Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Jobber's Canyon

Post by mr. omaha »

Midwestern wrote:
mr. omaha wrote:I'll go on....

For the record, I have dozens of color photos of Jobbers Canyon (and old downtown in general) and dozens of photos of the inside of many of those Jobbers buildings, and they are absolutely spectacular. Those buildings were in good to great condition, and the ONLY reason they were torn down was because of Mike Harper. Thanks to that d-bag, we now have a suburban campus of low-rise "UGLY RED BRICK BUILDINGS" (which, unsurprisingly, I absolutely loathe) and a park with a lagoon that smells like death and a graffiti covered pavilion that looks like absolute |expletive|. Before HoA the city was successfully able to maintain one nice park downtown - GLM - now we have two under-maintained nasty looking parks (for example, how long has it been since the canopy over the GLM slides ripped away, yet the supports are still there!?)... Omaha should be absolutely embarrassed. And, even if those buildings weren't torn down in 1989/90, Jobbers could have sat vacant for the past 20-25 years like every other large building downtown that sat vacant and was subsequently/in the process of being renovated (The Wire, Burlington PO and Station, Bebee Runyan, Barker, and so on and so on...) If the buildings in Jobbers were still there, they'd now be renovated or be in the process of being renovated, and downtown would be feel incredibly dense with a larger population (likely by a few thousand). If Jobbers hadn't been demolished there would be more people, architecture, culture, shops and services downtown, and probably a suitable grocery store like everyone wants. I wish ConAgra had left town back then, because I am convinced and will forever be convinced that Mike Harper and ConAgra ruined downtown Omaha's potential to become one of the most spectacular and unique mid-size urban cores in the entire country.
You should definitely share some of your color photos. :)
Here are a few of the many color photos of Jobbers Canyon I've acquired over the years:
9th St. looking south:
9th St. looking north:
Interior of John Deere Building:
Demolition of Creighton Building:
Last edited by mr. omaha on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District

Post by GetUrban »

Great pics. Thanks for posting. That last one really gets to me though. If only the ugly red brick buildings east of there now could be raised to make way for some good urban development to return.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Nice photos. Is that the U.P. Harriman Center in the bottom-right of the third pic?

Edit: Or at least what eventually became it, as I don't think they moved in there until the mid-90's?
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

NEDodger wrote:Nice photos. Is that the U.P. Harriman Center in the bottom-right of the third pic?
Yes.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Wow...it's too bad we couldn't have had Heartland of America Park AND Jobbers Canyon. It's really too bad there was no-one who could have rehabbed those buildings before they were demolished. What a loss.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow thanks for posting those pictures. I really like the first and second ones...it really shows the scale of how big these buildings were and how great they looked.
Brad
City Council

Re: Jobber's Canyon

Post by Brad »

I made a before and after map of Jobber's Canyon. I know someone mentioned keeping Jobber's Canyon and also have heartland of America Park. Looking at the maps, it looks like that could have been done.

Before (By the way, this The Aerial Photo on this Map is off by a block. I checked a couple different buildings and the aerial is a block too far north from the street map on the 1962 Aerial from the dogis website) Green house building in Green

After - Green house building in Green
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Christ, we could have kept all three!!! From the second map, it looks like we could have kept the majority of Jobber's, still made HoAP, and, with some shuffling of the buildings, ConAgra's campus. Seriously, the majority of JC was felled for near-useless greenspace/signage, a publicly-useless parking garage, and one-half of a building. Pathetic.

Unrelated, does CA own the lot directly north of Embassy Suites that they use for the skating rink?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RNcyanide wrote:Unrelated, does CA own the lot directly north of Embassy Suites that they use for the skating rink?
Yes. There was a master plan for ConAgra that included more buildings, but not sure if this is where one of them was planned or not.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That space is really strange. It's poorly maintained and very muddy. I mean, the trees are a nice touch, but i's kind of creepy walking through there at night.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

That is what I will never understand and what disgusts me, is why ALL of the buildings except two had to be bulldozed.

And I don't buy for one second that every single building in JC was a firetrap that was too far gone to have ever been saved. Give me a break. I'm sure people tried to say the exact same thing about the OM too. Were some of them probably too costly to convert to something else? I'm sure there were some like that. But ALL of them? Uh, no.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Here is in part the answer to the question about why the buildings had to go, and it helps to understand a bit of the back story.

First, that part of downtown, and really most of downtown, was in very poor condition and downtown itself was dying. Retail left or was about to, housing was moving farther and farther out west, and for all the talking there was zero interest in developing or new construction downtown.

