Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing- Hastings 2013

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing- Hastings 2013

Post by bbtran72 »

These guys come to MPH(Motorsports Park Hastings) every year during the weekend of Labor Day and they are a blast and also super lould. I am supprise the track does not advertise this event or most of the events they have because i'm sure lots of people would come since they do not charge to get in. For the rest check my flickr out :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbtran72

Suit Up
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nice.  I have been to Hastings many times, but I never knew there was a track there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Where is this?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Where is this?
East edge of Hastings, Nebraska.  In railroad terms, South of the BN, East of the UP... :;):
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

That explains a LOT.  On Saturday of labor day weekend this year we went to Grand Island to the state fair.  on I80 West bound I passed or was passed by at least 5 difforent cars of this style being trailers.  Wondered what was going on.  now I know!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Where is this?

Hastings is South of Grand ISland about 25 miles or about 20 Miles S of the interstate!     :mrgreen:
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Here's a better view of the track(2.1 mile) looking south west with highway 6 on the bottom right and UP railroad intersecting it.  I have been working for the track since it opened in 2006 and i doubt even 25% of people on here knows about it or been there. Though i admit it is a really sweet track in the middle of Nebraska.
Suit Up
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I had never heard of this before, and I am a huge fan. I looked at it from Google maps, but couldn't see a Grandstand there...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I had never heard of this before, and I am a huge fan. I looked at it from Google maps, but couldn't see a Grandstand there...
May be we will need to go take a few laps on our way to see the cranes in the spring... :;):
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:I had never heard of this before, and I am a huge fan. I looked at it from Google maps, but couldn't see a Grandstand there...
May be we will need to go take a few laps on our way to see the cranes in the spring... :;):
In Elmer?  :;):
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

There isn't really a Grandstand, which is sad because big events(80+ cars) like these will bring hundreds of people and there's only 1 stand that holds 30 ish.  They also have a facebook page(that i started and run for them) that you guys should check out.  It's almost the end of the racing season but usually there's a motorcycle, car, street drag event once a month which keeps the track and i pretty busy.

https://www.facebook.com/RaceMph

Suit Up
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

This would have been so neat to go to. My dad would have loved this.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If I had known about this, I would have had hundreds of photos on my page by now.

Who is the promoter? And why as this place been so obscure?
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Coyote wrote:If I had known about this, I would have had hundreds of photos on my page by now.

Who is the promoter? And why as this place been so obscure?
Promoter/ guy running the show is the track manager.  He runs it by word of mouth which is to me not the best business strategies for multimillion dollar track if the investors ever want there money back.  No advertisement is your answer.
Suit Up
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Is this track open to the public? In the not so distant future I plan on making a cheap road course race car and have been bummed about the lack of racing options around the area.. 8)
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

guitarguy wrote:Is this track open to the public? In the not so distant future I plan on making a cheap road course race car and have been bummed about the lack of racing options around the area.. 8)
YES it is.  Every Friday they have this event called Speed Friday where you can take your car and go crazy from 10am-4pm for $125
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

George Anderson of Gessford Machine Shop http://www.gessford.com/ is the primary owner.

The original plan was to have grandstands, but in the early days as the first events took place and the rented temporary bleachers were moderately filled, it seemed like this type of road racing wasn't going to be a terrific draw on a regular basis. Combining this with the cost of staffing public events and the insurance required to have public attendance and George made the decision to focus on leasing the track to clubs as opposed to being a promoter of local public race events. These regional and national clubs are made up of people who have stupid amounts of money to put into their hobby and there are precious few places for them to hold their rallies. Hastings is as perfect a location as you could probably find.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

candleshoes pretty much answered it when it was in the early years.  But now that it is SLOWLY getting popular due to friday night street drag, they should build a bigger stand because on any given night when it is held, you can expect over 150+ people watching easily. They do have security right at the entrance and enough staff to do so.  Also George mainly runs it/manage it, he doesn't own it.  There are over a dozen of owners/investors
Suit Up
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbtran72 wrote:YES it is.  Every Friday they have this event called Speed Friday where you can take your car and go crazy from 10am-4pm for $125
I should take my 67 Volkswagen Beetle out there.  It would be awesome to get it up to 65... :;):
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Brad wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:YES it is.  Every Friday they have this event called Speed Friday where you can take your car and go crazy from 10am-4pm for $125
I should take my 67 Volkswagen Beetle out there.  It would be awesome to get it up to 65... :;):
Ratrod it :D then you could turn that beetle into a 150+mph monster
Suit Up
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbtran72 wrote:
Brad wrote:
Ratrod it :D then you could turn that beetle into a 150+mph monster
No thanks.  Its mostly original and it's a pre-august 67 so it has all the old lights, bumpers, dash, and other items.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Thanks for the info!! Looks like I have found where I will be heading towards for racing.. :mrgreen:
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Sounds pretty comparable in price to Mid America Motorplex down by Glenwood
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

icejammer wrote:
Sounds pretty comparable in price to Mid America Motorplex down by Glenwood
It is and even tracks that i have been to from colorado and ks are priced similar.
Suit Up
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Interesting mix of cars. Is it like a mix of car clubs? There's a surprising number of Austin Healey Sprites, Porsche 914s and E21 BMW 3-Series.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Interesting mix of cars. Is it like a mix of car clubs? There's a surprising number of Austin Healey Sprites, Porsche 914s and E21 BMW 3-Series.
Yes different clubs every month and each club has different class for faster/slow cars,  RMVR is definitely my favorite event of the year. Most people have some of these car parked in the garage and only take it out on a sunny day, where these guys take it around the track bumping each other.

List of couple of clubs that Motorsports Park Hastings hosts:

Porsche club america
SCCA
RVMR
Ducati Omaha-Track addix
Nasa
Mustang/ Ford
Viper/Mopar Rendezvous
KART
Harchelroad
Suit Up