Chamonix - French Alps

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Chamonix - French Alps

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Hello everybody.

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been posting as much in the last couple of weeks (...or not!).  It's because I left for France on January 2nd and will be here through June.  I'm in a city called Besançon, which is in the French region of Franche-Compté.  It's a really vibrant, beautiful, old city.  I haven't really taken any city photos yet as I've been pretty busy and it's been raining a lot (but I will, don't worry...LOTS of photos to come over the next several months).

However, I went skiing over the weekend in the French Alps, on the Massif du Mont Blanc, in a town called Chamonix.  Here are some pictures of the town and some of the mountains.

Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great Shots Aaron.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Spectacular shots Aaron! A beautiful place indeed.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Spectacular! That's a sweet ski village, looks awesome. The Alps are really rugged, reminds me of the Tetons. :) Nice job.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That town almost looks fake. Nice pictures.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I bet you are pinching yourself!  What a beautiful area.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Awesome pics (as usual).  Thanks for sharing!!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Yes, it really was spectacular.  Me and my friend had to keep stopping and asking, "is this place real?"  Haha.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Dude, I totally left you a drunk voice mail a few days ago. It was like 2am and I was trying to figure out if you were awake yet or something...don't remember.

Ca va?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Oui, ça va bien!

Ha!  Yeah, I have a new cell phone here in France.  I'll send it to you.
Rob
Home Owners Association

Post by Rob »

Aaron-

Beautiful pictures....I'm jealous.  It has been awhile since we went on a roadtrip together...enjoy yourself and keep us updated.[/i]
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow. Rob! It's been about 2 years since your last post. Welcome back.
Rob
Home Owners Association

Post by Rob »

Thanks Coyote!  I've been lurking here for awhile....but haven't posted much.  I had an opportunity to be a part of the 1st Forum meet years ago with Jeff, Aaron and others...but living in DC and fighting to overcome Cancer put me out of the game for awhile.  I cannot tell you how proud I am of my hometown.  I did have a chance to make it home for Thanksgiving and had a great time...it is amazing how quickly the city has changed (for the better).

Keep up the good work everyone with your contributions.  The site helps me overcome my homesickness!  Even after moving to DC many years ago....Omaha has never left my heart as the place I call home.  If any of you make it out this way...let me know....I will be glad to give you the official tour!
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

ROB!!!!!

So great to hear from you!  I hope all is well.  I'll definitely be taking TONS of pictures while I'm in Europe, so check in often to see if there are any new threads!