What Happened to Taco Johns??

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Zilla
Library Board

What Happened to Taco Johns??

Post by Zilla »

The Taco John's on 84th closed, and it looks like the one in Bellevue closed as well.  Anyone know what the reasons were?  I know the stretch along 84th has been dropping businesses alot but they always seemed to have traffic there.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Brad
City Council

Re: WTH Happened to Taco Johns??

Post by Brad »

Zilla wrote:The Taco John's on 84th closed, and it looks like the one in Bellevue closed as well.  Anyone know what the reasons were?  I know the stretch along 84th has been dropping businesses alot but they always seemed to have traffic there.
The one in Bellevue closed a long time ago.  I think right after Simmons sold them.

The one in Lavista closed about a month ago.  It was a complete dump.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

The place was always empty from what I've noticed. I'm sure they suffered the same fate as many others businesses in that area did. It's getting pretty bad now actually.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote: The one in Bellevue closed a long time ago.  I think right after Simmons sold them.

When did Simmonds sell the Taco Johns?  I knew he sold back his 70-something Burger Kings to BK Corp in 2008.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote:
Brad wrote: The one in Bellevue closed a long time ago.  I think right after Simmons sold them.

When did Simmonds sell the Taco Johns?  I knew he sold back his 70-something Burger Kings to BK Corp in 2008.
Not too long after that.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:
bbinks wrote:

Not too long after that.
Has he completely retired, or does he still have his Jimmy Johns?  His former(?) website is not active anymore. (srmmidwest.com).   When I moved here  in 1987 he had the BKs and a Le Peep on 114th & Dodge.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote:Has he completely retired, or does he still have his Jimmy Johns?  His former(?) website is not active anymore. (srmmidwest.com).   When I moved here  in 1987 he had the BKs and a Le Peep on 114th & Dodge.
I think his son has the Jimmy Johns.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

Brad wrote:The one in Lavista closed about a month ago.  It was a complete dump.
Agreed.  It was easily one of the worst fast food buildings I've seen.  *sigh* But I like Taco John's.  Oh well.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Zilla wrote:
Brad wrote:The one in Lavista closed about a month ago.  It was a complete dump.
Agreed.  It was easily one of the worst fast food buildings I've seen.  *sigh* But I like Taco John's.  Oh well.
Before the sale, they had completely ready to go plans for a Taco Johns at Southport right next to BK.
theurge
Home Owners Association

Post by theurge »

I drove by there the other day - the location on 84th Street is now a Mexican Resturaunt...
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

There really needs to be some new TJs around.  Its probably my favorite fast food joint and because there arent enough of them close by I don't get my fix.  I'm going to have to do some Google to refresh my memory as to where they still ARE!  :)

edit-
FWIW there are still apparently 10 in the Omaha area.
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

I have always been a fan of TJ since I lived in Sioux City. The Sioux City TJ used to have the option of adding a squirt of cherry to any drink for 10 cents. It was great. One of my favorite items is the apple grande which I can never find anymore. I know that the location in Missouri Valley has it. I asked the manager about it once and he said they tried to get rid of it, but there were many complaints so they brought it back. Does anyone know of other locations that have the apple grande in Omaha?