Next, and this is really important, Northern Natural Gas/Internorth/Enron had just left for Houston, taking thousands of very well paying jobs with it. Omaha was reeling from the loss. Like it or not ConAgra was being seriously woo'd by Knoxville, TN. Omaha would have been knocked out if it lost ConAgra as well, and ConAgra was a growing, progressive, agressive company. Harper, love him or hate him, was a dynamo. They were creating new products and product catagories. They were also buying other companies. Omaha needed to keep them and for that matter so did Nebraska.

Also, the area where Heartland of America Park is was a battery plant. They had closed and with it were lost hundreds of jobs. Who would have wanted the land? Yes it was riverfront but whoever bought it would have had to clean it up. ConAgra had a plan. There was no one standing behind them with a cocktail napkin with an idea on it.

The actual buildings that were occupied in Jobbers Canyon, in many cases, had companies that were outgrowing the buildings. They would have left anyway. I know of three companies that had already planned to move. Yes it is true that many of the buildings could have been rehabbed but some were wood pillars and floors. Not easy or cheap to bring up to code. Other buildings were beyond condemnation. And, yes, I walked through many of them.

In the end, Mike Harper had a plan and the cash to do it. He did strong arm the city and the state into concessions but the alternative, seriously, was Knoxville. The company did own land north of 680 and did preliminary plans for a campus but that wouldn't have brought the concessions that Knoxville or the riverfront did. Imagine that part of downtown sitting vacant, if not until now then how about 10 years? 20?
Marty Shukert was in the planning department and did some preliminary plans for a skyscraper, a lake, and some if not all of the Jobbers Canyon buildings being used by ConAgra. The story was in the OWH if anyone wants to look for it. Harper said no.

I am not defending ConAgra. Nowadays those buildings would be snapped up and redone. That is now, not then. You have to understand that one, Enron really knocked Omaha to its knees, and two, Harper had the vision and the cash and he knew he could get whatever he wanted.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

While Enron leaving sucked, it would only be a little over a decade before we realized how big of a bullet we dodged with that one. We would have lost all of those jobs regardless...

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide wrote:While Enron leaving sucked, it would only be a little over a decade before we realized how big of a bullet we dodged with that one. We would have lost all of those jobs regardless...
Was not Enron bought out by greedy Houston bastards, and maybe if they actually stayed a midwest company, this history would never have occurred?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:While Enron leaving sucked, it would only be a little over a decade before we realized how big of a bullet we dodged with that one. We would have lost all of those jobs regardless...
Was not Enron bought out by greedy Houston bastards, and maybe if they actually stayed a midwest company, this history would never have occurred?
It's possible, I suppose.

The Bride
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Coyote wrote:
It wasn't bought out by anyone. Internorth was being stalked by a guy named Irwin Jacobs, a legend of an activist stock trader. In truth, Internorth bought Houston Natural Gas. It was a train wreck from before the start to the finish.

Read starting page 12. https://books.google.com/books?id=3-qvL ... th&f=false
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

NovakOmaha wrote:The company did own land north of 680 and did preliminary plans for a campus
They still own it and there is a lake on that property too:
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16509
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

What was. What could have been. What is.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

This is the saddest thing I've seen all week. Why you do dis to me?

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool rendering! Who did that?
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Brad wrote:Cool rendering! Who did that?
The city preservation department back in the late 80's when they were trying to save it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

mr. omaha wrote:
The city preservation department back in the late 80's when they were trying to save it.
The city had a preservation department? Who ran that Steve Mynard?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:
mr. omaha wrote:
The city had a preservation department? Who ran that Steve Mynard?
I lol'd
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

A few of the city planners worked on preservation admin tasks to try to save Jobbers (HABS, NHRP, document and plan admin, rendering production, etc..), hence, the "preservation department" - - - Much respect to those who cared.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I found an article in the OWH archives dated March 10, 1988 with the headline: "One City Concept Tried to Utilize Jobbers Canyon." which sounded like they were talking about the drawings posted above. (I had to pay $2.95 to satisfy my curiosity to read the whole story) It said the planning dept. paid Alley Poyner Architecture $1500 to develop concept drawings in May 1987 showing Jobbers left intact. Unfortunately, they did not show the drawings in the Archive article. I read some other archive articles on the subject too....and discovered that ConAgra had already decided to stay in Nebraska after LB775 passed the legislature in 1987. It was just a matter of them going to the riverfront or elsewhere (500+ acres near Lonergan which they bought for $876,000) in Omaha. The city and other DTO CEO's pushed hard to keep them downtown, even with ConAgra insisting Jobbers had to come down first. The city's main interest was extending GLM and getting HOA park built. Plus Mayor Bernie Simon was dying of cancer and wanted to get it started before he died early in 1988. Lawsuits to stop the demolition went on from late 1987 through 1988, even after the buildings were almost completely gone.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

