11th St Viaduct

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

11th St Viaduct

Post by Coyote »

Not to pull this thread to far off, but I have always wondered about the history of the 10th St Viaduct. When was this built and what was there previously...?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: Jobbers Canyon Architectural Rendering

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:Not to pull this thread to far off, but I have always wondered about the history of the 10th St Viaduct. When was this built and what was there previously...?
We'll have to dig for some old photos of that.

Another interesting fact....I believe there was also a bridge/viaduct heading south from 11th and Jackson. If you look at the west facade of the warehouse buildings at 11th and Jones, they had entrance doors up at bridge level for access to the 11th St. bridge, similar to the buildings fronting the 10th St. bridge.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban wrote:If you look at the west facade of the warehouse buildings at 11th and Jones, they had entrance doors up at bridge level for access to the 11th St. bridge, similar to the buildings fronting the 10th St. bridge.
Now I'm going to have to look for this, I have never noticed that!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban wrote:Another interesting fact....I believe there was also a bridge/viaduct heading south from 11th and Jackson. If you look at the west facade of the warehouse buildings at 11th and Jones, they had entrance doors up at bridge level for access to the 11th St. bridge, similar to the buildings fronting the 10th St. bridge.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (135.96 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just to put that shot in another perspective :
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (190.46 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I remember people discussing 11th Street Viaduct in other threads, you can see it in a lot of old photos. People were talking about if the post office property was ever re-developed.

What I didn't know about until recently is what's the cool looking old building where SoMa is now.

Steve Raglin posted this photo on "Forgotton Omaha" a few weeks ago, which is where I first saw that building down on Leavenworth.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have seen that image with the train stations and both the 10th and 11th St bridges. I guess I didn't realize that the Old Market Lofts building had an entrance off it. I also didn't know that the post office building looked like that. Anyone else think the current building looks a little drab in comparison?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote: I also didn't know that the post office building looked like that. Anyone else think the current building looks a little drab in comparison?
I don't think that building on the north side of the tracks had anything to do with the Post Office. Steve pointed out that if you look right over the top of that old building and over on the right side of it, you can see the current post office building.

Yes, I do think its drab, and I hope they redevelop that whole property soon.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:what's the cool looking old building where SoMa is now.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (62.2 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
I have never noticed this building before either.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I have never noticed this building before either.
Its gotta be Railroad Related...
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Union Pacific Commisary.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks mr. omaha! Great find!

So this would be like the Union Pacific Law Enforcement offices?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's awesome Mr Omaha!

So I am assuming that photo is looking South East. Those tracks in the foreground are the yard leads that run down to the old rail yard where HofA park is and then up to the UP Shops were the Clink is now. That would put the Mainline Tracks and Union/Burlington Station Approach tracks up on top behind this building.

Then just to the left is the old 11th street viaduct, behind that you can see the buildings that are still standing, and the just on the left edge, you can see the old 10th street viaduct visible just under the 11th street viaduct.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

There's a "train & railroads bug" that I haven't been bitten-by (at least yet), and I can tell you guys have. I feel like I'm missing out when I see your pictures and hear your enthusiasm.

Growing up, a friend had a train set, and I designed and built model (cardboard & paper) skyscrapers for it, and we turned a regular train set town into a major city. The tracks were eventually removed, and an elevated freeway eventually stood there instead. We didn't care about the tracks & trains. However, I do think trains & tracks are cool. Because of the model buildings mainly, I have the most extensive train set catalog (Wathers) available, and I've almost bought a "Train Simulator" PC game before. I also like the movie "Unstoppable" and own it. So, maybe I'm into trains & track more than I think... :)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sometimes its not a bug. My Great Grandfather and his brothers moved to Omaha in 1892 to work for Union Pacific. My Great Uncle was one of the first engineers to drive the Diesel engines, so some people around here just have it in their blood.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Coyote wrote:Sometimes its not a bug. My Great Grandfather and his brothers moved to Omaha in 1892 to work for Union Pacific. My Great Uncle was one of the first engineers to drive the Diesel engines, so some people around here just have it in their blood.
I've watched just about every episode of heck on Wheels those guys had to be some tough s.o.b.s back in those days.
15-17, 26, 32
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

"...just have it in their blood."

You're right, I didn't even think of that, Coyote! Of course, I know UP is big in Omaha, and has a headquarters here, but nobody in my life has really ever worked for UP (surprisingly), no family history of mine involves the railroad (as far as I know), and I didn't even think of some of you working in that field. You're right...it is not just a "bug" sometimes -- especially around here. Sometimes, I need to slow-down & stop & think more.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Here are some more photos I found on the Durham site of the 11th street viaduct...still venturing off the Jobbers topic a bit, oh well.

View from the viaduct looking northeast.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Wow! So Leavenworth street used to be a rail yard?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

daveoma wrote:Wow! So Leavenworth street used to be a rail yard?
You could hang a left on 12th, but that's basically where it ended.
Coyote
City Council

11th St Viaduct

Post by Coyote »

Just posted on Forgotten Omaha...
The 10 St Viaduct in front of the Burlington, making Mason St look like a thoroughfare
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (118.29 KiB) Viewed 1599 times