Flooding in NW Grand Island

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Flooding in NW Grand Island

Post by Candleshoe »

We got 5 1/2 inches of rain overnight in GI, leading to some spot flooding in some areas. This area, on North Webb Road near State Street was hardest hit. It's nowhere near as bad as it was a couple of years ago when we got 9 inches, but still impressive. And the summer of rain continues in Central Nebraska. 10 inches above average for the year so far, compared to 4 inches below average at this time last year.

This first photo is a little misleading. What you see in the foreground is a street, Lawrence Lane, and behind the berm is a very large rain detention cell that's perhaps a dozen feet or more deep. It couldn't keep up and overflowed.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Too bad the rain is not falling like that out at Lake McConahy
Hellenistic Kshatriya
Home Owners Association

Post by Hellenistic Kshatriya »

Saw what looked like a partially flooded field North of the Interstate near Grand Island yesterday while on the way back from Colorado... this explains that.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Well! It appears that the "Sundance" pic from the above set is appreciated by the local paper! The owner of the business is a client of mine and I emailed it to him. He, in turn, sent it to a reporter who was doing a piece on the flooding and had interviewed him about the damages at the store. This photo appeared on the FRONT PAGE of the GI Independent this morning, credited as a "courtesy photo".

Don't know whether to be proud or ticked with the paper... The businessman gave them my name when he sent the pic to them. Maybe it cuz I work in radio? Oh the irony!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Is this on its way to Grand Island?

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I have been nervous about flooding out west a lot this week.. I knew that there would be some so hopefully it doesn't effect any communities! Also.. even though I don't have a lot of love in my heart for Colorado its truly heart breaking seeing what Boulder is dealing with this last week..
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Coyote wrote:Is this on its way to Grand Island?
This is what the main channel south of Alda looks like from Shoemaker Island as of Wednesday afternoon.

DSCN5757 by candleshoe, on Flickr
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Are there preventative measures in place to deal with floods along the Platte?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I drove over the Platte Thursday night, not much water near Grand Island.  Stayed the night in North Platte, got up Thursday and not much water.  Drove to Paxton, NE an there was literally someone driving an airboat next to the interstate...  What a difference a few miles makes.  Water had really receded around Fort Morgan and Stealing, CO.  You could see where it was and there was still a lot, but not like earlier in the week.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

4pm river totals: South Platte at North Platte is at 14.32' and the Platte River in Brady is at10.91' .
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

KNOP-TV wrote:An even bigger crest than originally expected in North Platte on the South Platte River. The original crest was set at 13.88 feet. Figures from the National Weather Service show that level rose to 14.2 overnight. We have a reporter in the eastern part of Lincoln County today, following the river.

According to the NWS, possible impacts in North Platte include:
18.5' - Low steel of the Highway 83 bridge.
18.3' - Water begins to flow into the Sonic parking lot.
17' - Water reaches the Quality Inn and Pizza Hut parking lots.
15' - Major flood stage.
Widespread flooding of homes and businesses along the South Platte River in and around the City of North Platte.
14' - Moderate flood stage.
Flooding of homes along the South Platte River including the City of North Platte. Water may begin to cover South River Road.
13' - Flood Stage. Flooding of yards may occur around homes in Hidden Lakes.
12.9' - Backwash may occur into sewer and storm drains on east Phillip near Buffalo Bill Drive in city of North Platte.
12' - Flooding occurs on the east end of Iron Eagle Golf Course.
10' - Ponding of water and flooding of low lying areas at Iron Eagle Golf Course.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska flooding sets records as water moves east
Lincoln Journal Star wrote:The Weather Service predicts minor flooding this week in several central Nebraska cities. The river already was rising near Lexington and Overton.

Minor flooding is also predicted in Kearney starting on Tuesday and in Grand Island beginning Wednesday.

Downstream of Grand Island, the Weather Service doesn't expect the Platte River to rise high enough to cause flooding.