GetUrban wrote:I found an article in the OWH archives dated March 10, 1988 with the headline: "One City Concept Tried to Utilize Jobbers Canyon." which sounded like they were talking about the drawings posted above. (I had to pay $2.95 to satisfy my curiosity to read the whole story) It said the planning dept. paid Alley Poyner Architecture $1500 to develop concept drawings in May 1987 showing Jobbers left intact. Unfortunately, they did not show the drawings in the Archive article. I read some other archive articles on the subject too....and discovered that ConAgra had already decided to stay in Nebraska after LB775 passed the legislature in 1987. It was just a matter of them going to the riverfront or elsewhere (500+ acres near Lonergan which they bought for $876,000) in Omaha. The city and other DTO CEO's pushed hard to keep them downtown, even with ConAgra insisting Jobbers had to come down first. The city's main interest was extending GLM and getting HOA park built. Plus Mayor Bernie Simon was dying of cancer and wanted to get it started before he died early in 1988. Lawsuits to stop the demolition went on from late 1987 through 1988, even after the buildings were almost completely gone.
Just a heads up, if you live in Omaha and have a library card, all of the World Herald's archives are free and available to view from the Library's website. Unfortunately there are still no pictures from 1983 forward.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

jelizh wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I found an article in the OWH archives dated March 10, 1988 with the headline: "One City Concept Tried to Utilize Jobbers Canyon." which sounded like they were talking about the drawings posted above. (I had to pay $2.95 to satisfy my curiosity to read the whole story) It said the planning dept. paid Alley Poyner Architecture $1500 to develop concept drawings in May 1987 showing Jobbers left intact. Unfortunately, they did not show the drawings in the Archive article. I read some other archive articles on the subject too....and discovered that ConAgra had already decided to stay in Nebraska after LB775 passed the legislature in 1987. It was just a matter of them going to the riverfront or elsewhere (500+ acres near Lonergan which they bought for $876,000) in Omaha. The city and other DTO CEO's pushed hard to keep them downtown, even with ConAgra insisting Jobbers had to come down first. The city's main interest was extending GLM and getting HOA park built. Plus Mayor Bernie Simon was dying of cancer and wanted to get it started before he died early in 1988. Lawsuits to stop the demolition went on from late 1987 through 1988, even after the buildings were almost completely gone.

Just a heads up, if you live in Omaha and have a library card, all of the World Herald's archives are free and available to view from the Library's website. Unfortunately there are still no pictures from 1983 forward.
There's no pictures before 1983 or after?
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

Linkin5 wrote:
There's no pictures before 1983 or after?
From what I've seen when using newsbank everything after 1983 is in text while the historical archives are scanned page for page.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Of all the hundreds of topic threads on eomahaforums, this thread singularly nauseates me. Just hearing the words "J______ C_____" (I can't bring myself to type the full words) makes me physically ill. The loss of this incredible jewel of a neighborhood was a crime against the city and a crime against architecture. I simply don't want to speak of it any more. It hurts too dam much.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I know the feeling. I let myself get immursed in the story the last few weeks, but can't wake up from the nightmare. Might have to take a break from it for a while.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

If Con Agra stayed in Omaha out West and we keep Jobbers Canyon, in retrospect that seems like a win - win.

However the Con Agra development and Heartland of America Park was a huge boost to Downtown redevelopment. Also all of the Con Agra workers and guest downtown certainly have added to the success of the Old Market and all of Downtown. While I can never forgive them for the destruction of Jobbers Canyon they have been a decent Corporate Citizen in other way by supporting other events and charitable causes.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:If Con Agra stayed in Omaha out West and we keep Jobbers Canyon, in retrospect that seems like a win - win.

