Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Old photos

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:Just found this in the archives at work. Demolition of the old UP Shops is just about complete and grading for the convention center portion of the CentruyLink Center is underway which leads me to believe this was taken in the Spring of 2001. Looking South East. Photographer Unknown.
uprr-yards-survey-aerial.jpg

Nice

DO you have an arial that gives something close to the same perspective recently? Would be nice to see side by side.... or above / below I guess ;)
Like this?

Nope, needs to be a bit more to the right! :;):

Seriously though that is a great photo to compare. Pretty amazing transformation in that time isn't it.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sure is. Hard to believe they started building the clink 16 years go already.... Seems like just a couple years ago.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Love that comparison photo.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Didn't know how to get this all into one picture, but here is a panoramic photo from the 1910's. The amount of density where the Gene Leahy Mall is now is unbelievable. Wish we still had that. Here is the link showing the full picture:

http://content.omaha.com/media/maps/ps/ ... ornado.pdf

GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Here's one showing the density that once existed where GLM is now....
You can see the Specht building if you look closely just to the east of the large building with the upper two floors that are white (former Campbell's Soup building where Holland is now) Notice the Alvine building at 11th & Douglas had 4 floors before a fire. I believe the photo was taken from the old Woodmen of the World building.

And one showing how much it had thinned out right before it was cleared for GLM....
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

So my boyfriend surprised me with a canvas print of DT Omaha to help with my homesickness, but he didn't realize he got an older shot. I can see the Medical Arts building, Butternut is still standing, Norchem and Con*gra are still in Central Park Plaza, and I don't know if it's the angle or what, but 1200 Landmark might not even be there yet. Anyone wanna take a stab at what year this shot is from?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

RNcyanide wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:23 am Image

So my boyfriend surprised me with a canvas print of DT Omaha to help with my homesickness, but he didn't realize he got an older shot. I can see the Medical Arts building, Butternut is still standing, Norchem and Con*gra are still in Central Park Plaza, and I don't know if it's the angle or what, but 1200 Landmark might not even be there yet. Anyone wanna take a stab at what year this shot is from?
Correct me if I'm wrong but is Butternut even in this frame?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

No, the Butternut building was where the Corvina is now, just East of the 10th St bridge and north of the Durham.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:16 pm No, the Butternut building was where the Corvina is now, just East of the 10th St bridge and north of the Durham.
That's what I was thinking.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Yeah you're right, I for some reason thought it was the brick building to the far left.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This is basically the same angle, so I would say it was pre-landmark center (before 1990).

https://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com/photo/287/
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Funny, I've seen that shot of Omaha on big canvas print sites, and I wondered if the seller recognized that was an older shot.

Of course, the 1200 Landmark Center is not there yet, and judging by the size of the trees in the park, that is Omaha in about 1986-1987. I literally think "Omaha 1986" or "Omaha 1987" when I see that pic. It might even be 1988. (I've seen pictures of Omaha from that angle in 1982-1985, and the trees are tad smaller, and the park looks a little more open. That is definitely moving towards the years right before the Landmark Center was started & built around 1989.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

RockHarbor wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:22 pm

Funny, I've seen that shot of Omaha on big canvas print sites, and I wondered if the seller recognized that was an older shot.

Of course, the 1200 Landmark Center is not there yet, and judging by the size of the trees in the park, that is Omaha in about 1986-1987. I literally think "Omaha 1986" or "Omaha 1987" when I see that pic. It might even be 1988. (I've seen pictures of Omaha from that angle in 1982-1985, and the trees are tad smaller, and the park looks a little more open. That is definitely moving towards the years right before the Landmark Center was started & built around 1989.)
Thanks for the clarification!!

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha photojournalist to have street renamed in his honor

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha street to be named for legendary photojournalist on Saturday

A street will be renamed tomorrow honoring legendary photojournalist, Rudy Smith, Sr.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Section of Lake Street renamed for Rudy Smith

A section of Lake Street was renamed in honor of late Omaha World-Herald photojournalist Rudy Smith
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stretch of Lake St. renamed Rudy Smith Sr. St.

Stretch of Lake St. renamed Rudy Smith Sr. St.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't think I remember seeing this photo before. Lots of changes today.

Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Louie wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but is Butternut even in this frame?
Mid to late 1980's. 1200 Landmark would be the next building to rise. And then about a decade later First National tower and a few years after that Union Pacific. The mid to late 80's was not a particularly good period for DT. Enron was about to leave the city and go to Houston and downtown was struggling with vacant buildings and empty retail space. It wouldn't be till the CHI arena was built in 2003 that downtown would start to make a comeback. On a positive note the Old Market thrived in the 80's and was the best thing about DT back then in my opinion.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:18 am I don't think I remember seeing this photo before. Lots of changes today.

Just seeing this now. Wow, we really have lost quite the old building stock even just from then. It's a shame we've done so poorly at preservation, especially considering how many lots continue to sit unused.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Is the building with the pitched roof on the current UP HQ lot the old auditorium downtown? Does anyone have any interior shots of it?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:01 pm Is the building with the pitched roof on the current UP HQ lot the old auditorium downtown? Does anyone have any interior shots of it?
I think that is the Rialto Theater. According to wiki it was only actually in operation as a theater for 10 years then was a grab bag of uses for 60 years.

Didn't have much luck on the inside, but this picture of the theater from the Durham collection is fascinating.

https://durhammuseum.contentdm.oclc.org ... l1/id/9323
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:17 pm
Linkin5 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:01 pm Is the building with the pitched roof on the current UP HQ lot the old auditorium downtown? Does anyone have any interior shots of it?
I think that is the Rialto Theater. According to wiki it was only actually in operation as a theater for 10 years then was a grab bag of uses for 60 years.

Didn't have much luck on the inside, but this picture of the theater from the Durham collection is fascinating.

https://durhammuseum.contentdm.oclc.org ... l1/id/9323
Here are more pics of the Rialto. Can you imagine if it was saved and rehapped? What an amazing building.

Rialtopics
First 50 years in Omaha, last 50 in Detroit. Yes, I'm that crazy.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Thank you! Incredibly depressing it was torn down. Not sure the accuracy but according to a website this was the interior
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Linkin5 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:06 pm Thank you! Incredibly depressing it was torn down. Not sure the accuracy but according to a website this was the interior
The claim was 2500 seats so it could be the inside.
First 50 years in Omaha, last 50 in Detroit. Yes, I'm that crazy.