Buddhist statue in North O

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

w8ing
Human Relations

Buddhist statue in North O

Post by w8ing »

One day last fall I was driving on the east end of Sorenson Pkwy and noticed a very out of place Asian statue near Fort St. maybe 5 blocks west from 30th. I didn't get around to stopping and taking a picture until earlier this year. At that time, there were still Christmas lights around it and the picture wasn't great. Ironic that that were Christmas lights because it was a Buddhist statue.

It has Guanshiyin Bodhisattava written below it. It's really beautiful and worth a stop to check it out. Despite the location and only a chain link fence and gate for a barrier, there are no graffiti tags or litter. It is on the same land as some type of Vietnamese center, I believe.

I went back today for better pics.

Uffda
County Board

Re: Buddhist statue in North O

Post by Uffda »

There has been a lot more statues and landscaping added over the years. I drive by every day and have never seen anyone in there. Also I don't think I have ever seen a story on it.

shoottofill
Home Owners Association

Post by shoottofill »

I just passed that last week and thought, "I need to come back here with a camera"
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

shoottofill wrote:I just passed that last week and thought, "I need to come back here with a camera"
I have been thinking that ever since w8ing posted that. I looked at their website a few years back, I think it is now a Vietnamese Worship Center... They do have tours/open house
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »