Sears closing in Bellevue

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Sears closing in Bellevue

Post by Greg S »

The OWH was a little slow on this one.  Sears had a store closing ad in Sunday's paper:

Sears closing Bellevue store

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10587934
www.omaha.com wrote:The closing date is tentatively scheduled for May 31, according to a corporate spokeswoman.

The store is currently holding a going-out-of-business sale.

A Sears spokeswoman said the store was being closed for "business reasons." There are no plans to close the Sears locations at Oak View Mall or Crossroads Mall, she added.
Greg
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

For some reason I thought they had closed years ago!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

You aren't the only one!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought it was closed too...  That area needs massive redevelopment!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Get rid of everything along Fort Crook road and have a LRT line from Offutt to DT and let it all redevelop along there. I think that was actually a plan they had talked about in Bellevue.
DTO
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:I thought it was closed too...  That area needs massive redevelopment!
Man, if they are closed who has been taking my money when I run over there from work?    :lol:
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Bernie Madoff.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Man, if they are closed who has been taking my money when I run over there from work?    :lol:
True, that is nice and close to your work.  Where will you go now?  I can't think of another Sears type store around?  Home Depot in Manaua? Menard's in Belevue?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Man, if they are closed who has been taking my money when I run over there from work?    :lol:
True, that is nice and close to your work.  Where will you go now?  I can't think of another Sears type store around?  Home Depot in Manaua? Menard's in Belevue?
We use mostly Craftsman for our non-powered hand tools for the entire maintenance staff and this has been handy.  CB is the nearest now as long as they are around.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stopped by Sears on my way home last night.  The place was packed unlike any normal day there I have ever seen.  Everyone is looking for a deal I guess, just weren't any to be found. Spent some talking to an employee that has helped me there a few times before.  This employee was part time and could live without the job but also had the opportunity to move to another location so I didn't gather that there was too much bitterness.  What I did learn though is that the store was and is profitable.  Until a few weeks ago there was no plans to close the store.  In fact Sears, at their cost, had plans to do a major remodel of the store this summer.  The lease on the building was due for renewal and the realty company that owns the building went after a major increase in rent.  Nothing could be negotiated and this ended up in the decision to close the store rather than invest in it by Sears.  It was this persons opinion that the property was of more value to the owner as a write off than a rent generating business.  The odds of something coming into this building are slim at best.  The employees learned of this three weeks ago after many weeks of being prepped for the disruption of a remodel this summer.  Again, all should be taken with a grain of salt coming from a Sears employee but I have to think a major portion of what I told is close to the truth.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There is plenty of vacant land around there, may be they can just move!
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

With Ameritrade leaving Southroads (and donating $50k to turn it back into retail) maybe they could move there?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Bosco55David wrote:With Ameritrade leaving Southroads (and donating $50k to turn it back into retail) maybe they could move there?

1)  Does anyone really think that Southroads will successfully be converted back to Retail?
2)  How far will $50K really go for that process if it was in fact a doable goal?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nebugeater wrote:2)  How far will $50K really go for that process if it was in fact a doable goal?
My guess is that's for marketing and/or subsidizing some leases.
Stable genius.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

nebugeater wrote:1)  Does anyone really think that Southroads will successfully be converted back to Retail?

Sure, why not?
2)  How far will $50K really go for that process if it was in fact a doable goal?
Depends on how much work needs to be done to the mall. From what I've been told, it's still in pretty good shape. [/quote]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:
nebugeater wrote:1)  Does anyone really think that Southroads will successfully be converted back to Retail?

Sure, why not?
I agree, it can be converted, it would look something like this at first:

Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

And you want to do the same thing to The Center mall.

Just saying.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:And you want to do the same thing to The Center mall.
Just saying.
Yes, if they don't keep them up, they need to go...

They both look like a dump on the outside which makes people not want to go in, therefor not retail.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Well the bulldozer is a bit sarcastic, however these two as well as crossroads need to think outside the box and not keep slapping another coat of paint on and hoping that retail comes knocking at the door.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:Well the bulldozer is a bit sarcastic, however these two as well as crossroads need to think outside the box and not keep slapping another coat of paint on and hoping that retail comes knocking at the door.
Agreed. If you check the very end of the Crossroads thread, I posted several ideas to get that mall up and running again.  :;):
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:Well the bulldozer is a bit sarcastic, however these two as well as crossroads need to think outside the box and not keep slapping another coat of paint on and hoping that retail comes knocking at the door.
Crossroads does not even believe in paint.  I was at Barnes & Noble last week and you can still see where the sign for Walgreen's used to be on the wall to the right of the entrance.  And Walgreen's has been gone for what? 10 years?.  That is about as low upkeep as they can get.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Sears has opened a store in the old DJ's Dugout location at 25th and Cornhusker in Bellevue.  It is a Sears Hometown Store.  No idea what that is having not seen that name on a store before but here is what the Sears web site says

Sears Hometown Stores is a unique retailing concept that combines the feel and exceptional customer service of a small community store with the wide assortment of tools, appliances, electronics and lawn & garden merchandise offered by Sears, Roebuck, and Co. stores. This unique format allows customers in small communities to have access to the great products and brands usually only found in Sears stores.