Synagogues of Omaha

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Synagogues of Omaha

Post by Brad »

I recently had someone contact me about photos of Synagogues in Omaha.  Here is what I came up with.

1.  "New" Beth El Synagogue

2.  "New" Beth El Synagogue

3.  Beth Israel Synagogue

4.  Beth Israel Synagogue

5.  "Old" Beth El Synagogue

6.  "Old" Beth El Synagogue

7.  "Old" Temple Israel

8.  "New" Temple Israel

9.  "New" Temple Israel
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Wonderful shots! A series on other places of multi-cultural/ethnic worship would be interesting.

Also, if I am not mistaken, isn't there a synagogue on 120th and Shirley?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am not sure.  This guy was from out of town and he gave me a basic list of what he was looking for.  There could be more.

I have photos of old churches too.  I am still waiting for someone to cut down the power lines in front of the Cathedral...  I if I am near an old church, I usually snap a photo or two of it.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

RNcyanide wrote:Also, if I am not mistaken, isn't there a synagogue on 120th and Shirley?
That's the Chabad-Lubavitch House. That's a Hasidic ("ultra Orthodox") northern European movement.

IIRC there is or was a smaller Reconstructionist temple somewhere in the same neighborhood, but I haven't heard anything about it for some time.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

119th and Westwood Lane.  Google lists this space as also a Unitarian church, so perhaps they are sharing space?

Synagogue's name is Beyt Shalom.

Not at all sure what Reconstructionist Judiasm means, but that is how they list themselves.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bigredmed wrote:Not at all sure what Reconstructionist Judiasm means, but that is how they list themselves.
Reconstructionist was started in the US as a result of Modernism.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Coyote wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Not at all sure what Reconstructionist Judiasm means, but that is how they list themselves.
Reconstructionist was started in the US as a result of Modernism.
Thanks.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Originally it was a liberal spinoff of Conservative Judaism. It's now considered by most (not all) to be a legitimate branch.

I've been to the Second Unitarian out by 120th and Center, but not for some time. I was unaware that they were co-located with a Reconstructionist Temple, but I would guess that they are simply leasing or giving space to that congregation.

From what I know, Reconstructionists can be fiercely independent. "Cafeteria Judaism" is one term I've heard used by some.