Old photos

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Old photos

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:Anyone on here latched on to the Facebook group... Forgotten Omaha

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9763096 ... 3/?fref=nf
Found that a little while ago. I know Stargazer is also there...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

1960 and 2015
image.jpg
image.jpg (255.54 KiB) Viewed 14402 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (228.29 KiB) Viewed 14402 times
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Anyone on here latched on to the Facebook group... Forgotten Omaha

I think it is pretty new.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lol, someone posted a couple pictures of Senor Matias on there. The exterior was the right photo but the inside photo was Guaca Maya... Not even remotely close!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:

I think it is pretty new.
Really new. It blew up over the past 2-3 weeks with dozens of posts of various old and less than recent pictures of Omaha. And hundreds of comments that flooded FB.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bigredmed wrote:Really new. It blew up over the past 2-3 weeks with dozens of posts of various old and less than recent pictures of Omaha. And hundreds of comments that flooded FB.
There has been some really cool stuff on there in the past couple days.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Really new. It blew up over the past 2-3 weeks with dozens of posts of various old and less than recent pictures of Omaha. And hundreds of comments that flooded FB.
There has been some really cool stuff on there in the past couple days.

Now there is a link on the Forgotten Omaha FB page to the Daly Mansion thread here. Be interesting to see if it brings a bunch of new registered users here.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube][/youtube]
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

But, but, but, but, they forgot Jobbers Canyon and all of the great bars and restaurants we could have had there, and the Jobber's Canyon Restaurant & Brewerey which really existed. Thanks, now I've got that tune stuck in my head!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban wrote:But, but, but, but, they forgot Jobbers Canyon and all of the great bars and restaurants we could have had there, and the Jobber's Canyon Restaurant & Brewerey which really existed. Thanks, now I've got that tune stuck in my head!
But... Wouldn't that exactly be the point... That there have been so many establishments in Omaha that have been 'Lost' that it couldn't be fit on a 2 minute video?

So, just what bar are the girls line dancing in? I do not recognize it...?

As for the tune itself... You're welcome...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I imagine the video was made mostly for viewers born in or after the 80s.
But it is pretty amazing how many places have come and gone over the years...similar to how many people have come and gone. Cities are always changing and never reach a point where they won't change in some way or other. This video fits well with the "Forgotten Omaha" FB page.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I LOVE IT!!! Guitars and Cadillacs was the first dance club I ever went to! :lol: :banger:
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Here are some photos of the 1933 Millard Hotel fire from the John Savage and Bostwick-Frohardt online collections at the Durham Museum...7 firefighters died fighting this fire...
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Much thanks for these photos. I've only heard about this fire from my grandfather, who was one of the firemen at the scene (he was stationed at Engine company #2, which is now the Upstream Brewery). The 7 firemen died when a wall collapsed on them.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

ricko wrote:Much thanks for these photos. I've only heard about this fire from my grandfather, who was one of the firemen at the scene (he was stationed at Engine company #2, which is now the Upstream Brewery). The 7 firemen died when a wall collapsed on them.
Glad my curiosity helped you gain more info on the subject. When you have time, you (and anyone else who's interested) should check out the online photo archive of the Durham Museum. I did a search for "fire" and came up with something like 3800 photo's. There were quite a few of the Millard Hotel fire. That search also turned-up many non-emergency photo's such as people at fire stations, etc. I have heard they still have many photos in the collections to scan, so maybe the post 1930s-1940s M's fire photos I'm trying to find will be online eventually, if they exist.

http://www.durhammuseum.org/experience/ ... chive.aspx
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Sometimes they have a sale on old photos at the Durham. I got a really cool skyline picture from the 1910s from there for like $10.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Sometimes they have a sale on old photos at the Durham. I got a really cool skyline picture from the 1910s from there for like $10.
No way! Do they sell them online?
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

daveoma wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Sometimes they have a sale on old photos at the Durham. I got a really cool skyline picture from the 1910s from there for like $10.
No way! Do they sell them online?
I'm not sure about online, but every once in awhile they have a station set up in the museum lobby.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Here are a couple of new favorite photos I found online today in the Durham Bostwick-Frohardt collection ...Jobbers Canyon related of course. The views are looking south on 9th Street from Dodge and also from Douglas. You can see that the "canyon" extended all the way north to Dodge...(actually to Capitol) The Greenhouse building's (AKA McKesson Robbins/Nash Block) twin was intact up to Douglas with other large buildings extending up to Dodge. The Greenhouse building's twin at the northeast corner of 9th and Douglas was demolished to make way for the extension of the mall further east, as were other buildings west of Greenhouse.

