Home Owners Association

Old Woodmen of the World Building Photos

Post by mr. omaha »

Here are some more color photos I have of the old WOW building:

Brad
City Council

Re: Old Woodmen of the World Building Photos

Post by Brad »

That was a great old building... So sad its gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That would have made for some absolutely killer condos or apartments. It was thinner than I thought, too. Another thing I find strange is how many of these buildings which have cornices and decorative elements only have them on 2 sides. Now if they are built next to a building of equal or taller height, that's different, but it just seems odd to me.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

RNcyanide wrote:That would have made for some absolutely killer condos or apartments. It was thinner than I thought, too. Another thing I find strange is how many of these buildings which have cornices and decorative elements only have them on 2 sides. Now if they are built next to a building of equal or taller height, that's different, but it just seems odd to me.
Yeah, those would have rented/sold for top dollar. I agree it is odd they only finished two sides on such a tall building. They must have been overly optimistic that subsequent adjacent buildings would be built as tall or taller, and downtown would keep getting denser and denser. I wish they would have been right. Instead, most of the nearby buildings were eventually torn down for parks, campuses or surface lots.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

There is a photo on the OWH twitter today showing the implosion (link below) :(

l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

I was there that cool, crisp fall Sunday? morning (close to Thanksgiving, if I remember),watching with my now ex-wife, straight north, close to I-480. Also attended the implosion of the Medical Arts bldg...what a difference...nighttime, a cold miserable drizzle had been falling for hours, most of us watching didn't think it was going to happen. Ahhh, those were the days. (Sarcasm, OK).
At the time, these demos were the beginning of some new serious redevelopment, not unlike you folks discussing tearing down the Civic for the latest project. Most of us believed that the replacement project would be more successful for downtown. I don't remember exactly, but I recall the WOW building being mostly empty and in financial trouble. Wish it could have been saved. How sterile the area looked in that early picture of the Central Park mall with the WOW building in the background without the mature trees we've become accustomed to.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the picture: Looks like the block where the Landmark building is had some decent 3-4 story buildings as well. I also like the building that was where the Central Park Plaza is now.

mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

skinzfan23 wrote:Here is the picture: Looks like the block where the Landmark building is had some decent 3-4 story buildings as well. I also like the building that was where the Central Park Plaza is now.
I think the building where CPP is now was the old World-Herald building. I have some color pics of it somewhere. I'll try to find them.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

mr. omaha wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Here is the picture: Looks like the block where the Landmark building is had some decent 3-4 story buildings as well. I also like the building that was where the Central Park Plaza is now.
I think the building where CPP is now was the old World-Herald building. I have some color pics of it somewhere. I'll try to find them.
I have never seen those buildings that were where the Landmark Building is today. Interesting that this was not so long before the Old Market really took off. It is amazing what was destroyed in downtown Omaha between 1970 and 1990 with Central Park Mall, WOW building, and Jobbers Canyon.