Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 19924
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Coyote » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:04 pm

How many lay ups did CU miss? They looked so out of it from the very beginning, it was embarrassing.
Only good to come out of the game was Harrell looking good at PG.
Image

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 2933
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Uffda » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Didn't see the game I was driving but a friend posted this

Retweeted Matt DeMarinis (@mjdemarinis):
Some staggering stats from this game ...
1. Creighton missed 11 of 17 layups.
2. Rhode Island scored on 14 of their final 17 possessions.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5799
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Honestly, the Jays played one of their worst games of the season. Horrible shooting and as was pointed out by Coyote, Uffda etc.. 11 of 17 layups missed..

As distressing, JP played weak, tentative and ended up fouling out. Marcus kept forcing up jumpers and missed at least 3 easy layups on his own. It's one thing to perform like this against Villanova.. But against Rhode Island? C'mon. No disrespect meant to them, but C'MON..

A bad, embarrassing loss. Out played, coached and hustled. The trifecta...

But as MadMartin stated, there is much to look forward to for next season.. JP needs at least another year in college and honestly, Foster is too inconsistent at this point to bolt to the professional level...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

jag42
Home Owners Association
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby jag42 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Another first round exit for CU.

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Not a good end to a once promising season...looking at the 18-1 start, you have to argue that this is the most depressing season in Creighton history.

The thing I hated about today's game is that Creighton didn't bring anything. Ronnie was the only guy who played with any sort of consistency and even he had 4 turnovers. I would have at least like to see some fight in the players, but it just wasn't there at all.

It sounds like a broken record, but why can't Creighton ever get one of those 20 pt wins in the tournament. Even the games they have won have been very close. The biggest win that I can remember point-wise was against Lafayette by 10, and even that game was no calk walk. For whatever reason they always seem to look shell-shocked when tournament play starts. It just seems so surprising b/c they play well during most of the regular season and even in the conference tournaments but once the NCAA's come around, different story.

twiztid1
Home Owners Association
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby twiztid1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:05 pm

A big part of Creighton's lack of tournament success is they're too dependent on scoring, especially jump shots. By the end of the season, their legs are gone which causes poor shooting. This season's emphasis on transition offense made it worse. Patton and Foster didn't even have legs to finish layups today. Late in the game, Patton missed an easy lay in when he should have thrown it down instead.

Jays have to learn how to play defense and rebound. Those are the keys to championships. Sometimes, shots just don't fall. Good defense turns into good offense too.

It would also help if Mac took his starters out of games earlier.

MadMartin8
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby MadMartin8 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:22 am

twiztid1 wrote:A big part of Creighton's lack of tournament success is they're too dependent on scoring, especially jump shots. By the end of the season, their legs are gone which causes poor shooting. This season's emphasis on transition offense made it worse. Patton and Foster didn't even have legs to finish layups today. Late in the game, Patton missed an easy lay in when he should have thrown it down instead.

Jays have to learn how to play defense and rebound. Those are the keys to championships. Sometimes, shots just don't fall. Good defense turns into good offense too.

It would also help if Mac took his starters out of games earlier.



Spot on!
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby GetUrban » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:56 am

MadMartin8 wrote:
twiztid1 wrote:A big part of Creighton's lack of tournament success is they're too dependent on scoring, especially jump shots. By the end of the season, their legs are gone which causes poor shooting. This season's emphasis on transition offense made it worse. Patton and Foster didn't even have legs to finish layups today. Late in the game, Patton missed an easy lay in when he should have thrown it down instead.

Jays have to learn how to play defense and rebound. Those are the keys to championships. Sometimes, shots just don't fall. Good defense turns into good offense too.

It would also help if Mac took his starters out of games earlier.



Spot on!


I'm no expert, but aren't all teams dependent on scoring to win? lol. Unless they don't allow the other team to score, of course. But seriously, I think that's why RI won...because of their defense.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

MadMartin8
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby MadMartin8 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:01 am

GetUrban wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
twiztid1 wrote:A big part of Creighton's lack of tournament success is they're too dependent on scoring, especially jump shots. By the end of the season, their legs are gone which causes poor shooting. This season's emphasis on transition offense made it worse. Patton and Foster didn't even have legs to finish layups today. Late in the game, Patton missed an easy lay in when he should have thrown it down instead.

Jays have to learn how to play defense and rebound. Those are the keys to championships. Sometimes, shots just don't fall. Good defense turns into good offense too.

It would also help if Mac took his starters out of games earlier.



Spot on!


I'm no expert, but aren't all teams dependent on scoring to win? lol.


Except in the 5th quarter when it turns into a scoring system like golf of course.


I'm pretty sure Twiztid was referring to the fact that Creighton is too dependent on simply fast scoring strikes, relying on high shooting percentages and simply hoping to win a game based on that. They need to learn to be able to handle teams that like to, and can, slow the game down and grind out wins with defense.
No posts exist for this topic

twiztid1
Home Owners Association
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby twiztid1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:39 pm

GetUrban wrote:


I'm no expert, but aren't all teams dependent on scoring to win? lol. Unless they don't allow the other team to score, of course. But seriously, I think that's why RI won...because of their defense.


