Upgrade time?

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Upgrade time?

Post by bigredmed »

Rockbrook is having their tent sale. I have a Canon T3i. I will plan on getting a fast wide angle lens to do better shots of the Milky Way. I wonder about upgrading my camera body to a full frame camera as well. If you aren't doing pro stuff, and I am not, other than better bodies and higher ISO numbers, is there a need to go to a full frame camera?
Brad
City Council

Re: Upgrade time?

Post by Brad »

Do you have a Photoshop CC subscription? When doing astro photography, that's just as important as the camera.

I love having a full frame camera with all the lenses that go along with it. The next 5D is rumored to come out this fall, so it might be the perfect time to by a 5D3.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Re: Upgrade time?

Post by Athomsfere »

My opinion:

Only you can decide if going full frame makes sense. It has a lot more to do with your style IMO than tech specs.

Me for example: I like to shoot wide, so FF makes sense. I'd love to own a 14mm lens and get 14mm instead of the equivalent of 21.

I also shoot a decent number of night shots, so the lower noise is worth it to.

I still haven't gotten around to it though. I need a good price break of the D610, then I just have to figure out what to do with my D7100 and 3 of my lenses.