View from Dodge

View from Douglas

The scale & density of the Thomas Kimball-designed Nash Block Buildings is/was very impressive, as was the whole district.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

These photos aren't really old but they are from the World Heralds story today about the afternoon newspaper. These stands were operated in downtown Omaha:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like Mike'l Severe in that second photo on the left.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Looks like Mike'l Severe in that second photo on the left.
Yes it does but guessing the photos are from the early 80's from the few cars in the shots Guessing it is a twin separated by a few years.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

skinzfan23 wrote:These photos aren't really old but they are from the World Heralds story today about the afternoon newspaper. These stands were operated in downtown Omaha:

I would place the first picture in the mid to late 70's. Both pictures are at the corner of 16th and Farnam. One before the Central Park Plaza and 16th Street redevelopment and one after. Construction on the Central Park Plaza began in 1979. The first picture is the Northwest corner looking east.

The second picture is the Northeast corner of 16th and Farnam looking North. It is before the building on the Northwest corner was torn down for the parking garage. That News Stand was part of the 16th Street redevelopment and operated until at least the mid 1990s.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

I remember that old canvas news stand. My dad worked downtown and one day he took me to work and we walked past that news stand on the way to his office. I thought that was the coolest job in the world at that time. I also remember going with my grandmother to the flagship Brandies store downtown in the mid 60's and thinking that being an elevator operator was the coolest job in the world, too.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

World-Herald Photo wrote:
World-Herald Photo ‏@OWHpictures wrote: 3 minutes ago
This photo of “The Tired Tower” ran in a March 1936 World-Herald with no caption. Filed in Omaha. Anyone know? #TBT
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Brad wrote:
World-Herald Photo wrote:
World-Herald Photo ‏@OWHpictures wrote: 3 minutes ago
This photo of “The Tired Tower” ran in a March 1936 World-Herald with no caption. Filed in Omaha. Anyone know? #TBT
I think that George Bush built it as a sign that 9/11 was going to happen 65 years later
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Not quite a photo, but an old video with mention of Suttle:

|expletive| Omahans Say:

[youtube][/youtube]
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Wow...it is so great to see these. Those color 1960's photos: Wow...those just almost don't look real. It looks like a "Hollywood set" to me, or something. I don't think I would have known that was Omaha, if I didn't see those on this board. Wow, Downtown Omaha was so busy & vibrant. There is so much of that "vintage urban fabric" look in those photos. I love stuff like that. It is hard to capture that look nowadays, with all the remodels and new signage and stuff. Certain stretches of town kind of sort of still offer that (like Leavenworth).
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Coyote wrote:1960 and 2015
image.jpg
image.jpg
Love this aerial! It's so weird to see those now-older areas so brand new. Crossroads opened in 1960, I think, or 1961. It is sitting there in that photo. Is this precisely 1960?
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
NeonMartiniGlass
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeonMartiniGlass »

Man I love looking at these old photos. Glad I found this board again!!
Man Melts the Sands so He Can See the World Outside
NeonMartiniGlass
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeonMartiniGlass »

iamjacobm wrote:AMAZING SHOT:

Zoom in and the detail is astonishing.
The building that is under construction on the right end of the photo (just left of the David Cole Creamery sign) is the Skinner Macaroni building. The date on the picture is 1914 and the date over the Northwest entrance of the building is 1914. Just cool so see it tied together.
Man Melts the Sands so He Can See the World Outside
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Every time I see the old WoW building, I shed a single tear.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That is cool how much detail you can see zoomed in. You can see the old civic auditorium in the foreground in front of the WOW building. Shame the wow had to go. 1912-1977.......only 65 years.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Posted on the Forgotten Omaha fb page. Old post office being demoed.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Posted on the Forgotten Omaha fb page. Old post office being demoed.
Saw that on there yesterday... super sad!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I know hind-sight is always 20/20, but man were we dumbasses back then for our incredible lack of vision for the future...
Go Cubs Go
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

King Fong used to have a cigar list:
Attachments
20161105_130404.jpg
20161105_130404.jpg (210.09 KiB) Viewed 11196 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just found this in the archives at work. Demolition of the old UP Shops is just about complete and grading for the convention center portion of the CentruyLink Center is underway which leads me to believe this was taken in the Spring of 2001. Looking South East. Photographer Unknown.
uprr-yards-survey-aerial.jpg
uprr-yards-survey-aerial.jpg (69.53 KiB) Viewed 10864 times
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Just found this in the archives at work. Demolition of the old UP Shops is just about complete and grading for the convention center portion of the CentruyLink Center is underway which leads me to believe this was taken in the Spring of 2001. Looking South East. Photographer Unknown.

Nice

DO you have an arial that gives something close to the same perspective recently? Would be nice to see side by side.... or above / below I guess ;)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:Just found this in the archives at work. Demolition of the old UP Shops is just about complete and grading for the convention center portion of the CentruyLink Center is underway which leads me to believe this was taken in the Spring of 2001. Looking South East. Photographer Unknown.

Nice

DO you have an arial that gives something close to the same perspective recently? Would be nice to see side by side.... or above / below I guess ;)
Like this?