New York City

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

New York City

Post by Brad »

Back in August, my wife and I spent a week in Washington DC and New York City! Had the opportunity to get out and take a few photographs. Here are 4 from New York.

Also, I included a direct link to each photo under the photo in case you want to see it larger than this forum allows. While I don't post the full resolution photo online, they will be larger on the link then the image you see embedded in the post if you are using a larger desk top monitor. The first photo's actual resolution is so high that I could probably print it out 20' wide and 5' tall and it would be completely clear. Images 2-4 are single images and could be printed 5' wide and 2.5' tall with no problems.

The first photo turned out better than I could have ever hoped for. We were over on the New Jersey side and were treated to an absolutely magical light show by mother nature! Easily the best skyline photo outside of Omaha I have ever taken! While I don't think I will ever print it 20' wide, I would like to have a nice large print of it some day. To me a photo is not complete until its printed large and hanging on the wall.

1. New York City - Jersey View
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com/ ... rsey-view/

2. Sailing Around Manhattan
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com/ ... manhattan/

3. Brooklyn Sunset
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com/ ... yn-sunset/

4. Lower Manhattan Morning
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com/ ... n-morning/
bmt
Home Owners Association

Re: New York City

Post by bmt »

Great work! I never get tired of seeing NYC from that first angle.
Brad wrote:To me a photo is not complete until its printed large and hanging on the wall.
I take it there is not much empty wall space at your house then? :lol:
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Wow, nice shots!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Love them all but #3 stands out to me!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks Guys!
bmt wrote:I take it there is not much empty wall space at your house then? :lol:
Basement isn't finished yet... :;):
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Good shots!

I'm assuming those last two are from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, one of the best views of the eastern side of Lower Manhattan. Another good vantage point is the walkway of the Pulaski Bridge, right on the border of Brooklyn and Queens. This gives good views of the 30-ish part of midtown Manhattan.

Here is a shot I recently posted on another site. It's one that I took while in my teens and first getting into photography. It's a view of Coney Island and it shows all three of the legacy coasters. Cyclone (barely, far left), Tornado (center) and then Thunderbolt, which was featured in the film Annie Hall.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omababe wrote:Good shots!

I'm assuming those last two are from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, one of the best views of the eastern side of Lower Manhattan. Another good vantage point is the walkway of the Pulaski Bridge, right on the border of Brooklyn and Queens. This gives good views of the 30-ish part of midtown Manhattan.
Thanks. Google shows it as "Pier 1", and Shows the Promenade a little further south. Not sure if its all the same area or not. We just wondered around until I found the view I was looking for.

I would really like to see if there is sidewalk or lookout from the Manhattan Bridge, it seems like it would be a great place to take a photo.
Omababe wrote:Here is a shot I recently posted on another site. It's one that I took while in my teens and first getting into photography. It's a view of Coney Island and it shows all three of the legacy coasters. Cyclone (barely, far left), Tornado (center) and then Thunderbolt, which was featured in the film Annie Hall.
Cool, I have never been down that way. This trip we stayed at a friends place on the upper west side and didn't really venture too far away from Manhattan/Lower Manhattan other than to take a few photos.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Yes, you should be able to walk across the Manhattan Bridge. At least you still could the last time I was in the area, which was several years ago. Just go east on Canal until you hit The Bowery and the path should be obvious to the right of The Collonade, IIRC. When you get to the Brooklyn side you will be in the area they call Dumbo. Very artsy and trendy. There are a couple of little parks and a path along the waterfront between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges which will give excellent views of Manhattan.

Yes, the whole area you were in was Brooklyn Heights. It's a very nice mostly residential district. Tres spendy! I recommend that for views of Manhattan. The instructions I usually give people is to get off at either the High Street (IND) or Clark (IRT) station and follow any "fruit" street west.

That part of Brooklyn is very nice. Brooklyn still has somewhat of a reputation of nasty slums and street gangs and such, but there are many very nice areas in there. Even some of the "earthier" parts when I lived there are now surprisingly gentrified.

Coney is just a shell of what it once was, amusement wise. Astroland is gone. Cyclone is still there and operating, but much of the area is "mixed use" redevelopment. The new ball park is more or less where Thunderbolt was.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Cool, great shots! I was in NYC three times in 2015... Was looking to move there, but now I've totally lost interest, I think. If I move from Omaha, I'm looking at other cities now...

Honestly, I just don't like the city the same w/out the former twin WTC towers. As much as it is neat skyscraper, I just don't warm up to that new Freedom Tower. Being glassy, being one tower, and smaller in circumference than the square of the original WTC towers, it just seems a bit "weak" to me. If the building were simply enlarged in height & width, I may like it better at the Ground Zero location. When all the new skyscrapers in that area are completed, I think it will be very cool. But, still....those iconic twin towers still go strangely missing, imo, and "New York, New York!" will never feel or be the same again. That shows the power of architecture.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.