Picture in the Park Photo Contest

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Picture in the Park Photo Contest

Post by Coyote »

http://Livewellnebraska.com and Omaha Parks & Recreation and Rockbrook Camera teamed up for a photo contest.

Use the Parks & Recreation Discovery Guide for a list of green spaces, golf courses, skate parks, dog parks, trails and more.

Visit http://Omaha.com/pictureinthepark to submit photos. Your friends and family, and our readers, can vote for their favorites.

The photo with the most votes in each category will be framed and displayed at an August reception. World-Herald photographers and the Parks Department will pick the top three photos.

Dates: May 6 – July 31 (photos can be take prior to these dates)

Rules: The photo must be taken at an Omaha Parks & Recreation location. Click here for a list of ideas. Photo must be high resolution (200 dpi or higher).

Prizes courtesy of Rockbrook Camera:
1st place: Nikon 1 J1 with 10-30mm lens
2nd place: Customized 2-hour photo walk for two with Rockbrook instructor Mark Graeve
3rd place: $50 giftcard to Rockbrook Camera

Reception: August 15 at 6 p.m. at the Dodge Park Pavilion. Guest speakers will include local photographers. Open to the public.

Categories:

• Playgrounds
• Pools and water spray grounds
• Lakes and campgrounds
• Nature and wildlife
• Golf courses
• Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge
• Picnic in the park
• Sunset views
• Specialty parks: Dog parks, skate parks, etc.
• Action & Sports: Ball fields, cycling, running trails, etc.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

City Trolling for more free photos...
E.   ENTRY CONSTITUTES PERMISSION TO PUBLISH.  Any photo submitted during the contest (and any information submitted by the entrant on the online entry form, including but not limited to caption and entrant’s name) may be published in any form of media by the Omaha World-Herald Company or the Omaha Parks and Recreation Department, including but not limited to publication in the Omaha World-Herald newspaper and/or omaha.com or livewellnebraska.com, or in any brochure or marketing publication for Omaha Parks & Recreation, at any time and for any length of time, including but not limited to publication for any marketing, advertising or other form of promotion for this contest or any other photo contest by Sponsor.  Any publication pursuant to the rights granted herein does not entitle the entrant or any other person to any form of compensation. Entrant represents and warrants (i) the photo is his/her original work, (ii) no part of the photo will infringe upon, violate or misappropriate the copyright or other rights of any third party, and (iii) the photo will not contain defamatory or libelous matter, or invade or intrude upon the privacy or publicity rights of any person. If an entrant in this contest submits a photo, such entrant agrees he/she owns all right, title and interest in the photo(s) and the entrant must have obtained the permission of all persons identifiable in the photo to submit any photo in this contest. Submission of any photo in this contest constitutes the entrant’s representation that the conditions in this paragraph have been satisfied. Each entrant shall hold the Sponsor harmless from claims of any third party relating to publication by the Omaha World-Herald Company of the photo or any information provided by the entrant in any form of media, including but not limited to publication in the Omaha World-Herald newspaper or on any of its websites, including but not limited to omaha.com and livewellnebraska.com. By submitting any photo, the entrant grants Omaha World-Herald Company the rights and privileges set forth in these rules.
Sorry, but the parks department was informally looking for Free photos a while back and I told them no, now they are having a photo contest so they can trick people in to free photos.  Its not fair to full time photographers who are tax paying residence of this city to do this.  Nor is it fair to the clients of those same photographers who pay that photographer for photos.

You think people would go for a "Who can mow the park the best" contest?  "Everyone go out and mow the best design in your neighborhood park and we will have the guys from Heartland Lawns and the City Parks department come out and choose who mowed the best...."  "Winner gets a new mower blade and the runner up gets a gift card to Mullhalls."

What a joke.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

The Local Monopoly Fishwrap has done this before.  Heck, they publish books filled with free (to them) pics.  Why not?  It's cheaper than working for a living.  And for your efforts you get to say "Look everybody!  The owh showed my picture!  I got screwed with my pants on & I got a giftcard from Rockbrook Camera!"

Just don't repost anything here without the blessing of the owh law dept.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote:City Trolling for more free photos...

Sorry, but the parks department was informally looking for Free photos a while back and I told them no, now they are having a photo contest so they can trick people in to free photos.  Its not fair to full time photographers who are tax paying residence of this city to do this.  Nor is it fair to the clients of those same photographers who pay that photographer for photos.

You think people would go for a "Who can mow the park the best" contest?  "Everyone go out and mow the best design in your neighborhood park and we will have the guys from Heartland Lawns and the City Parks department come out and choose who mowed the best...."  "Winner gets a new mower blade and the runner up gets a gift card to Mullhalls."

What a joke.
This x 1,000,000
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Keep forgetting about that. No more of their photo contests postings.
Timmys Treehouse
Home Owners Association

Post by Timmys Treehouse »

I have thought long and hard about entering photo contests and posting my work on-line.  Every contest from National Geographic down to the Durum Museum has similar wording in the “official rules” (two exceptions would be the contests held by the Bluffs Arts Counsel http://bluffsarts.org/page26.asp and Prairie Winds Art Center http://www.prairiewindsart.com/Page32.html, neither of which require/allow electronic submissions).  At least when you submit to a contest, the organizers are up front about using the work royalty free.  When photos are posted on Flicker, Facebook, or even here, who knows where they will end up!

I can’t resist the fact that I love to enter contests though.  About a year ago, a professional photographer asked me why I like them so much.  At first I couldn’t think of a good reason other than my own insecurities of wanting to be noticed and simply sharing my work. The more I thought about about it though, the more I felt like I should continue to enter them.  I’ve never really felt like I’m simply giving something away.  What I get from contests is judgment from the public (and sometimes professionals) of how my stuff compares to other contestants, cheep publicity, and self-gratification/bragging rights.  I think the value of being able to say, “Look everybody! The OWH showed my picture!” is a worthwhile marketing tool.  Also, I don’t think I’ve ever not sold a photo because a couple hundred thousand people saw it on the Nat Geo web site or tens of thousands of people saw it in the Omaha World Harold.  I do know that more than once, I have heard people look at my stuff and say “hey that’s the picture we saw on the news, how much is it?” (ketv ulocal) and then bought it.  

I understand the statement that it’s not fair for the park department to hold a contest like this.  I agree that there is little to no chance of selling a photo to them now, or a Nebraska photo to the World Harold, they already got them for free. The way I look at it is if I were the type of person who had spent years learning how to mow the best designs in grass, invested thousands of dollars in the best equipment I could get, had thousands of these designs already complete, and the main reason I had all that was just because I loved doing it, I would enter a “who can mow the park the best” contest.  My thought process is that if 25% of the people who were at memorial park yesterday were to see that design and said “I sure would like to have this design in my yard” and 25% of those bought the design from me, that would be a worthwhile return on my investment of hitting the “submit” button.  Seems like a symbiotic relationship to me.

I don’t understand the statement that holding a contest like this is “cheaper than working for a living”.  I’ve never done it, but I don’t imagine these web sites come on-line, contests are judged, and winners posted without work.  I’m certain books don’t get published without work. We all know that nothing is free.

I also love being able able to here other photographers opinions and being able to share my own thoughts on this forum so please, keep the posts about contests coming. Just don’t enter them if you don’t find any value in it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for your thoughts!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Here's a "contest" I'm participating in, although they call it a "Photo Fest" and not contest. You should be able to view this without logging in.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/ ... p?t=134184

Rule 3 has some of the would-be participants kind of in a tizzy. :)