However the Con Agra development and Heartland of America Park was a huge boost to Downtown redevelopment. Also all of the Con Agra workers and guest downtown certainly have added to the success of the Old Market and all of Downtown. While I can never forgive them for the destruction of Jobbers Canyon they have been a decent Corporate Citizen in other way by supporting other events and charitable causes.
Without ConAgra there is no Embassy Suites. Decent corporate citizen? Huge corporate citizen. Hundreds of employees downtown. Hundreds of visitors, most staying in downtown hotels. Not sure how many now but at a time they had quite a fleet of jets. And no matter how you feel about their campus it is quite a front door downtown, plus Heartland of America park, an icon. Without their campus there was zero talk of any development of the battery plant.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

You have to take it in the context of the time that it was decided and done as has been mentioned before. Sure it would be great to have now and I get that. What it did do though was become the catilest for what has taken place since. Without this loss I thing there is a high liklehood that all the things that people love about the rest of the area would never have happend to the extend they have.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:If Con Agra stayed in Omaha out West and we keep Jobbers Canyon, in retrospect that seems like a win - win.

Without ConAgra there is no Embassy Suites. Decent corporate citizen? Huge corporate citizen. Hundreds of employees downtown. Hundreds of visitors, most staying in downtown hotels. Not sure how many now but at a time they had quite a fleet of jets. And no matter how you feel about their campus it is quite a front door downtown, plus Heartland of America park, an icon. Without their campus there was zero talk of any development of the battery plant.
In regards to Embassy Suites:

One of the buildings that once stood where Embassy sits, the New Idea/Lindsay Building, actually had apartments on the top floor at the time it was demolished. I have a pic of the inside somewhere I'll try to find.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

"Huge Corporate citizen"....Huge price paid in giving up the Canyon. Plus the city foot the bill for unforeseen site costs. Total project cost for the city was $10.3 million. (OWH 8-5-1988)

"Hundreds of employees downtown"....Imaging hundreds more living west of the ConAgra campus and HoAp in several 8-9 story JC lofts which were already starting to be developed....albeit slowly. JC just blocked the view.

How many ConAgra employees walk over to the Old Market on the single 4' wide curvy brick sidewalk connecting to their campus, instead of going to their cafeteria, or eating a Top Chef microwave dinner or sack lunch at their desk? I've always wondered. (I'm not counting the empty flag-lined promenade)
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

http://www.omaha.com/money/omahans-weig ... 01a9b.html

A nice rundown of events leading to JC's demise.

The Bride
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

The Jobbers Canyon was a rat hole. If they they had not tore that area down they still would have half those buildings sitting there empty and falling apart. If the Jobbers Canyon was still there who knows how many fireman would of lost their lives or got hurt putting out the endless fires that seemed to mysteriously happen down there on a regular basis. Tearing down the Jobbers Canyon was one of the few good things the city did downtown in the last 20 years. You want to talk about stupid lets talk about the 100 million dollar baseball stadium sitting empty most of the time that we really could not afford that was built anyway. Lets talk about the the millions spent on the Century Link arena that should of been built out at Aksarben where it would of been centrally located. Lots of projects downtown were boon doggles and stupidity in motion but tearing down the Jobbers Canyon was the right thing to do even if ConAgra was not moving in there.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a couple of shots from the World Herald in the article about ConAgra today:

Here is a map similar to what Brad produced above:

List of buildings demolished:
Twenty-two buildings in Jobbers Canyon were demolished to make way for the ConAgra Foods campus. Here’s a list of the buildings, some of which are shown in this 1974 photo: 1. Nash Block; 2. Omaha Cold Storage Co.; 3. Lee-Coit-Andreesen Hardware Co.; 4. U.S. Supply Co.; 5. Kingman Implement Co.; 6. Harding Cream Co.; 7. H.J. Lee warehouse; 8. Fairbanks, Morse and Co.; 9. Dempster; 10. Crane Co. (Nogg Brothers Paper Co. bought the building in 1966); 11. Carpenter Paper Co.; 12. John Deere Plow Co.; 13. Creighton Block.
Buildings demolished between Howard and Jackson Streets, not shown in this photo: Rector and Wilhelmy Co.; Richardson; unnamed (owned and operated by D.H. Foods Co.); J.I. Case Plow Works; Trimble Brothers
Buildings demolished on South 10th Street between Harney and Howard Streets: American Radiator Co.; unnamed; John Day Co.; Brunswick-Balke-Collender
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

This may have already been posted but here is a link to a bunch of pictures of Jobbers Canyon.

Meyer Collection – Jobbers Canyon
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

That aerial photo shows perfectly how nice of an extension JC would be today to the Old Market. It would have been nice to at the very least keep the buildings between 10th & 9th street.

I hope whatever replaces it now is done right.