HOW TO POST PICTURES

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

HOW TO POST PICTURES

Post by Brad »

HOW TO POST PICTURES

From time to time people ask how to post pictures so here is a quick answer.

First off, if anyone wants to see how someone does anything in their post, just hit the quote button and look at all the "code" that is between the [ and the ]

Pictures need to be stored some where on the internet.  There are several free host or if you have a website, host it there.  some free examples are Imageshack, Tinypic, photobucket.  They are all free but all have different rules and restrictions.  Read the terms of service and see which one meets your need.  For the record I am VERY happy with Imageshack, others here are happy with Tinypic.

Pictures should look like this and the image button is at the red arrow:

The same principal works with any picture you see on the internet.  Move you mouse over the image, right click, select properties.  Then all you have to do is cut and past the link, highlight the link and hit the image button.  like this, I will post the eomahaforums banner....

Last edited by Brad on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

HOW TO UPLOAD PICTURES TO POSTIMAGE.ORG

Below the text space in a post reply box you will find an Add image to post link.
A PostImage.org window will then appear. But here is the tricky part. I can only get it to work this way:

Do not browse for a file here - but click on the bottom About
and in the next window - Upload your images -
Now browse from folders the file you want. You can enter a description. Now upload it.
Now copy to clipboard the BBCode and in the text box here ctrl - v it.

It will now copy both a url and an img tag and it will provide a thumbnail:

Click on the image to see the full image.
WARNYOU
New to the Neighborhood

Post by WARNYOU »

[/img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7 ... cNG7lwzcMW[imghttp://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce36b3127ccebef7c28db9fd00000036100EcNG7lwzcMW][/img]

Ok now I was not born yesterday. I've posted thousands of photos on other forums what is the trick here?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

WARNYOU wrote:Image

Ok now I was not born yesterday. I've posted thousands of photos on other forums what is the trick here?
I dont know why you have so many extra img in there but it should look like my edit, however those are mising some kind of jpg tif or bmp extension in them?
WARNYOU
New to the Neighborhood

Post by WARNYOU »

I use Shutterfly,  If it does not have the jpg on the end can I put it on manually?
Admin
Law Enforcement

Re: HOW TO POST PICTURES

Post by Admin »

We have added the "Add image to post" Mod. Right above and below the Text area in the Post A Reply page you will find the link that will open a window where you can again upload a picture to Postimage.org and then link it on your post. From testing it, it does not insert the link into your post, so you will have to copy and paste it once the link is made below the Tip text (Above the "Add image to Post" text. It will insert a Thumbnail, which anyone can click on to see the full size version.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Anyone have a good recommendation for a good photo hosting app? Photo Bucket now charges a hefty fee to enable 3rd party linking. I fell into their trap and got all mine back by paying. What is everyone else using???
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It's not as no frills as it was in the past, but Imgur is what I use.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

U R my Helix wrote:Anyone have a good recommendation for a good photo hosting app? Photo Bucket now charges a hefty fee to enable 3rd party linking. I fell into their trap and got all mine back by paying. What is everyone else using???
I think people are still using flickr.

That said, you can get your own domain and website for like $4 a month on Go Daddy. You wouldn't even need a website if you didn't want, just pay the $4 and drop all your photos in there and link them straight from your own domain name.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I also use imgur although I usually just use the mod on here that allows you to upload directly to here.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

We are trying to make posting images easier. If you go through attachments and post pics you can only post an image around 259k in size. By using this new feature I believe you can post a thumbnail which when clicked shows the full image on Postimage.org in full size. Let us know what you think...

U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Never mind this only works for the poster I guess, others can not see photos posted this way. Perhaps a mod can delete this bad advice.

I am just putting this out there as a free tool others can use for keeping and sharing photos.
If you create a private map in google you can upload photos to your map. It has a nice search feature you can use to locate your photos if you give it a good description. You can right click on your photo to "copy image address" and use it to upload your image to this forum (or anyplace else). You might like the map feature for keeping tabs of the actual photo location but if you ignore the actual map feature it is still a good photo keeper.
Easy to use and free.

example below.

Last edited by U R my Helix on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

You know what they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.