Omaha Skyline from Playland Park

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Omaha Skyline from Playland Park

Post by Brad »

I went over to Tom Hanafan's Rivers Edge Park last night hoping to shoot a skyline. I was debating between two locations and told myself to go with my first instinct... However Plan B would have been much better. The sunset color never made it far enough south to make a good skyline photo.

1. Here is a pano trying to get sunset in with the skyline.. Not a very good photo...

2. Here is one a little closer to dark.

3. Same photo cropped to a 2:1 Pano
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Omaha Skyline from Playland Park

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great photos....I was over at S 24th St in CB at that time and the skyline looked great with the colors in the background. Didn't last long though, by the time I was done pumping gas, the color had mostly gone.

By the way, where the CLink's light working last night? I drove by the other night and only a small portion of the neon lights were on.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks. Yes, it was a very fast moving sunset. Even thought my other spots wasn't very far, I would have never made it there...

I don't think so, you would see the green in the second and third photos.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Very VERY impressive!..

Gorgeous photography Brad :clap: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by RockHarbor »

It's looking really, really great, imo. I love how Omaha has this broad-faced glassy hotel on the skyline now, reminding me of Phoenix's broad-faced Downtown Sheraton, and Dallas's broad-faced Downtown Omni Hotel (in a way). I've drove over to CB even, to turn around, and come back across the river, seeing how it looks on the skyline. I'm such a nerd... :)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

RockHarbor wrote:It's looking really, really great, imo. I love how Omaha has this broad-faced glassy hotel on the skyline now, reminding me of Phoenix's broad-faced Downtown Sheraton, and Dallas's broad-faced Downtown Omni Hotel (in a way). I've drove over to CB even, to turn around, and come back across the river, seeing how it looks on the skyline. I'm such a nerd... :)
I may have done this several times throughout the course of construction here haha.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Louie wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:It's looking really, really great, imo. I love how Omaha has this broad-faced glassy hotel on the skyline now, reminding me of Phoenix's broad-faced Downtown Sheraton, and Dallas's broad-faced Downtown Omni Hotel (in a way). I've drove over to CB even, to turn around, and come back across the river, seeing how it looks on the skyline. I'm such a nerd... :)
I may have done this several times throughout the course of construction here haha.
Lol. We're all "nerds" in a way. Before this forum, I had no idea so many people cared about Omaha's skyline & growth & development so much -- I was obsessed growing up, and I still am now. It is so nice to see. (I've even thought about moving away, and still do, because I'm tired of caring so much.) Some of you are even worse than me. haha Some of you are so detailed and "on top of things" (on every little project) that I'm truly impressed. I'm glad we're all kept informed of what is new.

I root for Des Moines, too, and occasionally get over there to take a look. They have a neat new downtown building going up, too. (Des Moines is technically growing at a rate faster than Phoenix, I recently read. Omaha's growth rate is around 6%, while Des Moines is around 11%. Good for Des Moines, but I ultimately root for Omaha most at the end of the day. We need to get our growth rate up.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am exactly the same way. I think I really started caring around the time First National was building their tower and then UP. Ever since then, I try to follow every big project as well as all the infill projects as well.

There are times when I get disgusted about certain things in Omaha (roads not being cleaned up, slow pace of some construction, etc) and then I visit other cities and am reminded how good overall things really are in Omaha. It almost seems that since the late 90's the sense of pride in the community has really picked up and helped to place Omaha on the map in the region and even nationally. I am pretty sure none of us would have guessed the the US Olympic Swim Trials would be held here 4 times, the equestrian events twice, numerous volleyball tournaments and of course the NCAA volleyball and basketball tournaments (including the Sweet 16 regional).

There are still times when I go on my annual vacation to Wisconsin and am amazed at how clean a lot of the cities look, but Omaha is home and I am really proud to call it home. Everyone around me now knows to come ask if they are wanting to know about a project going on. And I usually refer them to this site :;): There are a ton of cities in the country that would love to have the philanthropic support that we receive in this community. The best way I describe it to people is, I love Omaha because it still has the small town feel but with a lot of the big city amenities.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

skinzfan23 wrote:I am exactly the same way. I think I really started caring around the time First National was building their tower and then UP. Ever since then, I try to follow every big project as well as all the infill projects as well.