Literally speaking, yes. But when Creighton's shots aren't falling, they have no answer because their mentality is to score in bunches. Their best defense is to basically score teams into panicking and taking bad shots. It hurts their defensive rebounding too. When Doug was here, they pretty much just stood straight up on the defensive end as to not risk picking up fouls.

It's always a matter of time until the Jays go cold. If they were a defense first team, they could get through poor shooting. They would physically be tougher. Most importantly, defense doesn't quit. And their transition offense is more effective when they can get stops.

Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:21 am

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Nick808402 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:36 am

Great point about Mac not pulling starters earlier. He didn't go to the end of the bench even in blowout double digit wins until the last 2 min.
Losing Zierden, Huff, and Hanson is going to be tough. Veterans who contributed solid minutes.

Going to be interesting to see how position battles play out. I think we have a very full roster of guys who can play. Hopefully it benefits everyone and we get fierce starting 5 with a great bench rotation. Wouldn't be surprised to see Paras bolt off to some school where he could possibly see more playing time. Kid has potential but he looks like an idiot on the court whenever I've seen him play (lost on both defense and offense for most of the year). Mac should have redshirted him.
Clement is only a Jr btw, but I don't think he'll see any minutes with Mintz and Joseph rotating at PG.

Starting 5 prediction, if Foster and Patton stay
Joseph - Thomas - Foster - Hegner - Patton
If they go
Joseph - Thomas - Harrell - Hegner - Dunkum/Epperson

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5799
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Well, Wichita State just lost.. And even though CU has moved up to the Big East conference, this event always puts a smile on this Bluejay fans face :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby skinzfan23 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Well, Wichita State just lost.. And even though CU has moved up to the Big East conference, this event always puts a smile on this Bluejay fans face :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Yes I agree, if Wichita would have won, not only would I have hated that they would be in the Sweet 16, but they would have killed my bracket as well.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5799
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:46 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Well, Wichita State just lost.. And even though CU has moved up to the Big East conference, this event always puts a smile on this Bluejay fans face :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Yes I agree, if Wichita would have won, not only would I have hated that they would be in the Sweet 16, but they would have killed my bracket as well.


How did Duke and Villanova losing affect your brackets?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby skinzfan23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:04 am

Duke not so much, but Nova shot almost every bracket up.

Greg S
Planning Board
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Greg S » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:33 am

Duke had a much bigger effect in ours.

Greg

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5799
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:19 pm

I had 'Nova in the final 4.. I thought Duke would reach the Elite 8..

I'm pretty much shot too...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 19924
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Coyote » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Reports say Foster is coming back next year.
Image

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Coyote wrote:Reports say Foster is coming back next year.

Glad to hear, but I think most expected this since Foster isn't really projected to go high in the draft if at all. Another year of development will really help him.

Can't wait to hear about Patton, but I figure it might be a month or two yet.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 19924
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Coyote » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:19 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:Can't wait to hear about Patton, but I figure it might be a month or two yet.

I'm sure he will submit his name and tests the waters, and he could get plenty of coin to sit on the bench, but he needs to bulk up and learn some D. I hope he realizes that...
Image

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5799
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:20 pm

Coyote wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Can't wait to hear about Patton, but I figure it might be a month or two yet.

I'm sure he will submit his name and tests the waters, and he could get plenty of coin to sit on the bench, but he needs to bulk up and learn some D. I hope he realizes that...


Glad to see Foster back. I think going out the way he did last week in the tournament left a bad taste in his mouth.. I'd hope JP feels the same way. He left absolutely ZERO impression on college basketball's biggest stage.. Even more than Marcus, JP would benefit GREATLY from another year playing college basketball...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:05 am

Sounds like the last day for Patton to make a decision is May 24th, which is the NCAA deadline.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 19924
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby Coyote » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:07 am

skinzfan23 wrote:Sounds like the last day for Patton to make a decision is May 24th, which is the NCAA deadline.

He can undeclare if he does not hire an agent.
Image

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:09 am

skinzfan23 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Reports say Foster is coming back next year.

Glad to hear, but I think most expected this since Foster isn't really projected to go high in the draft if at all. Another year of development will really help him.

Can't wait to hear about Patton, but I figure it might be a month or two yet.



They say if Patton goes in the draft he has a good chance of getting picked 10th to 20th. If that is the case he has to go in my opinion. Is he ready for the Pros? No way! But he wasn't ready for college yet either. Against Rhode Island he looked like some kid who had just got out of high school last year. He needs a lot more practice and if the pros are willing to gamble millions that hes going to develop then he should take the money and run. To risky to stay at Creighton.

MadMartin8
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Xavier upsets Zona. Wow, where did this come from?
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:21 am

Love Coach Mac's response to Justin Patton announcing that Tyler Clement is coming back for his senior season:


Coach McDermott
@cucoachmac

I will finally be able to sleep tonight. Welcome back @TylerClement_11 !! twitter.com/JustinPatton17…


Return to “Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest