FNB Construction Photos - 2002

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GetUrban
Planning Board

FNB Construction Photos - 2002

Post by GetUrban »

Here are some photos I took during a construction tour of the FNB tower back in 2002. The last one is from a later date when I got to go to the offices on the top floor.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Taco
Human Relations

Re: FNB Construction Photos - 2002

Post by Taco »

Awesome photos! What struck me most is how much of a wasteland everything north of 480 used to be. It's easy to forget...
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Great photos! Thanks for posting!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Amazing photos...thanks for posting. As I have mentioned before, if anyone is mad at the pace of development of north downtown, take a look at these photos and you can see how much of a wasteland that area was in the 90's. Asarco was still present as well.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

It will be great to compare this picture to one taken in 1-2 years once the Shamrock project is complete.

GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Most of Asarco was already gone by then. I'm not sure if the stuff to the north was theirs too. It might have been part of the old Omaha Dock that was south of the Aaron Ferrer scap metal yard along the river, where Gallup built.

It is pretty amazing how much the area has been transformed. Still a ways to go, but the most difficult work is done.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Awesome, AWESOME photos GetUrban. They were a treat and a definite trip down memory lane..

Thanks for sharing :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I awesome! I wish this building wasn't built during my decade long photography hiatus....
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Wow! Great to see those -- including the "blank slate" of North Downtown. I was living in Southern California when the new skyscraper was announced, but was living in Denver by the time it was being erected. I came back to Omaha for Christmas in 2001(ish), and saw the skeleton, I remember. Omaha's changed a lot since then. I can remember driving from Denver to Omaha back then, and Omaha just felt more stagnant, or behind Denver, or old-looking, or something, back then. Now, it feels like a "little Denver" to me -- just as sharp & progressive & trendy. I'm so pleased with the changes in Omaha.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.