There are times when I get disgusted about certain things in Omaha (roads not being cleaned up, slow pace of some construction, etc) and then I visit other cities and am reminded how good overall things really are in Omaha. It almost seems that since the late 90's the sense of pride in the community has really picked up and helped to place Omaha on the map in the region and even nationally. I am pretty sure none of us would have guessed the the US Olympic Swim Trials would be held here 4 times, the equestrian events twice, numerous volleyball tournaments and of course the NCAA volleyball and basketball tournaments (including the Sweet 16 regional).

There are still times when I go on my annual vacation to Wisconsin and am amazed at how clean a lot of the cities look, but Omaha is home and I am really proud to call it home. Everyone around me now knows to come ask if they are wanting to know about a project going on. And I usually refer them to this site :;): There are a ton of cities in the country that would love to have the philanthropic support that we receive in this community. The best way I describe it to people is, I love Omaha because it still has the small town feel but with a lot of the big city amenities.
That makes me smile that you started paying attention when the First National and UP building went up. For me, that FNB was a realization of a long awaited dream. All my years growing up in Omaha, the boxy Woodmen was the only tower that reigned. Now, when I go around that I-480/I-80 curve, and see the Woodmen & FNB looming tall to the north, I savor the view -- every time.

I know what you mean about those Wisconsin cities (and Minnesota cities). I love many things about Milwaukee (I've considered moving there, including neat Minneapolis), and have relatives in beautiful & tidy Madison. They are prettier & more scenic overall than Omaha (imo) with the lakes and more intense greenery. However, there is a gloomier & staunch aspect there still, imo. Omaha is brighter & sunnier & drier overall, has bigger skies, and a sweeping horizon line, and has a much faster growth rate -- showing at its perimeter, with miles & miles of new housing. (Almost like a small, fast growing, white collar "Dallas" in a way.) Nebraska is also "home sweet home." We have the fierce weather rolling across the prairie... The big cottonwoods, the song of the meadowlark. So, all those things I like better about Omaha.

I also like how Omaha has really put itself on the map with Omaha Steaks, Mutual of Omaha, the Henry Doorly Zoo, Warren Buffet, the College World Series, ect. That's not usual for a Midwestern town our size. Does Des Moines or Wichita have that? No. That is something to be proud of. We don't exactly have an identity crisis here...

(I just met a woman that moved here from Memphis years ago, and she absolutely loves Omaha. Same thing: I love Memphis' gritty aspect & soul, and position on the wide Mississippi. But, it doesn't have that "growing, blossoming city" aspect that Omaha has.)

My biggest beef with Omaha is having a more consistent design theme, and to find one that matches Nebraska well. We're getting there, though, thankfully... Des Moines & Minneapolis & Madison & Milwaukee all have new construction/design that matches very well, and has a consistant theme, where Omaha is tugged between design influences from the East & the West. (Our suburban housing reveals that most: We have neighborhoods that look like suburban Denver, and others that look like suburban Chicago.) Maybe that mix is what makes us unique, though. Places like Salt Lake City are similar. In that town, you could build a Southwestern style house or building, or a Rocky Mountain-style house or building, and both would be totally justified. It is also tugged between regions & design influences.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Louie wrote:
I have yet to do this. But you guys have given me an idea for the weekend, lol..

This entire Capitol District will serve its purpose well and be the gateway to further activity/development in North Downtown..the closer we get to a more lively, 365 day a year vitality for the area..Not just during the 2 week CWS event..more sustainable development should pop...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
symphie
New to the Neighborhood

Post by symphie »

Just seconding everyone's thoughts above, I am so thankful a forum such as this exists. It is great to know that so many others care about development here. Makes me even more proud to be from Omaha!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I was saying this to family the other day, via text, while in the new CB Playland Park area: "Omaha looks the best it ever has." They've really done an awesome job.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I can vouch for the fact that most people have a lot of pride for Omaha given that I'm a high school student and many of my peers always say things like they love this city and whatnot and all of the photography of Omaha that is on the internet and shared so widely by people my age shows that we really do care about this city. That gives me hope that when we get into the workforce we will stay here and help push our city forward at an even faster rate than now! (:
#gohawks
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

buildomaha wrote:I can vouch for the fact that most people have a lot of pride for Omaha given that I'm a high school student and many of my peers always say things like they love this city and whatnot and all of the photography of Omaha that is on the internet and shared so widely by people my age shows that we really do care about this city. That gives me hope that when we get into the workforce we will stay here and help push our city forward at an even faster rate than now! (:
This is fantastic to hear. Feel free to invite any of your like minded friends to look into and join the forum..

We (Omaha) needs you (young people).. and most importantly, we need you to STAY HERE once you graduate high school/college :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!