Central Park Plaza

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Central Park Plaza

Post by Brad »

I thought we had a CPP thread?  No?

Anyways, nothing special, just a random shot from last night I was going to add to that thread...

Timmys Treehouse
Home Owners Association

Post by Timmys Treehouse »

What lens did you use for that?

This one was with a 10-22

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

16-35, but I was playing with a tilt shift correction in Photoshop.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Nice shots, guys. I really like these two buildings. I hope that when their lease expires, the businesses in there renew.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Central Park Plaza

Post by skinzfan23 »

I posted this in another thread, but this morning they are removing the First Comp sign from the building. Any idea why? Did REX and First Comp complete the move out west that was previously mentioned. The building looks pretty plain without the lettering.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Website says they are still downtown although that may just mean the website hasn't been updated.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

NovakOmaha wrote:Website says they are still downtown although that may just mean the website hasn't been updated.
I checked there too, but no indication on website if they moved.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Not sure why the signage was removed but they have not moved out west. my wife works there, i will see if she knows why.
Go Cubs Go
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Has anyone figured out if REX and First Comp are still there? I've tried Googling stuff and haven't found anything out. Those two businesses are still being listed at CPP.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

For some odd reason, I've always disliked these buildings. Everyone (except Brad) takes photos of Central Park with these two buildings right smack in the center. Yuck!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

mcarch wrote:For some odd reason, I've always disliked these buildings. Everyone (except Brad) takes photos of Central Park with these two buildings right smack in the center. Yuck!
Why? I think they are one of the few examples of properly executed midrise buildings that off something for everyone at ground level. They are unique and the brick is a nice homage to the brick buildings that once populated downtown and the shape of the towers is a nice closeout of the international style of architecture aso well as a welcome to a more progressive movement of architecture.

The Bride
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

I'm not a fan of the 2-story parking garage part that fronts 16th street but other than that I love these buildings.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Midwestern wrote:I'm not a fan of the 2-story parking garage part that fronts 16th street but other than that I love these buildings.
Agree on both counts. I've always thought the way Gene Leahy Mall kind of looks like it "leads up" to these two buildings is pretty awesome. Two mid-rises that looked differently or a superblock high rise wouldn't have the same effect, IMHO.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I never thought they were that great, maybe because they were originally built for ConAgra. Nothing special architecturally. Maybe if ConAgra would have built a more iconic high-rise they would have stayed put and spared Jobbers Canyon. Hmmm, I wonder what they tore down to build Centarl Park Plaza. Probably something we wish we still had.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I wish more people would take advantage of these buildings, though. I keep trying to find how much office space is available and there is nothing up to date, or I need to be a member of a real estate site to see.

The Bride
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

They're not architecturally substantial except the fact that they are large triangular buildings... and there's two of them. I also don't see how they reflect jobbers canyon. I all the brick that is on them "new brick." It doesn't scream reclaimed or old brick. They're big red massive triangular building's built in the nternational style... and not really so much as international style. International style usually means mostly glass walls to make the large building seem to be smaller than it is.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

mcarch wrote:They're not architecturally substantial except the fact that they are large triangular buildings... and there's two of them. I also don't see how they reflect jobbers canyon. I all the brick that is on them "new brick." It doesn't scream reclaimed or old brick. They're big red massive triangular building's built in the nternational style... and not really so much as international style. International style usually means mostly glass walls to make the large building seem to be smaller than it is.
The Woodmen and Kiewit buildings are both International style. The older form of International style doesn't use glass curtain walls, such as the smaller FNB tower did. I never said they reflected JC specifically, either. When I said red brick buildings, I meant that in a more general sense of all the buildings that were down there while these two were built. And of course they were going to use new brick. What were they going to do, knock down 10 more buildings so they can have old bricks? I feel like CPP is very under-appreciated these days... They've basically been doomed since ConAgra and InterNorth left them.

The Bride
Jack Ford
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jack Ford »

My Federal Agency has a entire floor in the North Tower. I think our tower is mostly full. UP has a huge presence in both towers. I'll have to review the floor directories for both buildings and report back.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Jack Ford wrote:My Federal Agency has a entire floor in the North Tower. I think our tower is mostly full. UP has a huge presence in both towers. I'll have to review the floor directories for both buildings and report back.
That would be lovely. Thanks!!

The Bride