A few pictures from Dubuque, IA

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

A few pictures from Dubuque, IA

Post by skinzfan23 »

Dubuque has some amazing building stock, probably the best in the entire midwest, not to mention the natural beauty of the bluffs and the old mansions overlooking the Mississippi River. The Millwork District is their version of Jobbers Canyon and was the largest millworking district in the country at the time.

5. Old Roshek Department Store, Current IBM Building

6. Grand Opera House (Built in 1890)

8. Millwork District

9. Interior Courtyard in Millwork District

13. City Hall (Built in 1857)

18. Five Flags Theater

20. Fenelon Place Elevator (The Fenelon Place elevator is described as the world's shortest, steepest scenic railway, 296 feet in length, elevating passengers 189 feet from Fourth Street to Fenelon Place.)
Louie
County Board

Re: A few pictures from Dubuque, IA

Post by Louie »

That is not a city where I would expect one of those sight seeing tram things.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Thanks for sharing. I have always been amazed by the building stock in Dubuque as well. Usually have to scoot right on through when I am in the area. So I can cross taking photos off my bucket list thanks to your work.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

guy4omaha wrote:Thanks for sharing. I have always been amazed by the building stock in Dubuque as well. Usually have to scoot right on through when I am in the area. So I can cross taking photos off my bucket list thanks to your work.
Thanks, I lived there for two years so I got to see quite a bit of the city. One of these days I need to take some pictures of all the old houses. They are literally scattered everywhere throughout the city, from downtown, by the bluffs, on top of the bluffs, south of town.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Great pics.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Louie wrote:That is not a city where I would expect one of those sight seeing tram things.
Actually it has been in operation since 1882. The original burned and in 1977 (after 84 years on the original gear drive, the gear drive was replaced with a modern one.) It is $1.50 to ride each way, but you can also park at the top and just use the overlook. Well worth taking a trip on it if you are ever in Dubuque.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Louie wrote:That is not a city where I would expect one of those sight seeing tram things.
Actually it has been in operation since 1882. The original burned and in 1977 (after 84 years on the original gear drive, the gear drive was replaced with a modern one.) It is $1.50 to ride each way, but you can also park at the top and just use the overlook. Well worth taking a trip on it if you are ever in Dubuque.
Very cool.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lots of cool shot Scott.

What's with the rails in #8?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:Lots of cool shot Scott.

I think they are just old rail lines, and rather than covering them up or tearing them up, they decided to keep them exposed. I wish downtown Omaha did more of this. There are sections of track exposed on Jones St, but the street in general is so rough with all the overlays.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Brad wrote:Lots of cool shot Scott.

I think they are just old rail lines, and rather than covering them up or tearing them up, they decided to keep them exposed. I wish downtown Omaha did more of this. There are sections of track exposed on Jones St, but the street in general is so rough with all the overlays.
Interesting, I assumed they were not original because they look like they form a sharp angle and not a nice curve?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote: Interesting, I assumed they were not original because they look like they form a sharp angle and not a nice curve?
I didn't even notice that....I could be completely wrong, but judging that there are numerous remaining tracks in the area and that this area was once the largest millworking districts in the country.