News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Qwest being bought by CenturyTel

Post by Brad »

Qwest being bought by CenturyTel

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100422/N ... centurytel
www.omaha.com wrote:NEW YORK (AP) — CenturyTel Inc. said Thursday that it will buy Qwest Communications International Inc. in a stock swap worth $10.6 billion, creating a telecommunications giant serving customers in 37 states.

The deal unites the third and fifth-largest telephone companies in the U.S. by number of traditional phone lines.

Together, they'll have about 18 million phone lines, but that number is expected to continue to shrink by about 10 percent per year as consumers chose to rely on their wireless phones or service from cable companies. The fourth-largest provider of landline phone service in the country, by the number of subscribers, is now cable company Comcast Corp.

The acquisition continues a trend of consolidation in a shrinking industry. Neither Qwest nor CenturyTel own wireless networks that can compensate for the loss of landlines, like AT&T and Verizon Communications Inc. do.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

In the article is says Qwest is the 5th largest and CenturyTel is the third so I guess we will have to wait and see.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Sounds like CenturyTel Center it wil be then.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Century Link sing went up on the old Qwest/Omaha World Herald Building yesterday.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New Sign:

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Wow, that looks incredibly lame compared to the old Qwest logo.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Has anyone else been seeing CenturyLink trucks all over the place?  It seems like they are running a lot of new cable before they enter the market.  I hope they can be a legitimate alternative to Cox.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I agree with Seth. It just seems to blend with the building. The Qwest... er... Clink....? Signage better not be as bland.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:Has anyone else been seeing CenturyLink trucks all over the place?  It seems like they are running a lot of new cable before they enter the market.  I hope they can be a legitimate alternative to Cox.
Qwest has a pretty extensive cable/fiber network in the Omaha area, just about anywhere you can order Cox services, you can order some level of a Qwest service - business or residential.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

S33 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Has anyone else been seeing CenturyLink trucks all over the place?  It seems like they are running a lot of new cable before they enter the market.  I hope they can be a legitimate alternative to Cox.
Qwest has a pretty extensive cable/fiber network in the Omaha area, just about anywhere you can order Cox services, you can order some level of a Qwest service - business or residential.
Yes you can get it almost anywhere, but that doesn't make it a viable competitor to Cox in Omaha.  In Omaha you have the choice of 3, 15, or 22 mbps Centurylink only offers 1.5 and 7 mbps.  They also don't have their own cable service which will always keep them second fiddle here.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Stayed with a friend in the Bronx with FIOS last year. That was fan-flipping-tastic...would definitely switch to that from Cox if the price was reasonable for the service.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

__
Last edited by S33 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

NovakOmaha wrote:  IF Centurylink does compete I'd look for a price and feature war possibly.
There won't be a price war because the products being offered aren't comparables. But you can be sure Cox will be dropping their pants.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Check this out. Sounds a lot like UVerse & Fios.

Post by NovakOmaha »

http://www.centurylink.com/shop/Iptv/di ... _113511766

This is very similar to what I have.  It looks like its just in Vegas for now but I'd bet its probably coming to Omaha at some point soon.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

thats it!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So would that get me regional Fox Sports channels?  That's the only thing I miss with Cox right now.  

And would this be available in Omaha in areas where Qwest isn't?
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

This would only be available anywhere CenturyLink has a managed fiber optic network present. I highly doubt regional fox sports channels will be available unless they are in the different markets in many different cities.

Prism in now available in 8 cities, Jefferson City and Columbia, MO being the closest.