4600 Merchants Park Circle Collierville, TN), Market at Wolfcreek (2825 N. Germantown Parkway Memphis, TN) and Tysons Corner (2051 Chain Bridge Road Vienna, VA).

President and Chief Executive Officer Barry Feld said, "Closing underperforming stores allows Cost Plus to rationalize its operations and media markets in this challenging economic environment, and to take full advantage of better growth opportunities when the retail climate improves."

Customers that may be losing their local store can continue purchase goods from Cost Plus World Market through its online business, http://www.worldmarket.com.

Cost Plus, Inc. is a leading specialty retailer of casual home living and entertaining products. As of today, the Company operates 296 stores in 33 states.

Contact
Jane Baughman
Cost Plus, Inc.
(510) 808-9119
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

I went over the weekend and picked up a bunch of stuff... some of the deals are pretty good. I am sad to see this chain leave Omaha. They usually have a great wine selection, they have some pretty unique foods, and their furniture is good quality. Maybe in a couple of years they will return. I guess they didn't want to try leaving one store in our area to see how it would do if it were the only one.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like the 78th and Dodge location will be yet another Goodwill.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Brad wrote:Looks like the 78th and Dodge location will be yet another Goodwill.
Happy dance!