Photo Request Thread

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Admin
Law Enforcement

Photo Request Thread

Post by Admin »

With Taken and his drone joining our forum and great photographers like Brad contributing for the welfare of our readers;
if you have a request for a photo to be posted on this forum, please leave a comment in this thread, and hopefully someone can post one in the given thread.
Linkin5
County Board

Re: Photo Request Thread

Post by Linkin5 »

Does anybody have any recent pics of the Power Plant conversion. I just checked Nustyle's website and it said completed.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:Does anybody have any recent pics of the Power Plant conversion. I just checked Nustyle's website and it said completed.
I drove by 8th St yesterday and there was a dump truck leaving the area, I almost tried to take a pic but there was still too much activity in the area...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Does anybody have any recent pics of the Power Plant conversion. I just checked Nustyle's website and it said completed.
I drove by 8th St yesterday and there was a dump truck leaving the area, I almost tried to take a pic but there was still too much activity in the area...
Is it really completed like Nustyles website states?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Is it really completed like Nustyles website states?
I sincerely doubt this, but I will drive by and take some pics this afternoon
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I can see this building from the landmark center and it is not completed. I think I looked a few days ago and there aren't even windows in yet.
taken
New to the Neighborhood

Post by taken »

Admin wrote:With Taken and his drone joining our forum and great photographers like Brad contributing for the welfare of our readers;
if you have a request for a photo to be posted on this forum, please leave a comment in this thread, and hopefully someone can post one in the given thread.
I have trouble finding some of the things people talk about, so including a Douglas County parcel# would be helpful to me. :)
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Thanks Brad for all the updates today!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Thanks Brad for all the updates today!
You're welcome. It was great to get back out and see everything again, and in some cases, see things for the first time!
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Does anyone have some recent photos of the Omaha skyline looking from the south? That seems to be the angle that we don't really see as much in photos, but has always been one of my favorite angles for the skyline.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Midwestern wrote:Does anyone have some recent photos of the Omaha skyline looking from the south? That seems to be the angle that we don't really see as much in photos, but has always been one of my favorite angles for the skyline.
The1wags and I use to talk about that when he lived here, but we never did shot any. Its been 5 years now since he has moved.

I think one of the best spots could be 16th street, but I still haven't found the right location, may be down by Vinton or something. Just so many trees along 16th. I was thinking I saw a spot on 19th as well.

That little circle with the townhouses could be cool too if you knew someone that would let you out on their deck.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have shot from here a few times, but just never liked it. Too much negative spaces or something.

Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Somewhere around 13th & Pacific would be good.

The powerlines in that area could be a block though.

I guess someone eventually doing an aerial photo from that angle would be the only good option. I've always thought that this angle makes Omaha's downtown look the most dense/urban. Riding into downtown coming from the south on 13th or 16th street is my favorite way to enter downtown.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yeah, 13th street has one power pole and a "42 degrees pipes" billboard completely ruining it...

I would shoot railroad photos from there all the time if those two things weren't there.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Of course 13th street wouldn't be too different that the Postal Annex from 11th Street.

Shot this 4/13/2009

U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Need some downtown Omaha drone shots taken in a specific location. Would like to assemble it into a short video. If you can do this and have examples of your work please send me a Private message and contact information. Thanks.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I can do it from a helicopter.... Way better than a stupid drone...

By the way, its still completely illegal to fly a drone in downtown Omaha. I know people do it, but they are breaking the law.
taken
New to the Neighborhood

Post by taken »

Brad wrote:I can do it from a helicopter.... Way better than a stupid drone...

By the way, its still completely illegal to fly a drone in downtown Omaha. I know people do it, but they are breaking the law.
Yep.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

I believe under 400ft is OK...?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Athomsfere wrote:

I believe under 400ft is OK...?
No, drones are never allowed to go above 400. After reading the rules and then reading about the other classes of air space, looks like you might be able to fly closer to airports, but you would need to have approval from the air traffic controller. Technically "Class G" air space is where they want you to fly, and I think the 5 miles came to make it easy on everyone.

Rules:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Assuming they are operated legally, drones offer some advantages over helicopters while shooting video, such as flying lower between buildings, under tree canopies and power lines, and closer to obstacles, etc.

Photography from a helicopter obviously allows use of a better camera by a person who knows how to use it. GoPros and other drone cameras are surprising good though.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

GetUrban wrote:Assuming they are operated legally, drones offer some advantages over helicopters while shooting video, such as flying lower between buildings, under tree canopies and power lines, and closer to obstacles, etc.

Photography from a helicopter obviously allows use of a better camera by a person who knows how to use it. GoPros and other drone cameras are surprising good though.
I know, I was just being a little snarkey...

1. Riding round in a Helicopter with the doors off and the city at your feet is an amazing experience. Even more so when its a pilot that likes to have a little fun and mark hard turns and are literally looking straight down at the ground. Its probably the closes thing thing flying actually being able to fly. You just don't get that fun running a remote control from the ground.
2. I am completely size obsessed with my photos. My goal is to have every photo I take high enough quality to print at least 40"x"60". Its sad these days that most people view photos on their phone and don't really get to experience what a large high quality photo looks like mounted and hanging on the wall.
3. With the crazy amount of drones flooding the market, I would much rather spend the photography budget on photography trips, better camera equipment, large prints, and a new website.

So nothing against drones, they just aren't for me.
Crockett1985
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Crockett1985 »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the Westroads prior to its remodel in the early 90's (talking the 70s-Mid/Late 80's time frame) ?? Also of the chapel/heliport that was there as well.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Crockett1985 wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the Westroads prior to its remodel in the early 90's (talking the 70s-Mid/Late 80's time frame) ?? Also of the chapel/heliport that was there as well.
Check with the OWH. This area was photo'd slot when I was a kid. Santa always flew in by helicopter.
brianiac5
New to the Neighborhood

Pics of old wooden playground, used to be where Underwood Hills Early Learning Ctr is now?

Post by brianiac5 »

When I was a child back in the 1980s there was an awesome sprawling wooden playground at the elementary school that used to be where the Underwood Hills Early Learning Center is now (not sure what the school was called back then.) It's on Western near the corner of 90th. My grandma lived about a block from there and I used to go play there every day whenever I was visiting. I found out a few years ago that the playground was apparently torn down and replaced by a boring plastic one in recent years. I've searched online for pictures of the playground, but have not been successful. Does anyone remember this and happen to have pictures of the playground? Maybe from their own childhood, or pics they took of their kids or grandkids?
Patnukem
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Patnukem »

Hi, I am looking for older photos (1930-1990) from the 33rd and Leavenworth area. I have looked though several of the online archives and though the forum. I can find a lot from the 30th and Leavenworth area and from 37+ Leavenworth. I know a long shot but thank you in advance!