Baker's 132nd and Maple

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Baker's 132nd and Maple

Post by Greg S »

They have started a significant renovation of the store.  They are expanding into the area that has been closed off for years (where the restaurant used to be) and they've got the opposite corner in the back all torn up.  They have pictures up of what it's supposed to look like (seems just like the remodel of the one at 156th and Dodge).  I asked someone that worked there and she said they are adding a Starbucks and a Chinese restaurant.  With the slowdown of new builds any construction right now in town is a good thing.  This is supposed to last 6 months.

I'm wondering how long it will take for this thread to drop to the "Baker's used to be great" type of thread.

Greg
almighty_tuna
City Council

Re: Baker's 132nd and Maple

Post by almighty_tuna »

Greg S wrote:I'm wondering how long it will take for this thread to drop to the "Baker's used to be great" type of thread.
See, now you're just asking for it!  :lol:
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

I shop there every once in awhile, but the prices on some things are ridiculous. I normally go to Bag n Save on 108th and save $25 or so dollars per trip over what I would pay at Bakers. Then again the manager at Bakers knows what orzo, shallots and fresh mozzarella are. So, pick your poison.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's funny the Bag and Save at 156th and Blondo can be pricey compared to Baker's.  With the exception of their specials Hy Vee seems to be the priciest.  Baker's has done well lately on meat, milk, cereal and produce prices.  Some of their other items are high compared to SuperTarget though.  I hit both since they are so close to each other.  It will be nice to have expanded selections.  The meat counter currently at 132nd is small compared to Hy Vee and the Baker's at 156th and Dodge.

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Greg S wrote:It's funny the Bag and Save at 156th and Blondo can be pricey compared to Baker's.  With the exception of their specials Hy Vee seems to be the priciest.  Baker's has done well lately on meat, milk, cereal and produce prices.  Some of their other items are high compared to SuperTarget though.  I hit both since they are so close to each other.  It will be nice to have expanded selections.  The meat counter currently at 132nd is small compared to Hy Vee and the Baker's at 156th and Dodge.

Greg
I agree about Hy-Vee...at least at 156th & Maple.  Except for their Thursday/Saturday specials, Hy-Vee seems to have become the new Albertsons of west Omaha.  Bag and Save at 156th & Blondo is skitzoid on pricing; some things they are very reasonable on, and others, they're among the highest.  Bakers, for all the criticism, actually is pretty reasonable at 156th & Dodge.

One thing Bakers is weak on is their meat department.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I always remember that Baker's had the best meat department back when Baker's was still Baker's and the butchers cut everything fresh every morning, and ground all the beef in the store.  They use to have several butchers on duty, now your lucky to find one.
where the corn meets the concrete
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Remodel is done.  They did a great job.  They have a walk in wine area.  Lots more housewares type stuff, a Starbucks, chinese takeout (tried it and it's really good), a greatly expanded deli that includes a sushi bar home soups and large cheese area, an expanded pharmacy area, expanded organic section, and an expanded meat area.  The meat area is larger but still not any where near on par with Hy Vee though.  They also have some tables so you can eat the chinese there along with the other heated food from the deli.  A lot more take and bake stuff do.

Overall a great improvement.  Very similar but a little better than their 156th and Dodge store.

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

We live right by the Pepperwood Bakers, but my wife picked up Chinese on their grand opening special last night.  4 pints of entrees, rice, egg rolls, and drinks for $16.99.  We skipped the drinks because it was enough work to haul it all home, but it fed the three of us (wife, me, and 3 yr old daughter) with more than enough leftovers for another meal.  (And probably then some, but we'll need to make some more rice.)

Chinese was very good; I'd rate it above Hy-Vee in terms of quality.  Hopefully they'll bring Chinese takeout to their other deli's.
OUC
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OUC »

I go to all 3 stores for different reasons Hy-Vee 156Maple, Bakers 156 Dodge, Bag-n-Save 156 Blondo.

Bag-n-save, good quality meet. I wish they had a big meet counter like Hy-Vee.

Bakers, they seem to always have great deals on frozen entres.

Hy-Vee, beer. They have the best selections of beer in the area.